Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

And don’t be afraid to put round wound strings on a fretless. The whole “must need flats” is a bunch of horse shit. You would have to be an obnoxious string bender with pressure unregisterable by even alien technology to damage a fingerboard with rounds.

Unless you like flats to begin with of course.

It’s nice to see you appear, Fouls Ball.

Oh, the fenders I mentioned all have lines /markers were the frets would be. If that matters.

I got straightened out quickly on TB about marker locations on fretless basses after buying a G&L L2000 fretless. They actually put the dots where the frets would be ( mine only had the conventional number of side markers, not every fret).

Old pics of the day.

First, the Peavey Grind that I had for awhile that was a great platform t start with but needed better electronics. Had I slapped new pickups and a decent preamp in it, it would’ve been a killer bass:

B73C6ED0-58F8-47F9-A788-42EFCBB48513.jpeg

I got straightened out quickly on TB about marker locations on fretless basses after buying a G&L L2000 fretless. They actually put the dots where the frets would be ( mine only had the conventional number of side markers, not every fret).
That's a pretty important distinction on the markers vs. de-fretted basses. You win the super chicken dinner of your dreams :)
The conventional side markers remind me of how students of the classical 4 stringed instrument are taught to find their spot on the neck, by "position".

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and Immigrant
DUDE - you have the serial #, that's the one I have? It might be your old one :lol:

I think I sold it locally on CL. If you sold it on eBay and shipped it in a box full of shredded paper, it may be your old one. And shame on you for emptying a cross cross cutting paper shredder into a bass case. It was a huge mess unpacking it. :lol:

• Gravy
  • Haha
Reactions: adi and wetwillie
I think I sold it locally on CL. If you sold it on eBay and shipped it in a box full of shredded paper, it may be your old one. And shame on you for emptying a cross cross cutting paper shredder into a bass case. It was a huge mess unpacking it. :lol:
you misunderstood baba(or good joke) - I have the bass right now, I thought maybe I bought it from you. Or the next person :) I don't want to sell it, it plays nice but yeah the electronics are very C. maybe C-

That shredder thing would suck. LIke those padded envelopes padded with grey dust shit. The hell!

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant and adi
hello gear thread,,

i've been out of the bass buying game for about 10 years and might, hypothetically, be getting back into it. looking for a fretless option in the budget range, and i'm primarily a jazz bass guy (mostly for neck thinness)--anything in particular i should be looking around at? i was thinking of just going with an actual, well, jazz bass, but i'm not sure if there are better value plays around in that range.
def babaaaa
hard to beat the squire fretless jazz bass

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
And don’t be afraid to put round wound strings on a fretless. The whole “must need flats” is a bunch of horse shit. You would have to be an obnoxious string bender with pressure unregisterable by even alien technology to damage a fingerboard with rounds.

Unless you like flats to begin with of course.

It’s nice to see you appear, Fouls Ball.
oh yeah
i only used round wounds on the fretless :)

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
good to hear that the squier has a solid backing. i'll see if I can try one out, or if they still carry any of those MIM fenders around here. lined is definitely preferred since it's my first fretless, i think my learning curve would be a bit steep without lines. side markers are something i just took as a given, is it not standard to have your 3/5/7/9 dots on the side?

as for strings.....i'll simply get two basses

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
good to hear that the squier has a solid backing. i'll see if I can try one out, or if they still carry any of those MIM fenders around here. lined is definitely preferred since it's my first fretless, i think my learning curve would be a bit steep without lines. side markers are something i just took as a given, is it not standard to have your 3/5/7/9 dots on the side?

as for strings.....i'll simply get two basses

I’ve seen both, the typical 357912 etc AND every fret dotted. More the first than the second though.

You don’t need the lines. You’d be surprised how quickly you’ll pick it up without lines helping. I was concerned when I bought my G&L but the price ($500 for a US model) was too good to be concerned about that much.

Of course, I discovered it needed a good planing because of a ski jump near the neck joint but once that was taken care of, it was a killer.

Yet another I wish I hadn’t let go but food is important. Fuckin food, always in the way of fun.

The serial numbers on those were little stickers IIRC.
Mine is stamped into the wood, odd spot too, like, above the tuners and sideways. But you could be right about the stickers . . . I had three Ibanez ATKs at one time - all three were different, one was sticker, other two were stamped but very differently.. But what does it mean? I had two fakes? :lol:

• Gravy
  • Haha
Reactions: Immigrant and adi
I can’t remember if I posted about it, but this one came with a blend mod at no extra cost because they couldn’t find the stock one at Chicago Music Exchange. It’s a very nice sounding fuzz.
it is a very good fuzz ood baba :)
i have the version with the feedback footswitch

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD and Strings
I had a nursing home gig tonight. I got some funny looks from the staff, but they want us back after hearing us. I think they could sense my spiritual direction. I always said rock is the devils cathedral.

That reminds me about an old lady a few years ago who got pissed cause we did some gospel. This was well into me being atheist. I just remember thinking “damn lady the whole other 2 hours was for you”. I probably should reconnect with her on my newest worship songs.