Ontopic Stand Your Ground prosecution screws the pooch again.

I'm going to disagree. Just like w/Zimmerman, if the cops don't see that something illegal was done, there's no need for an arrest.

I don't think you should constantly get arrested & then be interrogated later to see if you committed a crime.

I do. Fuck convenience. You can sit tight for around 24 hours while we work out exactly what happened.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by 123
I do. Fuck convenience. You can sit tight for around 24 hours while we work out exactly what happened.

except its not 24 hours. That would be vaguely reasonable.

Its weeks to months.

not the point. I did nothing illegal & you get to snatch 24 hours + out of my life? To what, justify your salary? So, the stability of my family, job, and the rest of my life are irrelevant while the government tries to figure shit out? And I'm paying you to do it?

You're not even an elected official & have this point of view? FUCK.

Last edited:
As hilarious as it would be to see multiple cities bankrupted by false arrest lawsuits you are actually supposed to have "probable cause" to arrest someone. You only need "reasonable suspicion" to search them.

An arrest can actually ruin someone's life. It pops on certain background checks, being in jail for any length of time for any reason is enough to lose your job over. It's not something that is supposed to be taken lightly.

As hilarious as it would be to see multiple cities bankrupted by false arrest lawsuits you are actually supposed to have "probable cause" to arrest someone. You only need "reasonable suspicion" to search them.

An arrest can actually ruin someone's life. It pops on certain background checks, being in jail for any length of time for any reason is enough to lose your job over. It's not something that is supposed to be taken lightly.

As far as I know you can detain anyone for 24 hours. Probably cause? Dude just shot someone.

The fact that the public has access to these records is retarded. That needs to be done away with.

As far as I know you can detain anyone for 24 hours. Probably cause? Dude just shot someone.

The fact that the public has access to these records is retarded. That needs to be done away with.
Holding people for questioning isn't the same as arresting them. There is actually a huge difference. Arrest means you are likely to have committed a crime and you are going be charged.

Last edited:
Holding people for questioning isn't the same as arresting them. There is actually a huge difference. Arrest means you are likely to have committed a crime and you are going to a bail hearing.

I really don't care what label they throw on it. I just want people checked out if they shoot someone, and only freed if they aren't a danger.

I really don't care what label they throw on it. I just want people checked out if they shoot someone, and only freed if they aren't a danger.
So only if they shoot them.

I guess stabbing is ok then.

Doesn't matter. The purpose is to avoid allowing a dangerous person free in society.
There would totally be no chilling effect on anyone trying to defend themselves. Which I believe is the entire point of the law in the first place...

Also, how many people walk away from any police call incident involving deadly force? Here's a tip, it's not many, and it usually only happens in rural areas where the local LE has a lot of community traction. Larger departments have insurance standards to meet which require them to detain people.

There would totally be no chilling effect on anyone trying to defend themselves. Which I believe is the entire point of the law in the first place...

Also, how many people walk away from any police call incident involving deadly force? Here's a tip, it's not many, and it usually only happens in rural areas where the local LE has a lot of community traction. Larger departments have insurance standards to meet which require them to detain people.

Happened in the Zimmerman case.

Whether it happens or not is moot. I'm just saying that's how I see it should be done.

Last edited: