Thread Steam Deck thoughts?

dbzeag

Wants to kiss you where it stinks
Jun 9, 2006
Marklar
₥1,014
Anyone interested in the Steam Deck? Anyone preorder? Anyone get it already?

I am very interested because of the story behind it, the enthusiasm behind its design, and because of the openness, you can install almost any game store. Most reviews are raving about it and Valve is totally dedicated to keep improving it, updating the OS very often.

OoOh it's a game console.
Knowing this place, at first I thought it was a upper decker/Cleveland steamer hybrid.

I'm kinda with Mike. I don't have time to game out in the wild, if I was flying every other week for work I might be down for it.

I like the idea and the execution seems to be solid, though

ill consider installing SteamOS 3 on my desktop when it comes out. Seems it basically bridges the decades old gap of gaming on linux

• Gravy
Reactions: dbzeag
as someone who can currently only play video games after my kid goes to sleep at night, I like the idea of being able to play in bed/without having to do a whole elaborate camera setup to monitor for spawn-stirring while I am out of the room and then actually having to monitor it, I'm stoked on the convenience of it, but I'm not ready to jump in yet.

I have a Switch but I basically got it as an Animal Crossing machine & haven't fucked with it for... probably over a year at this point? we moved the TV it was hooked up to and my kid got more mobile so I could't use the same TV because she'll fuck with it, and we already have a bunch of stuff hooked up to The Main TV (and at some point have to reorganize all that stuff because we've just been adding stuff piecemeal lol) but also I'm more interested in stuff that either isn't on Switch or I already own (sometimes several versions of) and don't want to purchase YET ANOTHER copy of just for the convenience of playing on Switch. or like, I finally got a copy of the ONE Nintendo game I've spent two decades pining for (OoT), and I could have gotten it for the Switch except that it exists via a subscription I'd have to keep paying for.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Idk about controller stuff. I've used my keyboard/mouse for so long. I think the last console I had was a ps3. It's hard to conceptualize not having 20 some odd mouse buttons. Seems nifty but I wouldnt buy it.

Meh I dunno. We have all the consoles as well as desktop and laptops for gaming so we're pretty saturated. I feel like it would be hard to compete with the switch since that's so portable and awesome. I'd be interested to hear from people who have them though.

What I am interested in is for $400 you have a gaming PC. You can plug in a 4K 120hz monitor, keyboard, and mouse into this. (they will have docking stations to make this easier later in the year). This will run a majority of your AAA games, and emulators of any variety (even Switch because of how powerful the processor is). I am fascinated by it and like the out-of-the-box thinking that went into it.

What I am interested in is for $400 you have a gaming PC. You can plug in a 4K 120hz monitor, keyboard, and mouse into this. (they will have docking stations to make this easier later in the year). This will run a majority of your AAA games, and emulators of any variety (even Switch because of how powerful the processor is). I am fascinated by it and like the out-of-the-box thinking that went into it.
Well that is interesting. However, I can't imagine it has great 4k speeds as compared to a desktop (or laptop even). If it does, that thing must heat up to about 200F.

so, id be careful with this logic. the only reason the steam deck performs so good is because its display is 720P. Which is fine for the size.

It wont be strong enough to push desktop gaming resolutions for many games. Itll be fine for 2d use of course, but less performant on gaming. Thats said... a lot of the AI upscaling stuff (FSR 2.0, DLSS, etc), actually runs 4k games at 720p and upscales them to look damn close to 4k native. So thats a possibility

steam deck looks awesome. i can't justify it because i have a switch already and don't game enough to really need two machines like that but...yea, looks like an incredible release.

• Gravy
Reactions: fly
Well that is interesting. However, I can't imagine it has great 4k speeds as compared to a desktop (or laptop even). If it does, that thing must heat up to about 200F.
that just means that it can do double duty as a buff to sterility :lol:

• Haha
Reactions: fly