Storage Space

ZRH

(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
<3
Marklar
₥21,054
Could I technically use one of my old cases to just put 4 160GB HDDs + a power supply in and run SATA cables from a control card out the back of my computer to it?

Obviously not pretty or tolerant of people tripping over it, but it would be faster than putting a file server on my 866 P3 and trying to stream things over the network.

In either case I may be retarded, not to keen on the hardware side of things but it sounds feasible and no one else is awake not to mention google isnt helping me much because I dont quite know what to search.

Awesome, and I did look for external enclosures, they cost as much as two more drives though.

Now to consolidate my music archive kekeke

SpangeMonkee said:
yeah, it'll work. you just have to set up to turn the PSU on. I had a friend that ran an FTP of of 14 SCSI CD-ROMs in their own case.
:drool: :drool: cool!

What did he have on the CD's for download?

gottoys? said:
:drool: :drool: cool!

What did he have on the CD's for download?
I was wondering if he striped them like the guy who ran a 10 meg RAID 0 off floppy drives. ^__^

FlamingGlory said:
Awesome, and I did look for external enclosures, they cost as much as two more drives though.

Now to consolidate my music archive kekeke

Do you have a digi cam? Can you post pics of your final product and the internals? I am curious what this looks like on the inside :)

I've actually got a setup similar to that at home right now. I've got a 400W AT PSU in a second case with 10 40GB drives that I got for free. The controller cards for them are on the main motherboard in the case next to it. I just used zipties to secure the cases together so that there would be no pulilng on the cables. It's been like that for about a year now.

SpangeMonkee said:
I still have a 300GB Seagate and a new PSU that has been sitting in the box for a couple of months. *sigh* straight lazy.
:-O

I had this installed in 10 minutes... Of course my computer took about 20 minutes to get past BIOS because the drives were all set on autodetect (2 on SATA, 3 on seperate IDE controllers).