Ontopic Stupid poll

Dual oven vs dual fuel

• Gas top with single electric oven

Votes: 13 86.7%
  • All electric with 2 ovens

Votes: 2 13.3%

• Total voters
The only thing I had issues with on my electric was caramelizing sugar. I realize my stove was not as consistent with keeping temperatures so what I did for gas was so much less complex than I did with range at my house. That and for many years I used X level for stewing some items and just in the last year I wound up burning things because let's say level 5 was now too hot and I needed closer to level 3 when for ages upon ages around 5 is what I used. So that is harder to judge and guess because it wasn't as consistent as gas flames. At least I can see if a flame is not as strong as it should be - impossible to do with electric.

cast iron > * :p
you can't cook everything in cast iron even if you wanted to. I hate cast iron and prefer stainless - works for everything I make.

I'm sure for many they do, just saying what I use. I don't buy either non-stick or cast iron at this point. There isn't anything I can't do in stainless so far and is my favorite after years of cooking.

i could cook just about anything with these 4 items:

1) 12 inch cast iron skillet
2) 6 quart cast iron enameled dutch oven
3) single non stick pan for eggs

ok, 3 things, i dont even need a 4th

Whatever... there's nothing I make that I would want in cast iron. I'm not a fan so pbbbbt.

N00bs use the cheap ass aluminum shit.

These days that's all we use. I use an 8" Lodge every morning for eggs, then we have a 10" pre-Griswold (I forget the brand but its from the late 1800s), and a giant 14"? Lodge. I don't think we've used any of our All-Clad pans in months.

Ours stays on the stove. we use it for steaks when the weather sucks. I think it's a 14", it's a Lodge. Also have 12" and a flat griddle that stays on the camping kit.

Along with your n00bness.
WTF? I don't like eating eggs unless used as an emulsifier. Nothing to do with n00bness

You guys like your stupid sausages & eggs - have at it. I'll make better foods that aren't things a college guy makes in a skillet.

It is much harder to control heat on electric stoves. While you can do delicate stuff on electric it is more time consuming and there is a much greater risk of failure. Ask any professional chef in the world.
Agreed, it is more difficult. It's not rocket science though.

If you can't use your own stove...

You are entitled your opinion, however to say "it can't be done" because you can't do it is telling....
Now you're just trying to stir shit here. I'm making a good Italian dinner here - pasta, tomato sauce that is simmering in a *gasp* covered pot on the pathetic coil top range I have. You can never convince me that will cook as well (including the pasta in boiling water) in a cast iron skillet as it will in my all clad pots.

That's seriously just stupid. I am sure professional chefs will toss their pathetic pots for a cast iron skillet after reading this now :fly: