Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

Isn’t TC one of the brands that rates all of their products higher than actual rating?
I'm not sure if they were when this amp came out. They weren't owned by berhinger at the time. I could be wrong.

I'm not trusting a sticker. I've plugged double the power into it and I can almost max it out. Unless the portaflex isn't really 500 watts, it's defenantly more than 250 like the TC.

The portaflex is 500 watts.
Your strings and your fingers are not.

The big power demand is only in the first couple/few milliseconds of the note attack. The rest of the note ringing out is a small percentage of that.

Basically no matter how fast or hard you play, you physically can't send that speaker 500 watts for any appreciable amount of time at all. If you could it would destroy itself.

• Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie
Nope. Kind of lame I know. It's the toneprint series so the effects are built in. Most of them are pretty good but limited.

You probably gonna run into an input impedance mismatch deal just putting an adapter on the DI.

I bet somebody makes one with a little transformer in it to fix that. Like a reverse DI box to get from low Z xlr back to high Z 1/4".
That's actually another thing my TubeMP could do.

Maybe easier to just split the signal at the bass or pedal board and run in the front of both amps.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD
The portaflex is 500 watts.
Your strings and your fingers are not.

The big power demand is only in the first couple/few milliseconds of the note attack. The rest of the note ringing out is a small percentage of that.

Basically no matter how fast or hard you play, you physically can't send that speaker 500 watts for any appreciable amount of time at all. If you could it would destroy itself.
I never said I give it 500 watts. I said it can handle more than 250. All I know is it works well with the portaflex. And if TC is rated lower than they claim then that 250 watts would be lower in reality. There are no specs for the cab, only the amp. Do you own this amp?

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
You probably gonna run into an input impedance mismatch deal just putting an adapter on the DI.

I bet somebody makes one with a little transformer in it to fix that. Like a reverse DI box to get from low Z xlr back to high Z 1/4".
That's actually another thing my TubeMP could do.

Maybe easier to just split the signal at the bass or pedal board and run in the front of both amps.
I have a input to the power amp that takes line level.
:bast:

I'm not sure if they were when this amp came out. They weren't owned by berhinger at the time. I could be wrong.

Idk if yours is one of those models or if they changed anything since then or what. I didn't even know Behringer bought them lol.

I know they used some built in compression and other DSP stuff to make them sound louder. I remember their "500 watt" amp scoping out on a techs bench at 237 and much No U ensued.

Idk if yours is one of those models or if they changed anything since then or what. I didn't even know Behringer bought them lol.

I know they used some built in compression and other DSP stuff to make them sound louder. I remember their "500 watt" amp scoping out on a techs bench at 237 and much No U ensued.
What free compression!?! Lol

It's probably best to trust your ears at all times. A lot of companies be like that. It's a shame too but they probably do it because people think watts are an indication of loudness. A lot of times watts never make it to the speaker. It's hard not to think of watts that way; It's been pushed in marketing so much.

• Gravy
I never said I give it 500 watts. I said it can handle more than 250. All I know is it works well with the portaflex. And if TC is rated lower than they claim then that 250 watts would be lower in reality. There are no specs for the cab, only the amp. Do you own this amp?

It's kind of semantics really. You know you can play at a certain level without breaking shit so you're fine.

Just pointing out there's more to power handling than a single number and the "ratings" you do get have at least as much marketing in them as they do engineering, probably more.

• Gravy
What free compression!?! Lol

It's probably best to trust your ears at all times. A lot of companies be like that. It's a shame too but they probably do it because people think watts are an indication of loudness. A lot of times watts never make it to the speaker. It's hard not to think of watts that way; It's been pushed in marketing so much.

They should rate amps according to what they actually do which is multiply voltage. Then maybe people would calm the hell down when they have smaller numbers to look at.

• Gravy
It's kind of semantics really. You know you can play at a certain level without breaking shit so you're fine.

Just pointing out there's more to power handling than a single number and the "ratings" you do get have at least as much marketing in them as they do engineering, probably more.
Speaking of, the guitarist looked at me last night and said "is that distortion on your bass" I was just like god I hope not. That can only mean one thing lol. It was pretty clean though not sure what he was hearing. Maybe I cut one near the Mic.

• Gravy
@HipHugHer you have me convinced on the slaving. I can even use my mixer to test it out without buying an adapter. I can at least see if I like it that way before blowing dough on a head I might not need.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer and nukes
You also don't need a second combo amp. You just need a extension cab.
Yeah but I want the speakers and cab to be the same. Im not into mixing cabs. And it would have to be powered which is basically a combo without a preamp. This way I get the option to take just the combo having one less thing to carry.

• Gravy
Took the Hartke back today. There were a couple of 5 strings staring at me. The need a good home but I'm all set on B strings.