Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

SWIM : someone was impersonating mom :fly: Glad you're thinking about doing some recording Hips! :p

No. I just got off the phone with her this morning. They're all the way retired now, not working part time or anything. She can get back into writing country songs and reworking, getting real recordings of her old stuff she has in boxes on hand written staff paper and cassette tapes.

My "writing" is sing/scat it into the phone, then throw a rock and hit somebody with recording gear.

Although yes, we'd both have the same program to work from and send stuff back and forth. She's the lyricist/idea person. I play the instruments (except drums).

What would be a good home recording program for my Mom?

Very simple, intuitive, and easy to use are absolute musts. No computer nerd knowledge or getting lost in a bazillion plugins needed.
Interface that looks like gear. Click on a knob/slider and move it. No entering a bunch of numbers to set parameters, etc.
Need to be able to email files back and forth and very easily put it on the screen and add to or work on what the other person did.
Windows PC or laptop if that matters, nobody has apple stuff.
A few acceptable enough basic drum sounds for programming those tracks. The rest would be sang on a 58 or played Mic'd up or direct real instruments.
The more simple point/click/turn knob/push button the better.

In other words, what would be quick and intuitive to get up and running for a 70 year old who's last work was done on a tascam 4-track cassette.
Protools?

Protools?
Protools has a free version too that can save files to load into the full version of protools. (At least it could a few years ago) It's about as hard to learn as Audacity. Both have a learning curve for a beginner. I dont know if either have a built in drum machine. Garage Band is probably the easiest and has drums but it's probably not worth the Apple baggage.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually used any of these in years but I've used all of them in the past.

What would be a good home recording program for my Mom?

Very simple, intuitive, and easy to use are absolute musts. No computer nerd knowledge or getting lost in a bazillion plugins needed.
Interface that looks like gear. Click on a knob/slider and move it. No entering a bunch of numbers to set parameters, etc.
Need to be able to email files back and forth and very easily put it on the screen and add to or work on what the other person did.
Windows PC or laptop if that matters, nobody has apple stuff.
A few acceptable enough basic drum sounds for programming those tracks. The rest would be sang on a 58 or played Mic'd up or direct real instruments.
The more simple point/click/turn knob/push button the better.

In other words, what would be quick and intuitive to get up and running for a 70 year old who's last work was done on a tascam 4-track cassette.
maybe something like this?

Don't underestimate your mom @HipHugHer , if she used a four track she'll be a brave heart cutting virtual tape with no repercussions and flying right along .
Encourage her to save a lot and be brave .

I bet she will, just a lot of this stuff is gonna be overwhelming at first. Don't know that she really understands all the capabilities we have now.

This is bullshit. Hips had misical parents, he got a head start. I never had no musical parents, I had to start from scratch and learn shit all on my own
I demand reparations

My first band was the family band. Was playing bar gigs at age 13.
Made $50 a night and usually got comp'd a burger & fries or something.

Nowdays they want to give you the same $50, which would be like $15 in 80's money, and pay to eat.

Protools has a free version too that can save files to load into the full version of protools. (At least it could a few years ago) It's about as hard to learn as Audacity. Both have a learning curve for a beginner. I dont know if either have a built in drum machine. Garage Band is probably the easiest and has drums but it's probably not worth the Apple baggage.

Disclaimer: I haven't actually used any of these in years but I've used all of them in the past.
No drum machine in Audacity, just a click track. But you can drop in a track of beats. I use it regularly here at work - recordings of hearings for most Courts,etc. are done in .ogg format and it works great for them.

You put beats to the court hearings?
HEH!
No, I leave that to the Judge. Sometimes our clients say the stupidest things - occasionally I make a little mix of their stupidest shit. Loved hearing our client yell at a Judge "it's not over until the fat lady sings". From a woman who is well over 400 lbs/181 kg.:fly: