Stock Market

Dharma1521

Soooo do I look as young as I look?
Apr 5, 2006
Falls Church, VA
Marklar
₥2,197
So the stock market went down 500 points yesterday thats wild. I would like to suggest that if people freak out and start dumping stock that you pick up what you can. I work for a financial company so I can't go buy stock unless I do it through the company so i have to live vicariously.

I heard about that briefly on the radio, they mentioned analysts weren't terribly concerned about it.

so all y'all who've got money in that market thingy :)fly:), do you know all about it or do you just pay someone to handle it for you and hope for the best? i'm such a control freak that i can't seem to REALLY put SERIOUS money in all that till i know all there is to know about it -- which ain't happenin' for a long time. so should i just close my eyes and do it, or would that be as stupid as it sounds?

I heard about that briefly on the radio, they mentioned analysts weren't terribly concerned about it.

not only that but some point out that it was exactly what we needed to happen. too much growth in the market can cause far more problems than a slight downturn

I've got a guy that handles that for me. Since I'm in it for the extremely long haul (1 decade down, probably three decades to go), I don't get too upset about dips nor do I get too excited about huge gains.

so all y'all who've got money in that market thingy :)fly:), do you know all about it or do you just pay someone to handle it for you and hope for the best? i'm such a control freak that i can't seem to REALLY put SERIOUS money in all that till i know all there is to know about it -- which ain't happenin' for a long time. so should i just close my eyes and do it, or would that be as stupid as it sounds?

You read up on the market and the companies you want to invest in and then invest wisely. You can pay someone to do it, but that's just lazy.

I've got a trust fund with most of the funds not in stock (I think), so I guess I'm not too concerned. Although I wish the trust fund was more diversified and not entirely in US Equity Funds Select, whatever that is. And I can't touch the trust fund until I'm 35, so that's another 10 years so one day's worth of downage doesn't mean much in the overall picture.
Fuck, I hate being left out of the picture in regards to my financial future :(

since i'm still paying off loans, the only market related thing i'm hyper-aware of is the USD/CAD exchange rate. If the Canadian dollar had stayed as cheap as it was six years ago I'd be much closer to debt free.

Yesterday was mostly a fluke as people were afraid. They were talking before the market opened how the market dropped a ton in China, so people were already looking for failure and as a result trading was high. It was so high as a result that the system couldn't keep up. While they switched up to a backup system the drop was worse and it actually went down over 500 points before 3pm. http://www.kstp.com/article/stories/S33513.shtml?cat=1

The proof is today, its not great but its not a huge drop like yesterday.