summer is finally here

InfluX

Flaccid Member
Apr 1, 2006
the last frontier.
Marklar
₥0
but with a price. we get 24 hours of light in exchange for mosquitos the size of hummingbirds. i shit ye not, these bastards are huge. some summers they seem to avoid me. other summers i may as well bathe in deet. i live in an apartment so it isnt really worth buying a mosquito magnet and with the coils i've yet to see results.

best methods for bug repellant?

and then afterwards. the bites. *makes a face* i once counted thirty two all in one go, i practically had to sleep standing up. (i'm one of those awful people who cant just 'leave it alone') youre best methods of coping?

run hot water over the bites, as hot as you can stand. it draws the histamine out and will give you some relief, at least enough to sleep for a while.

Wear long sleeves and pants. Light colors supposedly help but I only own black and khaki. Take benadryl if you get bit.

If you dont want to concentrate on the mosquitos you could always just get some poison ivy. That'll take your mind off the bites. ~_^

ceiling fly said:
Put deodorant on the bite. It eliminates the itchy part. No idea why.

it has to be antiperspirant, not just deodorant. and it works because it keeps the moisture in the skin from evaporating.

thrawn said:
it has to be antiperspirant, not just deodorant. and it works because it keeps the moisture in the skin from evaporating.
Works for PI too... strangely. I'm curious if she means black flies or mosquitos though. They have a more northern habitat, they are bigger, there are millions of them from may-july and the bites keep bleeding for a few days and hurt/itch like a fucker.

800px-Black_fly.jpg

InfluX said:
but with a price. we get 24 hours of light in exchange for mosquitos the size of hummingbirds. i shit ye not, these bastards are huge. some summers they seem to avoid me. other summers i may as well bathe in deet. i live in an apartment so it isnt really worth buying a mosquito magnet and with the coils i've yet to see results.

best methods for bug repellant?

and then afterwards. the bites. *makes a face* i once counted thirty two all in one go, i practically had to sleep standing up. (i'm one of those awful people who cant just 'leave it alone') youre best methods of coping?

You must live in Alaska. Where? Drool and I will be up there for a week and a half at the end of June.

FlamingGlory said:
Works for PI too... strangely. I'm curious if she means black flies or mosquitos though. They have a more northern habitat, they are bigger, there are millions of them from may-july and the bites keep bleeding for a few days and hurt/itch like a fucker.

believe you me these are mosquitos, plain and simple. the mosquito is the state bird of alaska. for some strange reason i know my pests and these arent even remotely like black flies.

InfluX said:
believe you me these are mosquitos, plain and simple. the mosquito is the state bird of alaska. for some strange reason i know my pests and these arent even remotely like black flies.
I live in a swamp and I think the black flies ate all the mosquitos is all :(

Either way, get a block of dry ice, put it in a far corner of your yard. CO2 attracts them like crazy. Eliminate standing water. Youll never win though, ever. They just wont die, I doused almost an acre of standing water in petroleum products and torched it, they were back in a week.

FlamingGlory said:
I live in a swamp and I think the black flies ate all the mosquitos is all :(

Either way, get a block of dry ice, put it in a far corner of your yard. CO2 attracts them like crazy. Eliminate standing water. Youll never win though, ever. They just wont die, I doused almost an acre of standing water in petroleum products and torched it, they were back in a week.
Was this before or after torturing small animals?

:shifty:

ceiling fly said:
Was this before or after torturing small animals?

:shifty:
I have never tortured small animals. THey have always been afforded a swift merciful death.

InfluX said:
fairbanks. although i road trip all over. whereabouts and what the hell for?

We will mainly be in Anchorage. Trips include Denali, Seward, Whittier, and Katmai. A friend of mine lives there.