FYI Stop SOPA and punch GoDaddy in the cant

fly

omg
Oct 1, 2004
Marklar
₥83,323
Steam
mattressfish
So I'm not sure if anyone here cares enough to speak to your Congressman about voting No for SOPA. It *could* shutdown places like UF and also big, important sites as well. Anyway, if you have a few, here is an auto-generator thingie for the Congressmen in your district.

Now, on to other things. I have all my domains through GoDaddy. Their site is a giant cross selling piece of shit. It's what websites in the early 90s looked like. I've been looking for a reason to move and their recent support of SOPA (because they lobbied for an exclusion) was that reason. Namecheap was voted Lifehacker's Best Domain Registrar of 2010 and they currently have two active coupon codes. Coupon code BYEBYEGD will trigger a donation to Save the Elephants. Alternatively, SOPASucks will get you a $6.99 domain transfer to the NameCheap service.

I transferred four domains out this morning and the process was painless.

So if I transfer I don't have to call some jerkoff at GoDaddy or anything?

register.com made me do that once.

you have to goto your godaddy account and unlock your domain and get an authentication code.

then you goto the new registrar and transfer the domain, put in the authentication code, and boom. headshot.

i'm gonna transfer what i have left at godaddy soon... site is a bloated POS anymore.

Thank you for contacting me via e-mail. I appreciate hearing from you and learning your views.

Unfortunately, due to the volume of mail that I receive, I am unable to provide an individual response to each letter. Rest assured that I read every piece of mail sent to me.

If you have a personal problem or a problem dealing with a federal agency, please contact my office at 404-659-0116.

Please note that I cannot accept attachments. If you are sending an invitation, please fax your request to my Washington, D.C. office at (202) 225-0351 or to my Atlanta office at (404) 331-0947. If you are inquiring about a tour, please send an email message to [email protected] indicating the date(s) you will be in Washington and the number of people in your group.

Again, thank you for taking time to contact me.

Sincerely,
John Lewis
Member of Congress

you have to goto your godaddy account and unlock your domain and get an authentication code.

then you goto the new registrar and transfer the domain, put in the authentication code, and boom. headshot.

i'm gonna transfer what i have left at godaddy soon... site is a bloated POS anymore.

Yep, no calling. Its nice and complicatedly easy. Including waiting for all the emails, it probably took me 30 minutes.

I'd have to move my entire web hosting. Not sure how I could do that without downtime.

If you want to, its relatively simple to do. Move the hosting first. Close forum at GoDaddy and open with new host. Redirect DNS (few minutes to few hours downtime, depending on the user). Then move the domain.

Might do this late one night provided it's an automated procedure. But where to move to? I only pay $10/month for the hosting 4lulz is on. I could probably go a little bit higher, say up to $20/month, but I'm sure you pay more than that for UF right?

Sent emails, even though I think/know that telling them what I want is a pointless gesture as they will appease whoever their biggest lobbyist is.