Tables are turned PS3 powns Xbox 360 in power.

Ryokurin

Erect Member
Oct 15, 2004
www.ryokurin.net
Marklar
₥0
http://www.cgno.com/news_live.php?name=sony hammered at the moment.

PlayStation 3's hardware has gotten a little more detailed. The main CELL processor included will run at 3.2GHz, and feature 7 SPEs. The nVidia GPU will run at 550MHz, and there will be two 256MB RAM sticks included, for a total of 512MB. PS3 will have robust multimedia support, including: video chat, internet access, digital photo viewing, digital audio and video playback.

It's just been confirmed that the PS3 will have a detachable hard drive, six USB ports, a memory stick slot, and seven bluetooth wireless controllers.

Kaz Hirai has taken the stage, beginning his speech with "190 million PS2s sold. 2 billion software sales" Hirai then began speaking about PlayStation 3... It features the CELL processor as previously reported, and also features a Blu-Ray Disk drive, running at 6x. Backwards compatibility with both PlayStation and PlayStation 2 games has also just been confirmed. Hirai also stated that PlayStation 3 runs at twice the speed of Xbox 360. The PlayStation 3 console is capable of reaching 10 Terraflops of processing information.

other things I've seen thats confirmed

2 HDMI outputs
system is setup for 256m of Rambus and 256m of GDDR vram
graphics is twice as powerful as a 6800 Ultra.
Floating point is twice as powerful as 360 at the same clock speed.

Discuss...

sorry. 360. aren't you an admin? fix my mistake. please! I'll virtually dance at your wedding!

PS3sn1comp.JPG

me000057092628pe.jpg

Last edited:
WTF does it have 2 HDMI outs for? Interesting that its technically more powerful. I'd like to see how easy it is to program for.

fly said:
You're too concerned with programming
And you are not enough. Hard to program for = shitty games. Early PS2 titles prove that.

Here's an interesting though. Both the Revolution and the 360 will work on PowerPC chips and ATi graphics. Sounds like a fairly easy port. Sony has a new processor no one has ever seen.

I will echo that you have too much interest in the ease of programming. Any console will have weaker titles at launch. Early XBox games prove that.

And we really don't know enough about the Revolution to know if a port from Xbox to it will be easy. Especially if the number of cores is different.

At any rate, I think I agree on the controller. I would have preferred if they stayed backwards compatible on that. (Of course, I guess they must have.... Hmm... If it still uses the controllers I currently like, I don't care what the new one looks like.)

I don't think I like the whole "place the controller on top to recharge" crap. Was that just a dumb rumor, is it true?

The fact that it is not clean lines is interesting. Not sure if it will fit in with many settings.

Overall... I like the tech promise. I love the fact that it is backwards compatible. I find it amusing that it supports 7 controllers. And I'm interested to know more about Nintendo, now. (And third party support. I must confess, whereever Final Fantasy lands, I land. :) )

taeric said:
I don't think I like the whole "place the controller on top to recharge" crap. Was that just a dumb rumor, is it true?

The fact that it is not clean lines is interesting. Not sure if it will fit in with many settings.

Overall... I like the tech promise. I love the fact that it is backwards compatible. I find it amusing that it supports 7 controllers. And I'm interested to know more about Nintendo, now. (And third party support. I must confess, whereever Final Fantasy lands, I land. :) )
I don't see any possible place to recharge it on the console. There must be some cradle to place them on to charge.

7 controllers is ... odd. I wonder why 7.

I only find 7 funny because they took a lot of heat for only having two last generation.

And I'm sure 7 has something to do with the bluetooth stack supported on the console. Supporting more was probably prohibitive.

Also, educate me on what an HDMI slot is.

And apparently its 1080p capable. Interesting because there are barely any 1080 native monitors on the market yet and it will be years before they're affordable. That's really a sign I think they're gunning for older gamers and almost completely passing kids by.

theacoustician said:
WTF does it have 2 HDMI outs for? Interesting that its technically more powerful. I'd like to see how easy it is to program for.

probably because it does 1080 P Thats right P. who knows if thats theroretical highest, but Damm.

taeric said:
I only find 7 funny because they took a lot of heat for only having two last generation.

And I'm sure 7 has something to do with the bluetooth stack supported on the console. Supporting more was probably prohibitive.

HDMI is the same signal as DVI but it includes digital audio.

Holy shit, Sony has been reading my posts. Not only does it take Memory stick, but also SD and CF.

taeric said:

Apparantly its a bluetooth limitation the 8th unit is the playstation itself.

Ryokurin said:
Apparantly its a bluetooth limitation the 8th unit is the playstation itself.
I've heard 802.11g and bluetooth have problems playing nice ogether. I wonder if that will be a problem.