Suck it NetApp, EMC, and Amazon

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥84,121
Steam
mattressfish
http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/

Cliffs said:
At Backblaze, we provide unlimited storage to our customers for only $5 per month, so we had to figure out how to store hundreds of petabytes of customer data in a reliable, scalable way—and keep our costs low. After looking at several overpriced commercial solutions, we decided to build our own custom Backblaze Storage Pods: 67 terabyte 4U servers for $7,867.

Damn I need one of these at home.

I bet those harddrives get really fucking warm. Good luck replacing them every 3 months after they fail due to heat.
nice of them to share the information though.

Last edited:
looks like they keep the top off, so it could be as easy as pulling a drive and popping in a new one

3d model and the pic of the dude racking the server shows it has a lid. and they mentioned using foam to dampen vibration. I think vibration would be of a lesser concern, and more concerned about heat.

I bet those harddrives get really fucking warm. Good luck replacing them every 3 months after they fail due to heat.
nice of them to share the information though.

That's what I thought too, but it certainly must work with a pretty decent MTTF or they wouldn't do it...

There is a big difference between basic flat file storage and high end block level storage. If you want basic file storage for your users sure this is great but anything beyond that and you're SOL. Over 90% of the customer I deal with actual user level file storage is maybe 2% of their overall capacity.