Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

Reminds me of the olde Ibanez ' musician' fretless I regret not buying . Almost bought the bass off of 'Mahogany Rush 'bassist too , vintage Fender J , regret not buying that either . Went with a brand new Vantage headless fretless instead , because 1985.
it is like those old roadstar basses :)
i regret not buying a modulus J type when it was available for a reasonable price

Are mono main outputs not a thing on mixers? I usually run my output from the left and pan everything left. Is this normal or am I an idiot who should be doing it another way?

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Are mono main outputs not a thing on mixers? I usually run my output from the left and pan everything left. Is this normal or am I an idiot who should be doing it another way?

Hate to be the one to break it to you but you're perfectly normal, as far as live sound goes anyway.
Stereo generally ain't worth the hassle at anything you'd mix yourself.
Recordings of course but not live sound.
Certainly not mixing and playing.

If that was a mixer question yes, pan to one side if the signal is stronger that way than just leaving it in the middle or one of the jacks isn't labeled mono.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD and wetwillie
You can do some cool stuff with stereo, it's just not required to get good sound, imo.
Lot of cool keyboard effects to swirl around or ping pong back and forth. Anything else with a chorus or a flanger on it too.
Some types of vocal reverbs or snapback delays, echoes, etc.

A small amount of panning can also help get separation between similar/same instruments, like 2 guitars, but I've heard way too many people go overboard with it. End up with just the slice up the middle of the closer audience getting the full sound while the folks on both sides hear it too far out of balance. One guitar overbearing while the other way in the background, etc.
A lead should usually be panned back to the middle which pretty much requires a dedicated mix guy to do.
None of that really necessary imo if their tones are more complimentary instead of competing.

Of course the drum fills that pan right to left as he goes around the kit. Need a knob guy for that one too else you get the same too far split problem during the rest of the song.

For a DIY band, and especially mixing from stage, mono and complimentary tones / self mix slotting is the way to go.

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings and OOD
Curious what your desired end result is . .
Some mixers have "grouping"(different companies use different names . . ). So like you bass could be stereo on the Group A mains output while only on left for Group B stereo outputs -i.e. still stereo(or not) for the rest of the band, just not the Bass.

• Gravy
You can do some cool stuff with stereo, it's just not required to get good sound, imo.
Lot of cool keyboard effects to swirl around or ping pong back and forth. Anything else with a chorus or a flanger on it too.
Some types of vocal reverbs or snapback delays, echoes, etc.

A small amount of panning can also help get separation between similar/same instruments, like 2 guitars, but I've heard way too many people go overboard with it. End up with just the slice up the middle of the closer audience getting the full sound while the folks on both sides hear it too far out of balance. One guitar overbearing while the other way in the background, etc.
A lead should usually be panned back to the middle which pretty much requires a dedicated mix guy to do.
None of that really necessary imo if their tones are more complimentary instead of competing.

Of course the drum fills that pan right to left as he goes around the kit. Need a knob guy for that one too else you get the same too far split problem during the rest of the song.

For a DIY band, and especially mixing from stage, mono and complimentary tones / self mix slotting is the way to go.
I always do mono live cause I don't have a sound guy and I play on tiny stages. You can't really hear how awesome stereo is if the speakers are too close together imo. I'm not against mono recordings either because most of the time I listen to music from a single speaker and a well mixed mono track is great for that.

• Gravy
Curious what your desired end result is . .
Some mixers have "grouping"(different companies use different names . . ). So like you bass could be stereo on the Group A mains output while only on left for Group B stereo outputs -i.e. still stereo(or not) for the rest of the band, just not the Bass.
I run a mackie profx12 to a single pa speaker. Or when I'm feeling randy, a single Bose L1 which is mono. All I want is the best way to run mono, but I think I already have it by panning left 100%.

I run a mackie profx12 to a single pa speaker. Or when I'm feeling randy, a single Bose L1 which is mono. All I want is the best way to run mono, but I think I already have it by panning left 100%.

Yep, you already are.
Really, if you add a second speaker you're still in mono as long as all the pan pots are in the middle. It's just 2 speakers playing the same thing to cover a larger area and/or be louder than one.

And really, just the panning thing is still "artificial stereo". Real stereo needs multiple mics on everything (or a digital recreation of them) so the listener is hearing the instrument from more than one source, each with a slightly different time of arrival to the ear. Our brains then perceive it as "spacious".
Totally spaced out man you dig.

For an example of too much panning listen to Funk 49 and roll your stereo balance left and right, lol.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
Yep, you already are.
Really, if you add a second speaker you're still in mono as long as all the pan pots are in the middle. It's just 2 speakers playing the same thing to cover a larger area and/or be louder than one.

And really, just the panning thing is still "artificial stereo". Real stereo needs multiple mics on everything (or a digital recreation of them) so the listener is hearing the instrument from more than one source, each with a slightly different time of arrival to the ear. Our brains then perceive it as "spacious".
Totally spaced out man you dig.

For an example of too much panning listen to Funk 49 and roll your stereo balance left and right, lol.
Yeah that's exactly how I'd do it with two speakers.

A little slight modulation on one side will do cool stuff with "artificial stereo". You could put an extremely fast delay and/or eq on one side to mimic a second mic. It's the same concept with running a blend on bass I think. It keeps the fundamental while putting some frosting on top, sounds fuller than either individually. That's why I think it would be cool to run my bass' dirt in stereo, but I'm too lazy for that.

The only one who'd appreciate it is that one other bass player in the crowd and he's too cheap to tip anyway.
He can't dance either.
Hey, hey - I'm not cheap, I just have dancing issues! *I bounce/bop and walk/move a bit while playing. Take the bass off my neck and I feel naked on the dance floor. It's way too much pressure, much more than holding the groove an entire crowd of several hundred can hear.:rolleyes:

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and OOD
Hey, hey - I'm not cheap, I just have dancing issues! *I bounce/bop and walk/move a bit while playing. Take the bass off my neck and I feel naked on the dance floor. It's way too much pressure, much more than holding the groove an entire crowd of several hundred can hear.:rolleyes:
I make a conscious effort to move around some and not look like a mud fencepost but ya I'm no dancer.
Kind of odd how a lot of bass players and drummers are like that but it is what it is.

• Gravy
  • Love
Reactions: OOD and wetwillie
I tend to be "stoic" on stage.
Usually because most of the places we play have no stage or room to move.
I kept moving at this place one night, but only because the restrooms were behind us and we were blocking the way.

I make a conscious effort to move around some and not look like a mud fencepost but ya I'm no dancer.
Kind of odd how a lot of bass players and drummers are like that but it is what it is.
I don't even think about it, I think it's just my body habitus - I must be 3/4 Sasquatch. Short legs yet taller, long torso, long ass arms with thick biceps and oversized hands at the end. Decent combo for boxing, better for grappling, mildly dangerous on the dance floor.