Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

I don't even think about it, I think it's just my body habitus - I must be 3/4 Sasquatch. Short legs yet taller, long torso, long ass arms with thick biceps and oversized hands at the end. Decent combo for boxing, better for grappling, mildly dangerous on the dance floor.
You sound like a bass player. Do your knuckles drag the ground?

• Gravy
  • Haha
Reactions: adi and wetwillie
So I'm an idiot and have been for years.

For some reason I thought that running mono through just one stereo output would give me a weaker signal. You know cause I'm only getting one side. It just occur to me that since I'm only going into one speaker that I don't need the signal from the other side because the input on my single speaker would be like "holy fuck! Why is this signal so hot!" I'd only need to pan if I'm running stereo inputs.

So I've been panning left for years running nothing but mono inputs because I'm fucking stupid. This was a lack of understanding of how line levels work, not so much a mono/stereo issue.

. It just occur to me that since I'm only going into one speaker that I don't need the signal from the other side because the input on my single speaker would be like "holy fuck! Why is this signal so hot!"

Not really, though you may've noticed it didn't get any louder moving the pan from the middle further to the left.

Doing that doesn't take the signal from the right side and add it to the left.

It's subtractive.
Middle = both channels at 100%
Panning left means right side signal gets progressively less than 100% but this does not get added to left side. Left just stays at 100%. There is no 130/70 or 200/0 or whatever.

You sound like a bass player. Do your knuckles drag the ground?
Yes - better for harvesting mushrooms. Which I did again today.
So I'm an idiot and have been for years.

For some reason I thought that running mono through just one stereo output would give me a weaker signal. You know cause I'm only getting one side. It just occur to me that since I'm only going into one speaker that I don't need the signal from the other side because the input on my single speaker would be like "holy fuck! Why is this signal so hot!" I'd only need to pan if I'm running stereo inputs.

So I've been panning left for years running nothing but mono inputs because I'm fucking stupid. This was a lack of understanding of how line levels work, not so much a mono/stereo issue.
The good news - now you know.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and OOD
Not really, though you may've noticed it didn't get any louder moving the pan from the middle further to the left.

Doing that doesn't take the signal from the right side and add it to the left.
so according to a shady source I found on the interwebs, "true panning" does take from one side and add to the other, but most panning is achieved by decreasing volume in the opposite speaker to give the illusion of the sound "moving" from one side to the other. Probably why I thought my panning knobs where supposed to add instead of subtract. Whether it's true or not IDK.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and HipHugHer
so according to a shady source I found on the interwebs, "true panning" does take from one side and add to the other, but most panning is achieved by decreasing volume in the opposite speaker to give the illusion of the sound "moving" from one side to the other. Probably why I thought my panning knobs where supposed to add instead of subtract. Whether it's true or not IDK.
You have it correct - normal panning is subtractive. At a point true panning is just mono - to your ears. ;)

• Gravy

You can tell the guy is younger or hasn't read much history as he mentions software quite a bit and keeps getting hung up on the "must have 2 tracks" thing. Some history of terms or evolution of the process might be in order. Once upon a time recordings only had one track. Lot of radios and phonographs only had one speaker to play it with too. Was nothing to pan or move around.

Kind of nitpicking here though. It's a plenty good enough explanation and if you can make it sound good without breaking the equipment you're doing it right.

• Gravy
Hey, hey - I'm not cheap, I just have dancing issues! *I bounce/bop and walk/move a bit while playing. Take the bass off my neck and I feel naked on the dance floor. It's way too much pressure, much more than holding the groove an entire crowd of several hundred can hear.:rolleyes:
I won second place in a professional level latin/ballroom competition in 1988 .
Da wimmins are putty in my hands on the dance floor .

Keep your eyes out for the new tele bass. Mahogany. Ebony. Nordstrand MM. 5 way coil splitter. Chromes. Very very sexy. Kinda dark sounding (with a hog body that's no surprise).
Fucker didn't make it through shipping undamaged. Had to send it back to Cali to be repaired. Cost me an extra $160. Bass is epic tho.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Keep your eyes out for the new tele bass. Mahogany. Ebony. Nordstrand MM. 5 way coil splitter. Chromes. Very very sexy. Kinda dark sounding (with a hog body that's no surprise).
Fucker didn't make it through shipping undamaged. Had to send it back to Cali to be repaired. Cost me an extra $160. Bass is epic tho.

When I first read the first paragraph I thought you had this bass and it had been stolen.