Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

Who knows with Nukes mix matching all the time. Which is why I asked. All that can be know from that post is which B string is on there now and which B string is going to be on there later.

Nothing wrong with mixing string either. It works out great sometimes.
Currently has D'ADARRIO phosphor bronze .130 B. So fret noisy!
Soon to be GHS phosphor bronze .120 PRESSURE WOUND B.
There was nothing unclear in my original post.

Currently has D'ADARRIO phosphor bronze .130 B. So fret noisy!
Soon to be GHS phosphor bronze .120 PRESSURE WOUND B.
There was nothing unclear in my original post.
What are the top for strings on the bass? That is what is unclear. Your post in general was not unclear. I'm drunk. I love you.

• Gravy
Reactions: nukes
Isn't .120 a little thin for a B?

"Standard", if there is one, seems to be around .128 or so but don't know about acoustic.

I had an acoustic* bass (Fender) for awhile with Phosphor Bronze Strings on it and experienced “fret noise” also. Clicking, only noticeable when plugged in, and I wrote it off as shitty technique that the bass amplified.

I know that can’t be Nukes’ problem though, cuz he’s a pro.

* auto correct originally made this say “Ana foisted”. Fuck her.

I had an acoustic* bass (Fender) for awhile with Phosphor Bronze Strings on it and experienced “fret noise” also. Clicking, only noticeable when plugged in, and I wrote it off as shitty technique that the bass amplified.

I know that can’t be Nukes’ problem though, cuz he’s a pro.

* auto correct originally made this say “Ana foisted”. Fuck her.
You can tame the clanking with good technique, though for me it limits my playability, but I don't know a way to tame that scraping sound when you move your hand to a new position. I'm at the point where my technique is what it is. Maybe there is a way I don't know about.

• Gravy
Reactions: Immigrant
You can tame the clanking with good technique, though for me it limits my playability, but I don't know a way to tame that scraping sound when you move your hand to a new position. I'm at the point where my technique is what it is. Maybe there is a way I don't know about.

I tamed the clicking (it wasn’t “clanking”, that’s just being ham-handed) buy selling the fucking thing as none of my other basses had that issue.

The most redeeming thing about that bass was the permanent odor of pipe tobacco it had. The case too. And I never even wanted to “fix” that. It was a joy to take out of the case but that joy vaporized as soon as I plugged it in. Unplugged it was lovely.

I tamed the clicking (it wasn’t “clanking”, that’s just being ham-handed) buy selling the fucking thing as none of my other basses had that issue.

The most redeeming thing about that bass was the permanent odor of pipe tobacco it had. The case too. And I never even wanted to “fix” that. It was a joy to take out of the case but that joy vaporized as soon as I plugged it in. Unplugged it was lovely.
Sounds like an issue with the preamp/electronics. To bad it couldn't replicate the unplugged sound better. My acoustic bass case smells like weed.

I think the scraping sounds so bad because it is micro-flexing the bridge as the scraping pulls on the string lengthwise. Flexing/vibration of the bridge is the only way an acoustic picks up sound, while your SEB makes sound from the strings vibrating in front of the pickup. The scraping doesn't move the strings much in relation to the magnetic fields of a pickup. :iono:

I think the scraping sounds so bad because it is micro-flexing the bridge as the scraping pulls on the string lengthwise. Flexing/vibration of the bridge is the only way an acoustic picks up sound, while your SEB makes sound from the strings vibrating in front of the pickup. The scraping doesn't move the strings much in relation to the magnetic fields of a pickup. :iono:
Too scientific for me man. I got no clue.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie