Supreme Court extends federal benefits to married gay couples

DOMA was repealed; http://www.glaad.org/marriage/doma#what-is-doma

Basically, you could work for the federal government, in a state like Massachusetts, say, and despite the fact that your state recognized your marriage, you would not be able to use your federal government benefits, such as health insurance, for your spouse.

edit: so with DOMA down, it doesn't mean gay marriages can happen everywhere, it just means that the federal government isn't going to deny your spouse benefits anymore just because you're the same sex.

Not exactly. Not all of DOMA was repealed, just one section. There's still a section that talks about how states don't have to recognize gay marriages that are legal in other states. Like if a gay couple comes to Maryland to get married it doesn't mean their marriage status needs to be recognized in Virginia. This section of DOMA was not discussed by the courts in this case. I imagine it won't be long before this comes up because it is going to make things complicated for a lot of people.

Not exactly. Not all of DOMA was repealed, just one section. There's still a section that talks about how states don't have to recognize gay marriages that are legal in other states. Like if a gay couple comes to Maryland to get married it doesn't mean their marriage status needs to be recognized in Virginia. This section of DOMA was not discussed by the courts in this case. I imagine it won't be long before this comes up because it is going to make things complicated for a lot of people.

I would rather take these baby steps and eventually get to it being completely gone vs nothing at all.

It should be left to the states, so thats a good thing.

The states should make it legal, is what I hope you meant.
The states should not be able to infringe upon someone's rights, is what I meant.

Do the states have rights? yes. Do those rights include being able to limit what someone is doing if they are not harming anyone else? no.

The states should not be able to infringe upon someone's rights, is what I meant.

Do the states have rights? yes. Do those rights include being able to limit what someone is doing if they are not harming anyone else? no.
I agree with you, BUUUTTT these decisions need to be made by the states, NOT the federal government.

Omg you uptight twats still won't let the gays get married? Faaak
It's such a non issue here.
What a waste of time and money with all these campaigns. Just let them get married for fawk sakes!
Why has it even gone THIS far?

I feel like if rights are going to be extended, they need to be extended equally. You can't just let states be discriminatory as a states-rights thing, because we set a pretty big precedent when SCOTUS ruled that separate but equal was inherently equal in regards to segregation. Left to their own, states wouldn't have gone for that; as it is, even with the federal ruling there was backlash. States should be allowed to vote on whether marriage exists or not for that state, but not in a discriminatory way where it only counts for some people and not others. Either consenting adults can marry, or they can't.

What a waste of time and money with all these campaigns. Just let them get married for fawk sakes!
You're preaching to the choir here. Is there anyone on this forum that disagrees? I can't think of anyone.

America sucks in this area. :(

You want to talk about a waste of time and money? Those fuckheads in Congress have voted almost 40 times to try and repeal Obamacare. Every fucking time they get turned down. That's a waste of time and money

And when the states are run by fundamental fuckups, that decision should be taken away.

If you can't use the power responsibly, you lose it!
For the people, by the people... at least we hope. That's why its better for it to be state run... big government needs to stay out of it.

For the people, by the people... at least we hope. That's why its better for it to be state run... big government needs to stay out of it.

If the people are allowed to decide unchallenged, you end up with the tyranny of the majority, and when human and civil rights are involved, that's hardly acceptable.

If the people are allowed to decide unchallenged, you end up with the tyranny of the majority, and when human and civil rights are involved, that's hardly acceptable.

To whom?

Rights are in place only to protect the minority against the majority. The majority doesn't need any rights because they can win any vote.