Halp Taxable Investment Accounts: UF fo you have them?

my retirement fund is doing awesome. Im up 110% and its a ridiculously safe fund.

Even in the depth of the recession, i never dipped below my investment.

And technically that 110% is 210% as my work matches my contribution

@Casper, so I just read this:

Do you own any international stocks/funds? If so, can you explain this? Why would I be paying foreign taxes? :confused:

I have no experience with international funds. Any international exposure I've had was through ADRs. Sorry.

Last edited by a moderator:
my retirement fund is doing awesome. Im up 110% and its a ridiculously safe fund.

Even in the depth of the recession, i never dipped below my investment.

And technically that 110% is 210% as my work matches my contribution

You'd probably be much better off to increase the risk at your age.

edit: And I cheated. Coqui's is way too risky, imho. But it's worked... :p

Last edited:
I have no experience with international funds. Any international exposure I've had was through ADRs. Sorry.

Yeah, it seems that I can reduce my taxable income in the US by showing that I've paid foreign taxes. I'm just wondering how I will know. I guess I'll maybe get some 1098 for it? :iono:

Yeah, it seems that I can reduce my taxable income in the US by showing that I've paid foreign taxes. I'm just wondering how I will know. I guess I'll maybe get some 1098 for it? :iono:

When my friend was trading in Canadian REITs, he said his broker withheld foreign taxes from the dividend payments. So he never had to do anything as far as I know. I'm not sure what that meant for him come tax time -- if those taxes were deductible.

I'm not sure that would encourage me to invest overseas. But it certainly doesn't give me reservations about doing so. I've found there to be no shortage of good U.S. investments.

Nah, the idea is that if international stocks are going to be part of your portfolio (and they probably should), then the international stuff should be in your taxable account so that you can actually get credit on the taxes.

What do you have your eye on? Most of the emerging market funds I've been following have been laggards -- even the BRICs.

You'd probably be much better off to increase the risk at your age.

edit: And I cheated. Coqui's is way too risky, imho. But it's worked... :p

You're right, i should. But im not going to.

I have maybe 10% in risky funds. A lot of my coworkers had like 80%. When things really really crashed badly in 2010, they lost almost everything. I stopped gaining, but i didnt lose a dime.