Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

I pulled out my G&L L2KT after exclusively playing my jazz for a while, and the L2k is a bitch on my wrist. Between the extra .25 inches of nut and the baseball bat of a neck, I just dont find it comfortable anymore. I want to love it, but I've realized that it's been uncomfortable since I broke my finger 10 years ago. These days it stays in the case a lot. I have it tuned BEAD for low B emergencies.

It got me thinking that 5 strings might be out of the question for me because of the extra reach. If I were to convert a p-bass I would have a similar issue with the reach, and the nut on a jazz is probably too small to add a string. I might look into short scales again and tune my jazz BEAD. On the other hand, I can just convert a jazz and ignore the 1st-4th frets. I might be just crazy enough to put 5 strings on a 1.5 inch nut.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
I pulled out my G&L L2KT after exclusively playing my jazz for a while, and the L2k is a bitch on my wrist. Between the extra .25 inches of nut and the baseball bat of a neck, I just dont find it comfortable anymore. I want to love it, but I've realized that it's been uncomfortable since I broke my finger 10 years ago. These days it stays in the case a lot. I have it tuned BEAD for low B emergencies.

It got me thinking that 5 strings might be out of the question for me because of the extra reach. If I were to convert a p-bass I would have a similar issue with the reach, and the nut on a jazz is probably too small to add a string. I might look into short scales again and tune my jazz BEAD. On the other hand, I can just convert a jazz and ignore the 1st-4th frets. I might be just crazy enough to put 5 strings on a 1.5 inch nut.
na dont it will get weird at the lower frets :)

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and OOD
na dont it will get weird at the lower frets :)
I think so too after measuring. It gets into guitar spacing to put 5 strings on a jazz nut. I think I'd be better off with a nut closer to 1.75 and a thin neck. I have my eye on Ibanez, Yamaha, and Spector. The bridge spacing is important too, but it's hard to get specs on bridges.

• Gravy
if anything id make a 3 string bass for even narrower nut width :p
sq1u5ydipnbsbplymtxz.jpg

• Love
  • Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant and adi
I just left Sam Ash, and I'm glad I made the trip. I played a 5-string Ibanez SR-premium, a 6-string BTB-standard, and a 5-string BTB-standard. When I picked up my Squier jazz, that I took in for comparison, I immediately climaxed. Although, I highly recommend both of those BTBs. If I was looking for a toy instead of a work horse, I would have jumped all over that BTB6.

I also played a Peavey T-40 that was amazing. It would have gone home with me if not for that infamous neck-dive.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and HipHugHer
While I was in there I also picked up an American Jazz. Let me tell you, I got lucky when I found my Chinese squier jazz for 90 bucks in a pawns shop. The USA didn't hold a candle to the feel of my neck. But I will admit the USA sounded better, I would think because of better pick-ups

• Gravy
I hit up the guitar center on the way back home and picked up this bad boy. I was shocked by how transparent it was with the voice knob down. It just sounded like my bass. The drive is nice, not heavy at all, and doesn't kill the bass. The low knob is at a good freq. It almost sounds like a blend. There's better pedals but not for 20 bucks.

1596495324394-1524846262.jpg

I hit up the guitar center on the way back home and picked up this bad boy. I was shocked by how transparent it was with the voice knob down. It just sounded like my bass. The drive is nice, not heavy at all, and doesn't kill the bass. The low knob is at a good freq. It almost sounds like a blend. There's better pedals but not for 20 bucks.

View attachment 12278

Your description sounds like it's up my alley.

The voicing I mean but I'd be lying if I didn't say the price was too.

• Gravy
Your description sounds like it's up my alley.

The voicing I mean but I'd be lying if I didn't say the price was too.

You heard of this site? They have Joyo and a bunch of other cheaper brands. I think they stopped making the one I got but I would be willing to give their other stuff a try. There was one called American Sound that was a fender amp sim. The TB crew swore by them. There's a white one on there called California Sound that's a Mesa sim.

Disclaimer: I've never ordered from that site, and these are not bass specific pedals--far from it.

• Gravy

View attachment 12278

I have this one. Mesa boogie sim.
51km1g-9QKL._AC_SX425_.jpg

guess i never posted in here about it.

not sure if y'all remember when i had a couple hundred bucks to play with last year and was deciding between a fretless bass or a new guitar to replace the $50 chinese knockoff strat I'd been playing for 8 years.

anyway I bought a prs (se) custom 22.

and while I was at it I picked up a boss katana50 because $300 for a digital modelling combo amp with a ton of effects emulations?? count me the fuck in. even if it sounds moderately above complete shite it's worth that price tag.

it fucks. love it. been sitting here making patches for 3 days. ass hasn't left my chair.

I just left Sam Ash, and I'm glad I made the trip. I played a 5-string Ibanez SR-premium, a 6-string BTB-standard, and a 5-string BTB-standard. When I picked up my Squier jazz, that I took in for comparison, I immediately climaxed. Although, I highly recommend both of those BTBs. If I was looking for a toy instead of a work horse, I would have jumped all over that BTB6.

I also played a Peavey T-40 that was amazing. It would have gone home with me if not for that infamous neck-dive.
I see Ibanez has dropped their ATK series. I have 2 of them, have had 4 total. Each one, neck is different. The cheap 305 has the best neck - narrowish and thin. The 805 and 1205 I got rid of - chunkier neck, heavier body, fuck all of that.

Those 805s were some sweet looking instruments for sure.
Some were, some were kind blah imo. The dark, natural finish ones - that shit got old to look at quickly for me, the light, natural was better. I'm rather fond of the sunburst finishes - my 2 remaining ATks are SB. Wife calls them my "grandpa basses" - she thinks sunburst looks out of date.

• Gravy