Tattoo Geekery

I could set you up with some exercises and various other things to get rid of that innertube around your midsection.

bast_imret said:
I figured you and blondie would be meeting us downtown for drinks.

Most likely, just tell us where and when...that is unless you guys want to come to Bar ERage for a good time and good drinks. 1 free topless blonde tabledance for the first 5 customers through the door! :hi2u:

misha_whote.gif
misha_whote.gif
misha_whote.gif
misha_whote.gif
misha_whote.gif

Last edited:
I just have a dragon on one arm and a star within a star on the other one. My wife has a matching star one. I want another one but I haven't figured out what I want yet.

thrawn said:
May I ask the significance of the art?

I've always enjoyed the history behind the Japanese culture, especially traditional japanese irezumi or horimono work, and the many different designs. With the influence of western tatuu or tattoo styles, more and more artists have begun working with the machines, but you can still find some masters in Japan that use the manual irezumi method. Few and far between though. Apparently they claim that no machined tattoo looks quite as vibrant as one done by hand. The ability to work is so many layers and shades of color is amazing. Very long and painful process though.

Anyway, unless I'm booking a flight to Japan, I'm probably out of luck there. At one point, I looked into have Chris Garver (from Miami Ink) do the work, since Miami's not that far away. He's one of the best neo-traditional japanese tattoo artists there is. But it was waaaaay too much hassle to try to get in the shop, cause you actually had to apply to be on the show, go through all different approvals, have some big story behind it that would look good on TV, like someone dying or something. Meh.

But I did happen to find a local artist, Dennis, who is into traditional and neo-traditional japanese work. I had started thinking about the idea of a Koi tattoo awhile back (shortly after I got my phoenix done, so probably about a year ago), so I used some of the history and myth behind the designs to come up with some basic design guidelines for Dennis to work off of, but I wanted to leave alot of the creativity to him.

Koi have alot of myth surrounding them in the East, which is why some prized ones sell for hundreds of thousands of dollars. It's also one of the most popular symbols in japanese tattoos. Here's an excerpt from an article that explains it pretty well:
It is said to climb waterfalls bravely, and, if caught, it lies upon the cutting board awaiting the knife without a quiver, not unlike a samurai (warrior) facing a sword. This theme dates back to ancient China, where a legend tells of how any koi that succeeded in climbing the falls at a point called Dragon Gate (on the Yellow River) would be transformed into a dragon. Based on that legend, it became a symbol of worldly aspiration and advancement. Eventually, the stoic fish came to be associated with so many masculine and positive qualities that it was appropriated for the annual Boys' Day Festival in Japan where even today colorful, streaming koi flags are traditionally displayed for each son in the family. In tattoo imagery, especially in combination with flowing water, it symbolizes much the same: courage, the ability to attain high goals, and overcoming life's difficulties.

So yea, there you go.

Last edited:
ERage said:
Most likely, just tell us where and when...that is unless you guys want to come to Bar ERage for a good time and good drinks. 1 free topless blonde tabledance for the first 5 customers through the door! :hi2u:

misha_whote.gif
misha_whote.gif
misha_whote.gif
misha_whote.gif
misha_whote.gif

I'll give you guys a call. Probably be downtown, I think there's some other people coming out too.

Like I said, you should come by the shop on Sat afternoon while we are getting inked. Maybe find a nice unicorn design for you :fly:

Theac, did you call him to see if he'd have something ready before you came down?

b_sin, we'll be at Black Orchid on Drayton Street most of Sat afternoon.

I own Top Secret on DVD :fly:

Odd, I've never been there and it's only a few blocks from where I'm sitting. If I find something to do with my son I'll try to drop by and say hey. I'd bring him but I'm trying to minimize his exposure to freaks. He's around his mother and I enough.

Pandora said:
It is???? Then I guess I won't say anything then.

He's getting a tattoo of my ass on his ass.

Is there a tattoo of his ass on the tattoo of your ass?

Some girl on the geek tattoo website has a powerpoint icon tattoo. Why in hell would you want that?!