Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

Adi, I've been practicing with a pick lately and I've figured out that some rhythms work well with a straight down/up/down/up/down/up Others better with down/down/up/down/down/up/down/up.

Just depends. Usually if there is a rest I will go down twice. It helps me keep time. Basically like the drum paradiddles you mentioned.

I also have to turn my amp down because no matter what I do the pick seems louder than fingers. That is likely bad technique but you know whatever.

Also play around with how much of the tip you use and what angle you hold it at. That can make the pick feel less grabby.

Adi, I've been practicing with a pick lately and I've figured out that some rhythms work well with a straight down/up/down/up/down/up Others better with down/down/up/down/down/up/down/up.

Just depends. Usually if there is a rest I will go down twice. It helps me keep time. Basically like the drum paradiddles you mentioned.

I also have to turn my amp down because no matter what I do the pick seems louder than fingers. That is likely bad technique but you know whatever.

Also play around with how much of the tip you use and what angle you hold it at. That can make the pick feel less grabby.
thanks ood baba imma try all these in fact some i have already been like how much pick and what angle :)
a slight angle prvides a slightly "zingy" tone while dead flat its like a more precise attack but not very easy to move from string to string so a little angle always seems to work for me for now, im too new to it still to tell for sure :)

thanks ood baba imma try all these in fact some i have already been like how much pick and what angle :)
a slight angle prvides a slightly "zingy" tone while dead flat its like a more precise attack but not very easy to move from string to string so a little angle always seems to work for me for now, im too new to it still to tell for sure :)

come-on-just-the-tip-4330945.png

Once you get comfortable using a pick, it can be used almost like can effect. You can do some cool stuff.
But no one will care cause its on bass.
even more reason for more experimentation :p:D

i love it when i go to these bollywood sessions and the keys and guitar and drums all get the weirdest instructions from these complete filmy types as to what to do on the track then they look at the bass and they have no clue what to tell me and im saved of a lot of useless iq lowering gibberish lol

Once you figure out good technique with a pick and try it with heavy distortion you may as well get one of those pick holders to stick on your bass cause there's no replicating that bliss with fingers.

• Love
  • Gravy
Reactions: wetwillie and adi
Alternate picking, Adi.
Learn to control your speed and aggression. You don't need a hard attack.
Let the amp do the work. Then dig in when you want loud and aggressive.

This ^^

Can only add keep the alternate down up thing going across different strings, skip a string, etc.

Consistency. Can make different sounds with different attacks but also should be able to make it so you can't hear a difference between a down stroke and an up stroke.

Stopping notes just as important as starting them but that applies to all styles.

• Gravy
Reactions: OOD