Stupid Hiccups :mad:

L

Lynnakitty

I used to have a foolproof method of getting rid of hiccups:
sitting upside down in a chair and drinking water out of a water bottle, but I can't find my water bottle right now..
Anyone have any other methods for getting rid of hiccups?

I get hiccups when I eat really hot food. I wish I had a cure for you but I have never found anything that works.

April23 said:
I hold my breath for a very long time then drink really fast.
BigDov said:
BBOOOO!!!

scare ya? supposedly scaring works.
Tried both of those, no work.

And I'm not very good at scaring myself.. typically I know when I'm going to randomly yell "BOO!" before I actually do it... iono maybe there's something wrong with me.

Eat a spoon full of sugar.

I just heard this one yesterday. Put a spoon in your mouth, so that the bottom of the spoon is on the roof of your mouth. PUt the stem of the spoon on a glass of water and tip it back and drink with the spoon in your mouth. Don't know how or if it works, but I heard it does.

smartass :)

Hiccups. We all get them. They can be uncomfortable, annoying and sometimes embarrassing but thankfully they are usually short-lived. However for some people hiccups can be a MAJOR problem. Take Charles Osbourne for example. He was an American pig farmer who began hiccupping in 1922 and didn’t stop until 1990! He hiccupped every one-and-a-half seconds for over 68 years! If only he had read this article…

What is a hiccup?

A hiccup starts way down in your diaphragm, the muscle that separates your chest from your abdomen. When nerves near the diaphragm are irritated, they cause the diaphragm to contract. When that happens, the diaphragm sucks air down your windpipe to your lungs. While the air is whooshing down, it is stopped suddenly by the sudden closing of your vocal cords. The result is a hiccup.

What causes hiccups?

Most hiccups occur for no apparent reason; that’s why they’re so hard to cure. Factors that may trigger hiccups are: overeating, drinking too quickly, smoking, anxiety, exercising soon after eating, and many others.

How to cure hiccups…

Eat sugar! A study in the New England Journal of Medicine found that one teaspoon of ordinary table sugar swallowed dry cured hiccups immediately in 19 out of 20 people. Repeat it three times at 2 minutes intervals if the hiccups do not stop immediately.

If that doesn’t work you could try some of these home remedies…

- Hold your breath. The oldest remedy of all and, for that reason, probably one of the most successful.
- Drink from the opposite edge of a glass. Just try not to make a mess!
- Eat crushed ice.
- Think of what you had for dinner last Sunday.
- Put your fingers in your ears, and get a friend to slowly feed you a glass of water.
- Eat bread slowly.

There are loads of methods for curing hiccups, although not all of them work for everybody; some people can be cured every time they have an attack using a particular method, while that method may never work on others. Just keep trying to find a cure that works for you,

My father passed this on to me, it has never failed me yet:

1. Lie flat on your back.
2. Take as deep a breath as possible and hold it.
3. While holding your breath stretch your arms up above your head until they are lying flat on the floor. It will feel like your ribcage is really getting stretched.
4. Hold your breath in that position as long as you reasonably can, but don't do it until you turn blue :fly:
5. Repeat if necessary.

I found my sippy cup!

I took my sippy cup.. filled it with water, put the cap on, then layed across my bed with my head hanging off and drank upside down :D
All gone :D

This is kinda hard to explain but what I do is I swallow some spit.. but only like "half way". So its like at the very edge of my throat. (I wonder if you know what I mean :p) And then I just hold my breath. Feels like if I get a hiccup now, I'll choke.. So I don't get one ;)

It works every time :)

i've had a theory for a while on this: hiccups feel more like a spasm than anything else to me, so i just take control of the muscles doing it, and they can't spasm.

try to hiccup really hard, and the muscles that would contract will tense, making it so the relatively minor contraction can't happen. if i concentrate and try to hiccup really hard, i always stop.

i had the hiccups so bad yesterday. most of the time i try to hold my breath or just wait till the go away.

ieholly said:
i had the hiccups so bad yesterday. most of the time i try to hold my breath or just wait till the go away.
Last time I held my breath it hurt my nose.. I don't do that unless I'm desperate.

When I was younger my dad always cured it by saying "If you do it three more times I'll give you [swedish currency here]." Worked every time. Thinking about the hickups and wanting them to happen stopped it.

Also the spoon full of sugar works quite well.

(I know you already solved it, I'm posting it anyways so there!)

I Robert I said:
When I was younger my dad always cured it by saying "If you do it three more times I'll give you [swedish currency here]." Worked every time. Thinking about the hickups and wanting them to happen stopped it.

:lol: Damn your dad is mean hahaha

I Robert I said:

How much did he offer you? :p