stupid cheap lcd tv

ok. i'm going to hold off for a couple weeks. with any luck retailers will have to keep cutting prices as the stock they ordered in starts to collect dust. i may have to pull the trigger before christmas though just to be sure.

gotta get some of the moonlighting i have lined up done.

Wormholes and therefore time machines probably won't be too hard to build in the 22nd century. All you need for a time machine is a wormhole and a neutron star. Well, any star will work, but a neutron star would work the best.

And by then we also should have perfected using zero point energy, so traveling to Jupiter would be trivial. Pick a better planet, not only is Jupiter deadly on many levels, I don't think it has a solid core. Choose Europa, now that would be cool dammit. With unlimited energy it would be trivial to make oxygen from the liquid water there!

anyway, blah blah blah.

Actually, I think we are a long ways away from any of those. We have yet to even master making it to our own moon, 50 years after the fact. In many ways I view the access into space will be a lot like the steps into seafaring for colonistic countries in the mid centuries.

And the reason I mention Jupiter is mostly because 1) it's proximity to the asteroid belt, which will be used heavily for resource mining, and 2) it's moons, which offer a possibility for habitation. Jupiter itself will pretty much be a non factor unless we find a marketable way to mine it's gas from orbital stations.

Power in the future, for space travel, will be pretty much anti-matter dependant, but we will have yet to get away from the explosive reaction mass concept of propulsion. However, we will have found a way to develop and harvest that reaction mass during travel, eliminating the need to carry large amounts of fuel with you during a trip.

Actually, I think we are a long ways away from any of those. We have yet to even master making it to our own moon, 50 years after the fact. In many ways I view the access into space will be a lot like the steps into seafaring for colonistic countries in the mid centuries.

Science generally evolves in explosions rather than a flat geometric rate, so the fact that we aren't anywhere close really doesn't mean anything imho.

And the reason I mention Jupiter is mostly because 1) it's proximity to the asteroid belt, which will be used heavily for resource mining, and 2) it's moons, which offer a possibility for habitation. Jupiter itself will pretty much be a non factor unless we find a marketable way to mine it's gas from orbital stations.

That's why I said Europa!

Power in the future, for space travel, will be pretty much anti-matter dependant, but we will have yet to get away from the explosive reaction mass concept of propulsion. However, we will have found a way to develop and harvest that reaction mass during travel, eliminating the need to carry large amounts of fuel with you during a trip.

Maybe eventually, but I think zero point energy is more feasible in the short term, since it already surrounds us. You should look into it, if you haven't. Antimatter is way too delicate and requires complex magnetic/laser chambers to hold it.

i saw the funniest commercial today whilst on the treadmill..

this dude is talking to the flat screen salesman at BB (or whatever) and he's like, "I'll take it." reaches for his wallet..

a dude slaps his forearm and they pan and it's a pig faced dude.

and he's like, "you're right, I don't NEED it."

it's some kind of website.. -----thepig.org or something.

americans now have such poor spending habits there are .orgs to remind us not to live beyond our means.

i prob shouldn't get one. life goes on. now.. if I fix up the MANCAVE!!! then we may have to reconsider.

Last edited:
i saw the funniest commercial today whilst on the treadmill..

this dude is talking to the flat screen salesman at BB (or whatever) and he's like, "I'll take it." reaches for his wallet..

a dude slaps his forearm and they pan and it's a pig faced dude.

and he's like, "you're right, I don't NEED it."

it's some kind of website.. -----thepig.org or something.

americans now have such poor spending habits there are .orgs to remind us not to live beyond our means.

i prob shouldn't get one. life goes on. now.. if I fix up the MANCAVE!!! then we may have to reconsider.

As long as you do not have other debt and paying cash, why the hell not? :)

i paid off my last interest bearing debt over thanksgiving! :) i have an interest free loan on my truck and that's it.

but i've decided that the cash i'm about to receive for some extra work should go to a tune-up and brake job on said truck rather than an lcd tv. the tv can wait a while.

I DON'T KNOW !!!

only debt are the two cars, house, and ja student loan. i am good about that.

like I said, am trying to get this mythical 6 mos. cushion.. and 15hun will eat into that.

we'll see... but the pig commercial hit me yesterday for some reason.

Its a gamble. You think you can make the payments now, but what happens if something goes down in 6 months, you lose your job, and you get behind? Now you're on the hook for the cost of the set + whatever retard interest rate they'll be charging you. Some people like to gamble and that's fine for them. I prefer to get it over with in one shot.

Its a gamble. You think you can make the payments now, but what happens if something goes down in 6 months, you lose your job, and you get behind? Now you're on the hook for the cost of the set + whatever retard interest rate they'll be charging you. Some people like to gamble and that's fine for them. I prefer to get it over with in one shot.

Did you miss the "paying in cash" part? :fly:

i think I am going to abstain.. argh.. it's the "right" thing to do with 1500 bux. just keep the isht I guess. lord knows there's 10's of other things wrong with my historic bungalow to repair..

i think I am going to abstain.. argh.. it's the "right" thing to do with 1500 bux. just keep the isht I guess. lord knows there's 10's of other things wrong with my historic bungalow to repair..

That's Dave Ramsey talking!

But on the flipside, if you are going to make a large purchase it is better to pay cash for it. ;)

i'm doing the same, but mostly because it turns out i owe almost exactly the cost of a 32" 1080p lcd hdtv in medical bills.

alright so I'm an idiot and forgot about a big bill I had to pay so I had to cancel the tv until my next paycheck because I'm paying cash

ended up working out pretty well because I got the brand new model of the tv I wanted(other was a year old model) for exactly the same price! :cool:

not tax or shipping charges ftw and it comes with "Free White Glove Delivery" which means a couple schlubs are going to drag the thing up the 3 flights of stairs at my place, unbox it and set it up :fly:

merry xmas to me!
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Sharp-Aquos-LC52D65U-52-Inch-1080p/dp/B001E8YQ2K/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1229122765&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: Sharp Aquos LC52D65U 52-Inch 1080p LCD HDTV: Electronics[/ame]