Stolen Money

BeerAd

Flaccid Member
Aug 15, 2005
Largo, Florida
Marklar
₥0
So last night I went up to good Old Chicago to enjoy 99 cent beers for a couple of hours. My buddy Dave and his girlfriend was up there sitting at a rather large table with another couple. I did not know the other couple and after about an hour of sitting at the same table with them they finally said hello. So we have quite a few drinks and being that it is ladies night the girls are drinking free. The bill comes and there is 28 drinks on the ladies, all free. My bill for 10 beers was only 6 and change because he was a cool ass waiter. Heres the problem...

As we are cashing out the younger guy at our table notices a 20 spot sitting not on the table but the divider with a waiters pen on it. The waiter had walked by it about 10 times and had not noticed that he(im guessing) left it there. The guy at our table mentions that he is going to take it. I tell him no and explain how I dont like people who steal or lie. Go out for a smoke and when I come back in he is holding the pen and paying his tab with a 20 that was pulled directly from his pocket, not from the wallet. I said nothing and just ignored it. Heres the question...

Do you think I should have confronted him even though I had no proof and didn't know the guy?

What would you have done in the situation?

Anything similar?

I would have talked to the waiter about the $ after Five Finger Discount Larry left and handed the waiter $20 extra. Another alternative would be to ninja the extra $20 in with your tip. I would then talk to the mutual friend about the issue and let him know you do not wish to hang out with that jackass again.

Regardless of any ethical questions the simple fact is that the waiter shouldn't have left the money out in a public place like that. If I leave my wallet on a restaurant table and go to the bathroom I have no one but myself to blame if it's gone upon my return.

Should it be like that? Perhaps no. Is it like that? Yes.

Regardless of any ethical questions the simple fact is that the waiter shouldn't have left the money out in a public place like that. If I leave my wallet on a restaurant table and go to the bathroom I have no one but myself to blame if it's gone upon my return.

It might have been from a table that paid by credit but left the tip in cash; the waiter left the pen for them to sign their reciepts, grabbed the booklet off the other side of the table and not seent the money with his pen.

Nobody deserves that, regardless of what they should or shouldn't have done. Tips are left on the table all the time, that's just what you do, you don't walk up and personally give the waiter or waitress the money.

As to the OP, I think causing a scene would have been bad, but definately talk to your friend about what a douche HIS friend is.

Leaving your wallet somewhere and forgetting to pick up your tip are two completely different things. I'm too tired to type it out. It's like the difference between petty theft and mugging.

As to the OP, what else could you do? I wouldnt lose sleep over it. Unless you were feeling particularly confrontational which doesnt seem to be your style. Not trying to play it up but meh, I've called people out over parking in handicap spots. It's a shitty bar eh? You couldve just dropped it and watched everyone's reaction for your own entertainment. 5 to 1 your friend would say he has a "problem" and "cant help himself", the person in question says something to the effect of "you dont know me", and you end up without a ride.

Last edited:
Leaving your wallet somewhere and forgetting to pick up your tip are two completely different things. I'm too tired to type it out. It's like the difference between petty theft and mugging.

As to the OP, what else could you do? I wouldnt lose sleep over it. Unless you were feeling particularly confrontational which doesnt seem to be your style. Not trying to play it up but meh, I've called people out over parking in handicap spots. It's a shitty bar eh? You couldve just dropped it and watched everyone's reaction for your own entertainment. 5 to 1 your friend would say he has a "problem" and "cant help himself", the person in question says something to the effect of "you dont know me", and you end up without a ride.

It's more of a family restaurant; not really a bar.

B: Talk to Dave, he doesn't seem like the type to hang out with douchebags like that.

I have talked to Dave about it and just let him know that I would rather not see that kid around anymore. Dave rarely hangs out with him and even openly admits the kid is an idiot. But yeah, I wasn't really asking for advice I guess, more or less asking how others would react in same situation.

My dad was skiing in like Aspen or some shit one time and he left the money on the table with the tip, like 180 bucks or something. They were anxious to get back out on the slopes so they left a rather large tip and wrote thanks on the bill. They came back in later and the waitress confronted them about them leaving NO money on the table and writing THANKS, lol. She believed them but they ended up double paying for everything otherwise it would have came out of her check.

I was taught young to NEVER leave money on the table, ALWAYS hand it to them personally. Plus IMO it looks much more appreciative if your handing the server the tip.

and people claim that violence never solves anything. I guarantee if either of our solutions were employed the fucker would never again steal another tip
Sounds good, but he asked what one would do, realistically.

Sounds good, but he asked what one would do, realistically.

:lol: that's exactly what I would do. unless the friend was a female but if one of my friends ripped off a server like that I'd bust him in the noggin right in front of everyone and embarrass the hell out of him. you just don't do that.

Last edited:
:lol: that's exactly what I would do. unless the friend was a female but if one of my friends ripped off a server like that I'd bust him in the noggin right in front of everyone and embarrass the hell out of him. you just don't do that.
So what, you don’t think women should be treated the same for petty theft? :p

More importantly though, I am saying you wouldn’t. BeeRad doesn’t seem to know him. So were talking hitting a complete stranger here, because of something you don’t actually know happened, but you think happened because he had the pen.

I'm calling yo out. Unless zengirl comes and says random violence is your bag, which she never has and the whole 4 years I've been reading your posts does not point to that behavior at all. If you were maybe 20 years older or one of my more uniquely pathologic friends I'd say sure, possible, but you aren’t.

In my experience the average person in a social situation will do anything to avoid embarrassment or unwanted attention. This means even if they see something they detest, short of maybe a passive aggressive "look", they will do nothing overt or attention attracting. The obvious example of this is the OP in this thread. No slight on BeeRad of course because nearly anyone who acts outside these bounds will be viewed as a social retard regardless of the justifiability of their actions.