Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

Today’s bass that slipped away:

06415CCC-5E14-41E4-86F5-91FEE1966929.jpeg

I went through an Aria Pro II phase. Medium scale, 32”. This was a sweet player. Set neck version, and Aria (Matsumoku?) had several other versions including bolt on necked. Light also, and super pretty in person.

I love double cut basses, like the Les Paul “Money” Bass or the Jack Casady.

I had mentioned the Lynyrd Skynyrd documentary on Netflix in the movie thread. Well, watching that refreshed my memory quite a bit, one thing being Leon Wilkinson’s tone.

If you watch that, listen to his bass. Man, that was a nice fat tone.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
I had mentioned the Lynyrd Skynyrd documentary on Netflix in the movie thread. Well, watching that refreshed my memory quite a bit, one thing being Leon Wilkinson’s tone.

If you watch that, listen to his bass. Man, that was a nice fat tone.
I might watch this tonight, I have Netflix me being all up in the modern times and shit.
Anything specific I should search for or just "skynyrd" or something?

Is it then going to "suggest" docs on every other band in the whole world?
I've already seen the Rush one, it's pretty good.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
I might watch this tonight, I have Netflix me being all up in the modern times and shit.
Anything specific I should search for or just "skynyrd" or something?

Is it then going to "suggest" docs on every other band in the whole world?
I've already seen the Rush one, it's pretty good.

Rush had the one when Peart was still around but there’s a new one coming out, or came out, that I caught most of the other day. It’s good.

I can’t recommend a method of searching to find it. I’m pretty sure it’s new and was suggested viewing based on my “watched” history.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
I rehabbed an old Ibanez Tube Screamer once and it made me happy afterward.
Mission accomplished. nyuk nyuk

I wouldn’t know where to begin building a new one. I guess I’d search the Google for kits first, because I can’t tell a transistor from a hole in the ground.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD and Immigrant
This could hold you for a while. :)
I may build a couple of those to start out. I also have a Joyo AC tone that I’m not in love with that I might tinker with.

The Joyo AC tone is a different flavor than the coveted American Sound, which is my favorite pedal. It’s super colorful which is awesome, but I’d love to be able to create a transparent version because the over drive in that thing is exactly what I’m looking for. If searched around and can’t find a transparent version of that drive. It’s probably close to the tube screamer (not transparent I know) but the American sound adds in amp sim, cab sim, and Eq that i don’t think I need. I really just need to hone in on the perfect mid hump. The problem is that if tube screamers have that hump it’s not ideal with the low end loss and treble boost.

And blend knobs sound awful to me for whatever reason.

• Love
Reactions: wetwillie
I may build a couple of those to start out. I also have a Joyo AC tone that I’m not in love with that I might tinker with.

The Joyo AC tone is a different flavor than the coveted American Sound, which is my favorite pedal. It’s super colorful which is awesome, but I’d love to be able to create a transparent version because the over drive in that thing is exactly what I’m looking for. If searched around and can’t find a transparent version of that drive. It’s probably close to the tube screamer (not transparent I know) but the American sound adds in amp sim, cab sim, and Eq that i don’t think I need. I really just need to hone in on the perfect mid hump. The problem is that if tube screamers have that hump it’s not ideal with the low end loss and treble boost.

And blend knobs sound awful to me for whatever reason.
I never like blend knobs, but I do like these blender pedals(bottom of page, expression pedal format). One of my favs, just push the pedal and no fucking around. I have the top one, dual loops, blended. But you can just pass clean through the one. Not heap cheap.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and Strings
The p
I never like blend knobs, but I do like these blender pedals(bottom of page, expression pedal format). One of my favs, just push the pedal and no fucking around. I have the top one, dual loops, blended. But you can just pass clean through the one. Not heap cheap.
The Ampeg Portaflex has one built in.

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: adi and wetwillie
True - but only one effects chain->clean blended via knob. Same as its big brother the SVT 7(have).
Yeah. I think the only difference is where the preamp is in the chain. The cool thing about the pedal is you can bypass the preamp completely. Both are really cool because you can run effects in parallel. The possibilities are endless.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Looks like a crappie to me.

We had crappies in the man-made ponds that were stocked for kids to fish for in Omaha. My friends ate this shit called doughball that we used as bait. It was, more or less, bread dough, but I’d never eat that shit.

I never cared for blend knobs either, but it’s what’d to find active instruments with more than one pickup with vol vol etc and not vol blend etc.

It used to be rumored that blend knobs on passive instruments were tone suckers and I totally bought into that, and still do.

@wetwillie The Grind I had, I put in new pots and wired it like a Les Paul with an added pickup selector switch. New pickups would’ve been next, but I ditched it when I went to my medium scale Luthier-built FBB.

FABDDC8C-BA55-4CA9-89A6-B2C26488E5CB.jpeg