Suck it NetApp, EMC, and Amazon

Are you telling me that you guys don't have a cheap disk option with SATA? A lot of times the throughput isn't that big of a deal...

We do our SATA offerings are a ton cheaper that our FC. But you are also paying for additional capabities with these other vendors (i.e. CIFS, NFS, SAN, iSCSI, etc). What good is 67 TB of flat storage going to give you other than a huge dumping ground for user files.

We do our SATA offerings are a ton cheaper that our FC. But you are also paying for additional capabities with these other vendors (i.e. CIFS, NFS, SAN, iSCSI, etc). What good is 67 TB of flat storage going to give you other than a huge dumping ground for user files.
But that's EXACTLY what they needed, and apparently something that no one could offer anywhere near that price.
non-redundant PSUs as well. f that. With that much storage, I want redundancy.

They have redundancy, its called a completely different server. I'm sure its like Google's server farms, where they buy a ton of "cheap" servers and swap them in and out as needed.

But that's EXACTLY what they needed, and apparently something that no one could offer anywhere near that price.

They have redundancy, its called a completely different server. I'm sure its like Google's server farms, where they buy a ton of "cheap" servers and swap them in and out as needed.

Actually Google is all Netapp and it's all multie reduntant. They buy only high end stuff.

Yeah, I saw this on /.

Not reading it thoroughly on my BB, but I'm guessing they got the idea from the XIV arrays (Israeli company with ex-EMC engineers bought by IBM) which just uses cheap Linux servers with off-the shelf fc HBA's and disk enclosures to build the unit.

The benefit to the xiv box is their code, which is proprietary, but the hardware itself looks like it was built in someones garage.