GAY Teacher investigated for anti-gay facebook posts

eileenbunny

Druish Princess
May 25, 2005
Columbia, Maryland, United States
Marklar
₥3,190
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/13/viki-knox-union-township-_n_1009582.html

Here's one article on this issue but there's tons out there now.

I'm on the fence on this one. On the one hand I think she has the right to say what she wants to, but on the other, I guess it depends on where she's saying these things. Facebook fine, in the classroom not so much. Also, I'm not sure how I feel about a bulletin board in schools celebrating any kind of sex. As far as I am aware we don't have heterosexuality history month. Why should we have LGBT history month? I feel the same about black history month and breast cancer awareness month. If we aren't going to have a month being aware of and exploring the history of everything, maybe we just shouldn't do it at all. I'm not a fan of hate but I'm also not a fan of telling anyone what they can or cannot think.

What do you all think?

I'm with you on the 'specialty month' crap. We don't need a black history month any more than we need a LGBT month. If I wanted to learn about white history, I have to read a book on it. Why shouldn't anyone else?

Just like laws that make a crime a 'hate crime' just because it's against a minority. It's bullshit. If you kill someone, what fucking reason should it matter why. Your ass goes to jail. If you do it with exception depraved indifference, then you go away for life.

If we want special interests out of politics, then we also need to remove them from sociology. We are all just people. That's the only way it should be looked at.

We don't treat people with breast cancer like second class citizens either but they get a month.

So giving them a special month makes up for that?

It's all about awareness. If people aren't thinking about them, then their causes aren't being successful.

Simply solution really. Treat homosexuals the same way you treat heterosexuals and they wont need that month.

First amendment rights dont apply to teachers? What they do at home is none of the schools bussiness

I agree. I f not done in conjunction with the school then she has every right to be as bigoted as she pleases.

Man, I sure hope the company I work for doesn't come across my secret blog full of eskimo hate.

Goddamn polar gooks.

It's all about awareness. If people aren't thinking about them, then their causes aren't being successful.

Simply solution really. Treat homosexuals the same way you treat heterosexuals and they wont need that month.

What number of people in the US do you suppose aren't aware of LGBT? I bet it's pretty small and the massive majority of them are children. As far as how they are treated, shouldn't everyone have the right to decide how they feel about it on their own?

What number of people in the US do you suppose aren't aware of LGBT? I bet it's pretty small and the massive majority of them are children. As far as how they are treated, shouldn't everyone have the right to decide how they feel about it on their own?

They do have that right.

Problem is, most people in the western world can't focus on one thing for longer than a few minutes. So, for one month every year, we have organizations remind people constantly.

I don't want to comment in this thread, but I do want to point out this is not a new situation where FB status/notes are questioned as freedom of speech.

Jerry Buell of FL was the latest teacher for his comments in FB that got him suspended. He has since been reinstated.

There is also a TN man that had a similar issue.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...le-paramedic-suspended-for-anti-gay-postings-

His story was a bit different because not only did he post disparaging remarks on his own personal page, but also the Nashville Fire Department Emergency Medical Services’ page. His suspension stuck and was not revoked.

Man oh man I can't wait for national too fat to leave the house month.

Then you'll all be aware and stuff.

Because awareness, is what brings people together, yeah.

Every September is Childhood Obesity Awareness Month. Rightfully they don't give a fuck about the adults.

I don't want to comment in this thread, but I do want to point out this is not a new situation where FB status/notes are questioned as freedom of speech.

Jerry Buell of FL was the latest teacher for his comments in FB that got him suspended. He has since been reinstated.

There is also a TN man that had a similar issue.

http://www.tennessean.com/article/2...le-paramedic-suspended-for-anti-gay-postings-

His story was a bit different because not only did he post disparaging remarks on his own personal page, but also the Nashville Fire Department Emergency Medical Services’ page. His suspension stuck and was not revoked.

It's true, it's happening more and more, and not just on the gay rights issue. Companies are firing employees over opinions they've posted on their personal facebook page too. It's a fuzzy line I think and I'm not sure where we need to draw it.

And Dave, your opinion would probably be a valuable addition to this conversation. Why not give it?

One of the reasons this country fails so miserably, and will probably always fail miserably, is that we go out of our way to establish cliques and remind ourselves how different everyone is. Unity in this country is a veil.

• Gravy
Reactions: 1 person
It's true, it's happening more and more, and not just on the gay rights issue. Companies are firing employees over opinions they've posted on their personal facebook page too. It's a fuzzy line I think and I'm not sure where we need to draw it.
Private companies are different than a public school. Presumably teachers are in the civil service? There is usually a clear legal mandate for how government employees are hired/fired. Private companies can terminate your employment if they don't like you *shrug*