Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

Thats Racist GIF
Screw it - wow did I get lost in the BBC code. Woo boy!! Well, fixed that shit. Tanks!

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
I would think that quite a dialable rig. Nothing "wrong" with a coupla of 15"s - you got the punch (maybe not total spank but it IS bass :) ).
Mesa is good stuff, you should be all set. Congrats - cool.
I think speaker size is no longer an indication of tone. Probably was 30 years ago. These things do rumble though but I think that was designed intentionally, regardless of speaker size. Anyway, this head has a HPF witch cleans up as much of that rumble as you want. That and sweepable high and low mids makes this thing pretty versatile.

I've been mix and matching basses, heads, and cabs all day. Every piece of gear I've upgraded has done a lot to improver the sound. The best improvement came from the cab. I'm not surprised since that's the actual thing people hear.

Just had an audition with a band. And have another audition coming up soon with another band.

Darth stop here

The first band doesn’t have a name yet but I’ll call them “Funky Band”. I learned 11 songs for Funky Band almost flawlessly. This included a lot of funk and R&B which I am less familiar with than more general rock. I could tell the drummer was just going on the fly, not that he sounded bad, and the guitarist didn’t know more than 4 songs from the list he sent me. He even said “I don’t know why I sent some of these songs to you”. It would have saved me a lot of time if he’d just sent 5. Nice guys though and they have decent chops. The drummer is pretty solid. There’s supposed to be a keyboard player and female singer, but they were not there.

Band two is more classic rock. They sent me a set list spread not just a text of some songs, but I will just have to see how that audition goes. They do seem more put together, unlike Funky Band which is most definitely a start up consisting of musicians who have previously played together. The classic rock band already has a gig lined up they want me ready for and from of the sound of it they gig regularly.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and wetwillie
You Bass Cadets are really missing out on some primo cushy gigs, what with all the frontline bassists dropping like flies (KoRn's Fieldy, Megadeth's Ellefson).

• Haha
Reactions: adi
I auditioned for a band a few weeks ago. Things went great. I’ll call them Funk Tabernacle. We are going to have rehearsals for a while and if we all like the line up we will keep it, if not we’ll part ways.

Then I went to another audition the next week. I’ll call them Maturity Fury. Maturity Fury referred to me as a monster bass player and offered me a position on the spot. I said I’d like to meet their keyboardist first before I accept. The next day they text me asking to schedule a second meet so we can get the ball rolling or they can look for another bass player. I said that’s cool as long as they don’t mind me playing in a second band. That was a hard no for them. Apparently they want complete control over my calendar. I said no problem and wished them their best with their search for a bass player.

The next day I get another text from Maturity Fury asking how I would be able to manage the content of two bands and schedule gigs. After explaining how calendars and practice work they want me now.

I tell Funk Tabernacle about the other band and the response was, “that’s cool man”.

My question is, how long should I give Maturity Fury to start rolling in Benjamins? It’s obviously not something I would do just for the fun of it with such controlling attitudes, but I’m cool with doing what I’m told if I’m paid. I do expect to also have fun doing it.

• Gravy
I auditioned for a band a few weeks ago. Things went great. I’ll call them Funk Tabernacle. We are going to have rehearsals for a while and if we all like the line up we will keep it, if not we’ll part ways.

Then I went to another audition the next week. I’ll call them Maturity Fury. Maturity Fury referred to me as a monster bass player and offered me a position on the spot. I said I’d like to meet their keyboardist first before I accept. The next day they text me asking to schedule a second meet so we can get the ball rolling or they can look for another bass player. I said that’s cool as long as they don’t mind me playing in a second band. That was a hard no for them. Apparently they want complete control over my calendar. I said no problem and wished them their best with their search for a bass player.

The next day I get another text from Maturity Fury asking how I would be able to manage the content of two bands and schedule gigs. After explaining how calendars and practice work they want me now.

I tell Funk Tabernacle about the other band and the response was, “that’s cool man”.

My question is, how long should I give Maturity Fury to start rolling in Benjamins? It’s obviously not something I would do just for the fun of it with such controlling attitudes, but I’m cool with doing what I’m told if I’m paid. I do expect to also have fun doing it.
Some of MFs "issue" may just be the person(s) you are primarily dealing with. The rest of the band may not be such assholes(or awkward at very least). If you possibly liked MF better, you could possibly push back a little once they are a little more embedded with you.
The second band thing. Some people can/could be just fine. But there are so many people that don't practice(that means AT HOME, ALONE) for one band, the thought of two would be ridiculous. Be honest - do you have time to work the material for two bands?
Wishing you luck with it.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and OOD
Be honest - do you have time to work the material for two bands?
Material won’t be a problem.

FT is creative, not worrying about playing like the recording. MF is more concerned with sounding mostly like the recording. So far I’ve played as good or better than the guys in MF. And FT doesn’t matter as long as I’m in key and time.

• Gravy
I was never thrilled with "band leaders " telling me what to play and when to play it.
If we're doing covers, I already know the where and when. Someone's original work, I'll listen and contribute if asked.

• Gravy
Material won’t be a problem.

FT is creative, not worrying about playing like the recording. MF is more concerned with sounding mostly like the recording. So far I’ve played as good or better than the guys in MF. And FT doesn’t matter as long as I’m in key and time.
That makes sense. If you practice effectively on your covers the work is quick, sometimes almost effortless. Creative is more time consuming but at least you are building something new.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and OOD
I was never thrilled with "band leaders " telling me what to play and when to play it.
If we're doing covers, I already know the where and when. Someone's original work, I'll listen and contribute if asked.
Oh yeah that’s where the pay comes in. Is play for gas money in an original. Cover band gonna have to cough up some dough. Especially if they are telling me what to play. That’s extra.