Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

learning curve is steep. i've been using it for 5 years now I think...maybe 6. RTFM is very sound advice for this program but it's a beast once you have the keyboard shortcuts down and have figured out how it operates between sessions and arrangements.

the chaining feature on effect racks is crazy powerful too. i can split anything into multiple effect chains and split those even further like an endless decision tree. i had one kick drum that i fed through so many chains that i think there were 12 different versions of it finally going to the master.
sick :):):) sounds like a lot of routing possibilities there which would be almost impossible in hardware
limit is the cpu and ram im guessing
and if doing very high res or multi track recording type stuff the solid state drive speed will matter

sick :):):) sounds like a lot of routing possibilities there which would be almost impossible in hardware
limit is the cpu and ram im guessing
and if doing very high res or multi track recording type stuff the solid state drive speed will matter

I do all of this on a base spec macbook pro and use like 20% cpu when I'm really layering heavy.

it has to boost and eventually glitches out at like >70% cpu when you start doing live modulations with m4l/msp packages and daisy-chaining midi mappings (LFOs controlling envelopes controlling other LFOs finally mapped to params on a third-party synth plugin or something). or if you get like 4 FM synths interacting with each other across multiple busses. in general it's really efficient though, if you're only using stock items or built-in chains without a bunch of third-party layers it's really really hard to push your computer too far.

if you host your libraries on external drives then disk speed does become a problem in the case of 200gb+ sample libraries like the giant or berlin strings, but i haven't had any problems with fazioli pianos, evo strings, or mystica choirs at all. all hosted on a 3TB WD external HDD with USB3.0.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and wetwillie

for a specific example, the first bus was routed through the second and both were separately fed to another return with a delay. all three were sent to the master.

all of this used about 12% cpu on a 2.7gHz i5 with 8gb ram. didn't break a sweat.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
I do all of this on a base spec macbook pro and use like 20% cpu when I'm really layering heavy.

it has to boost and eventually glitches out at like >70% cpu when you start doing live modulations with m4l/msp packages and daisy-chaining midi mappings (LFOs controlling envelopes controlling other LFOs finally mapped to params on a third-party synth plugin or something). or if you get like 4 FM synths interacting with each other across multiple busses. in general it's really efficient though, if you're only using stock items or built-in chains without a bunch of third-party layers it's really really hard to push your computer too far.

if you host your libraries on external drives then disk speed does become a problem in the case of 200gb+ sample libraries like the giant or berlin strings, but i haven't had any problems with fazioli pianos, evo strings, or mystica choirs at all. all hosted on a 3TB WD external HDD with USB3.0.
ya thats true its the third party plugins that are heavier on the computer
i use a mac mini which is quite old and craps out if i use certain plugins or instruments and it really cannot handle reason with tp plugins
even cubase doesnt get heavy till i start using soothe and ozone and some reverbs
must say fab filter and psp and even bx make some light plugins which can be used a lot
especially the bx consoles
makes sense getting faster external drives like the 7200rpm ones because of the sample libraries, if any..

Last edited:
View attachment 10100

View attachment 10099

for a specific example, the first bus was routed through the second and both were separately fed to another return with a delay. all three were sent to the master.

all of this used about 12% cpu on a 2.7gHz i5 with 8gb ram. didn't break a sweat.
right
its like all channels are group channels/busses or something like that :) maybe im getting it wrong

right
its like all channels are group channels/busses or something like that :) maybe im getting it wrong

kind of. each channel is like your instrument/amp and then the dedicated send/return busses are like your mixer bus in a normal studio setup. chaining and stuff in the channel is like wiring up a pedalboard.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
kind of. each channel is like your instrument/amp and then the dedicated send/return busses are like your mixer bus in a normal studio setup. chaining and stuff in the channel is like wiring up a pedalboard.
neat :) thanks def baba im really tempted to chk this out again, i have a version of ableton that i got free with the novation circuit..

Darth has so much dandruff the slopes of his shoulders rival Swiss ski resorts .
Call now for our group rates for singles Xmas special .