Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

So you got 4 15's and a Mesa?
That's not very minimalist of you, tisk tisk. It does however make you the coolest mofo in your whole county and probably even region.
Well done, sir.
The plan was to leave these around a couple of different practice locations, but since I quit all the bands but one and I’m using the guitarist’s old Crate bass amp for the one band that’s left, I’m in a pickle. Figure I’d make the most of it. Plus those TC Electronic cabs are probably the only ones that exist that are stackable the way I have them. And I have a kid showing interest in bass; they ain’t playing the Mesa for a while.

In a minimalist world I’d have just the Mesa, but I’ve given up on that because I’m particularly about having back up gear for paying gigs.

I’ve also come to realize that it may be impossible for me to part with any Jazz bass. I went in looking for a P bass when I bought the American ultra jazz. Couldn’t do it. After 15 years I’ve figured out that I’m a Jazz bass guy. The necks are perfect for me and the tone is versatile. Scooped, slight low mid thump, high mid grind. The neck soloed gives me all the P bass sound I need. Not exact, but close enough. There will always be a p bass at any studio worth their salt if I should ever need one to record with.

That old Crate sounds really good too. It accents the mid grind of the jazz. Similar to a GK but not really.
Crate ain't junk. For a while there they were made by the same parent company/manufacturer as Ampeg. Somewhere in all the buyouts and corporate consolidations and things anyway.

"Cratepeg" is a thing.
I remember sourcing a replacement tweeter for an Ampeg cab somebody fried, probably a 410hlf. It was the exact same part number, manufacturer, everything, just cost less because it didn't say "ampeg" on it.

That was quite awhile ago and things change but the song remains the same. Don't think some high end shit is worth money just because of a label. Anything can be relabeled for a few dollars more.
Shut your eyes and let your ears and experience decide.

Crate ain't junk. For a while there they were made by the same parent company/manufacturer as Ampeg. Somewhere in all the buyouts and corporate consolidations and things anyway.

"Cratepeg" is a thing.
I remember sourcing a replacement tweeter for an Ampeg cab somebody fried, probably a 410hlf. It was the exact same part number, manufacturer, everything, just cost less because it didn't say "ampeg" on it.

That was quite awhile ago and things change but the song remains the same. Don't think some high end shit is worth money just because of a label. Anything can be relabeled for a few dollars more.
I’ve always liked Peavy as well. Loved my TNT. MFer got stole.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and wetwillie
I’ve always liked Peavy as well. Loved my TNT. MFer got stole.
Imo, from the opinion of a geezer who hasn't been following along with what the latest greatest shit is supposed to be the last 10 or so years the Peavey 1505-8DT black widow is still one of the best bass guitar/general PA woofers out there.
When the big rage of neodymium speakers came out none of them could best that one by more than 1db or a few hertz freq range or 1mm clean bass excursion.
They could meet it at a lighter weight but they couldn't best it in performance.

But alas it brandished the dreaded Peavey moniker, and the masses figured it didn't measure up to their vanity, and thus it was left behind and deemed "not cool".

Fine by me, keeps the price down.

Imo, from the opinion of a geezer who hasn't been following along with what the latest greatest shit is supposed to be the last 10 or so years the Peavey 1505-8DT black widow is still one of the best bass guitar/general PA woofers out there.
When the big rage of neodymium speakers came out none of them could best that one by more than 1db or a few hertz freq range or 1mm clean bass excursion.
They could meet it at a lighter weight but they couldn't best it in performance.

But alas it brandished the dreaded Peavey moniker, and the masses figured it didn't measure up to their vanity, and thus it was left behind and deemed "not cool".

Fine by me, keeps the price down.
Hard to pass on the lightweight of the Neo. I don’t know much about the black widow speakers but they ain’t keeping up with Mesa subway in either department. I don’t think my TNT had a widow but some did iirc. One thing I can say is, although I like the Mesa more, it ain’t capable of replicating the TNT. That baby is rough around the edges literally and sonically. It’s great for certain styles.

The one experience I had with the Black Widows was in a PA that my band used for almost ten years. We only stopped because we got tired of picking them up. I never met a traditional PA that could best them. Then again I’ve yet to encounter a PA that could outdo the Bose L1 for singer/songwriter type stuff. It’s all about needs and every band is searching for a particular sound.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and wetwillie
Likely a 1502 model widow instead of a 1505.
Less excursion/"clean bass" but when you push it it gets a grind you either like or you don't.

Yes neo shaves off a lot of weight, and in most cases gets you higher sensitivity (more loud coming out per watt going in).

I've been very happy with Crate and PEavy gear. Black Widows were THE SHIT. I have a brand new 15 in the box. I should find a nice cab and mount it for my stay home "forever" rig. I like my Hartke neo cabs - I did the snail on the 10s. Snail: bead of silicone ran outward along the aluminum part in a few places. SIzzle was a bit much, and my ears are fucking old so I shouldn't have noticed.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and adi
I guess I have to have The Demon for my worship band. But seriously these Fuzzrocious pedals all seem amazing and I can’t decide which one to get. I could honestly see having one of each on a pedal board.

7E5398AE-BD67-455D-A6CB-D414DE69B21F.jpeg
The Demon is low to mid-high gain. Think OCD. (Previously called Oh See Demon) Video below is corny af lol. Very nice demo though.

A13AB931-209C-4CAA-A4CB-6233D54376ED.jpeg
The Cat Tail has more gain on tap than the Demon. Think Rat. (Previously called Rat Tail)

0BD5B969-5912-4C85-82B4-9CC40C5D9A67.jpeg
The Grey Stache is a muff style fuzz but with mids.

14F9DCCA-202F-485B-B390-B9BFB5366D6E.jpeg
420 fuzz is very cool. I can’t describe it but they named it well.

Maple fingerboards just rock, wear is so f'n negligible.!! I think they could just color(deep stain shit) maple, and leave those exotic woods out of the mix.

I’ve seen some “roasted maple” fretboards that were as dark as Pau Ferro so if someone absolutely wanted the look of rosewood, a substitute is possible. There will still be purists who claim they can hear the difference though. To me, I’d believe it (maybe) if it was fret less, but I don’t buy it when it’s a fretted bass. My ears must be as dumb as me.

"Cratepeg" is a thing.

There is also (well, maybe “was”) a Behringer tube amp that was a clone of an SVT-CL. 300 tube watts. Same tone stack. I’ll try to find a link after this buzz wears off a little.

I’ve seen some “roasted maple” fretboards that were as dark as Pau Ferro so if someone absolutely wanted the look of rosewood, a substitute is possible. There will still be purists who claim they can hear the difference though. To me, I’d believe it (maybe) if it was fret less, but I don’t buy it when it’s a fretted bass. My ears must be as dumb as me.
I'm with you, fingerboard wood changing tone on a fretted instrument seems almost conspiracy theory shit*. Even on a fretless I'm unconvinced unless the board was hideously soft shit. They could dye some nice, hard, American maple and create nice looking boards in every color of the rainbow - maybe that will be their next trick. Just 2 mm of penetration would last a lifetime of playing and a few refrettings.

*Anecdotally, I have found maple boards to be the more consistent in tone along the entire neck and I don't think I've had one develop a loose fret. Shit is solid, albeit not the prettiest.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and Immigrant
Fun bass of the day that passed through my house. I wanted to refurb this bass SO badly. It was going to need a new neck, because the channel the TR was in was so chewed up, there was no holding it in place. It wasn’t a neck thru or a bolt on, but a combo of both. There was a Rickenbacker repair guy that lived a few blocks from me named Dale Fortune, and after leaving Rickenbacker full time, they still sent him special refinish jobs. I took it to him and he didn’t want to mess with it, then he had some legal issues with another one of my neighbors and shit went sideways, so I bailed. I ended up selling it to a guy on TB, who later gave up on it.

SD Curlee. Dimarzio pickups, sounded fucking hot as hell but would not hold a setup.

A8BCCDA2-9009-4364-8985-19DAD57C8B24.jpeg