Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

Rickenbacker finally redesigned their 5 string and it's got good string spacing and a good non Rickenbacker bridge but here's the caveat-. It has triangular pickups.

Yes, we had that discussion here a few months ago.

I had a Jetglo 4003 for a year but couldn’t gel with it, but that didn’t stop my desire to love them.

I had a Jetglo 4003 for a year but couldn’t gel with it, but that didn’t stop my desire to love them.
I had a 1974 Factory fretless Rickenbacker 4003 with the I want to say electric blue finish in the checkerboard binding. Ripped my carpal tunnel to pieces.

I should qualify "not impressed".

If you're gonna build one it goes like this...

Cut about an inch wide "outline" of the body shape out of plywood layered up to make the body thickness. Include some extra where the bridge and neck mount.

Then get some of that "heavy cardboard-ish" or whatever it is material like they use for folding card table tops and use that for the top and back. Know the name of the stuff but can't think of it.

Then cover all that with that stick on vynil type stuff like people used to line the bottoms of kitchen drawers and cabinets. That's the finish. Know the name of that stuff too but also can't think of it.

The neck was stable but had these little almost guitar size tuners that felt too small and weak for precise tuning. Thought somebody might've rigged those on there at some point but the hole size and spacing says it never did have full-size bass tuners.

It's not "wrong" per se. It's structurally strong where it needs to be, and I think the hollows and flimsier top and back really are part of that sound.
Just looking at the materials and how it's made I figured it should cost a fair bit less than a regular built and finished bass with good hardware.

This bass was some shorter scale than standard. Don't remember if it was 30" or 32" or what. And I don't know if the Longhorn is built like that at all.

• Gravy
Reactions: Strings
I should qualify "not impressed".

If you're gonna build one it goes like this...

Cut about an inch wide "outline" of the body shape out of plywood layered up to make the body thickness. Include some extra where the bridge and neck mount.

Then get some of that "heavy cardboard-ish" or whatever it is material like they use for folding card table tops and use that for the top and back. Know the name of the stuff but can't think of it.

Then cover all that with that stick on vynil type stuff like people used to line the bottoms of kitchen drawers and cabinets. That's the finish. Know the name of that stuff too but also can't think of it.

The neck was stable but had these little almost guitar size tuners that felt too small and weak for precise tuning. Thought somebody might've rigged those on there at some point but the hole size and spacing says it never did have full-size bass tuners.

It's not "wrong" per se. It's structurally strong where it needs to be, and I think the hollows and flimsier top and back really are part of that sound.
Just looking at the materials and how it's made I figured it should cost a fair bit less than a regular built and finished bass with good hardware.

This bass was some shorter scale than standard. Don't remember if it was 30" or 32" or what. And I don't know if the Longhorn is built like that at all.
*Masonite

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
HAd it - marginally POS.
Look for a

These are really nice - I have the previous 5 string model with the 4/1 headstock.
Retrovibe Vantage. Previous model was the SkyBlue. Only in Blue :rolleyes:
Red-hero.jpg