Ontopic String's and Adi's gear & pedal thread

I pulled the shaft off of my tone pot trying to get the knob off. I guess I'll be replacing those with the screw on type. Not gonna lie, I'm surprised that bass didn't get tossed across the room.

I've never seen this happen. Makes me wonder if someone previous super glued the knob on 'cause it kept falling off.

My Carvin has set screws in the side of the knobs that grip smooth metal shaft pots. A $90 bass should have plastic gear wheel looking shaft pots and press-on knobs though.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi, OOD and nukes
I've never seen this happen. Makes me wonder if someone previous super glued the knob on 'cause it kept falling off.

My Carvin has set screws in the side of the knobs that grip smooth metal shaft pots. A $90 bass should have plastic gear wheel looking shaft pots and press-on knobs though.
It's of paramount importance that your knob stay on the shaft during extended pulls.

It's of paramount importance that your knob stay on the shaft during extended pulls.

A pot of that design would never be more than one stroke away from receiving and equal number of pushes and pulls though, thereby ensuring equilibrium in the knob/shaft relationship.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and Immigrant
Mi no comprende 5 string Ric.

Would be like getting a '67 Camaro and putting a touchscreen display and Bluetooth or something in it. Or a bunch of computer controlled safety features or something.

Thing is I've removed it before. It just had all it could take this time. It is the plastic ones. I actually like the way they look but they do make metal versions. Do the set screw knobs work on a split shaft?

• Gravy
Reactions: adi
Thing is I've removed it before. It just had all it could take this time. It is the plastic ones. I actually like the way they look but they do make metal versions. Do the set screw knobs work on a split shaft?

You can make them work but it's not a set it and forget it thing.

Easy to tighten the screw too much and make a weak spot in the plastic shaft though a little indent/grip is good.

Also set screw needs to land between two "teeth on the gear".

Other thing is if the shaft is "split", like vertically. That doesn't work long term either. Set screw through the split pushes the 2 halves against the insides of the knob but it always works loose eventually.

Other direction pushes the 2 halves together, no grip on the knob and still works loose eventually.

Also both ways make the knob off center. Doesn't have a natural spin.

Confucius say forget all that crap. Use set screw knob only on shaft made for it (smooth side metal).
Others, take a little dab of rtv gasket stuff like you use on cars, or silicone caulk like you use on sinks and tubs. Put tiny little dab on shaft, press knob on, let sit overnight.

Knob feel right.

Sticky stuff be stronger than gum but weaker than glue. Will hold knob on but still be able to get it off with even strength prying on opposite sides with 2 flat screwdrivers, butter knives, or whatever you have.

• Gravy
Reactions: adi and OOD
You can make them work but it's not a set it and forget it thing.

Easy to tighten the screw too much and make a weak spot in the plastic shaft though a little indent/grip is good.

Also set screw needs to land between two "teeth on the gear".

Other thing is if the shaft is "split", like vertically. That doesn't work long term either. Set screw through the split pushes the 2 halves against the insides of the knob but it always works loose eventually.

Other direction pushes the 2 halves together, no grip on the knob and still works loose eventually.

Also both ways make the knob off center. Doesn't have a natural spin.

Confucius say forget all that crap. Use set screw knob only on shaft made for it (smooth side metal).
Others, take a little dab of rtv gasket stuff like you use on cars, or silicone caulk like you use on sinks and tubs. Put tiny little dab on shaft, press knob on, let sit overnight.

Knob feel right.

Sticky stuff be stronger than gum but weaker than glue. Will hold knob on but still be able to get it off with even strength prying on opposite sides with 2 flat screwdrivers, butter knives, or whatever you have.
If you have to use a set-screw on a split shaft, placing a snug shim inside the split and tightening against that(screw at 90 degrees to split, optimally). The shaft can't compress from the set-screw with that shim, stays tight much longer.

I'm going to go ahead with the new nursing home band. What's a good name for a band with no consistent instrumentation? It be a kind of collaboration of whatever musicians I can trick into playing for free.

I'm going to go ahead with the new nursing home band. What's a good name for a band with no consistent instrumentation? It be a kind of collaboration of whatever musicians I can trick into playing for free.

Well if you're gigging nursing homes in the south just use the right synonyms.

Inconsistent obvs = irregular.
Collaborators = Confederates.
One who works for free = volunteer.

The irregular confederate volunteers.

Bonus if you can find a U synonym for volunteer. Then you can just shorten it to ICU.