SQL- A New Challenge For Work & Fun!

BigDov

Erect Member
Oct 14, 2004
close to Seattle
Marklar
₥0
Found out last week that the SQL guru in the group is leaving the company...... what that means is that those of us (me) in the group that have relied heavily on his coding and scripting skills, are going to be up shit creek without a paddle when he's gone.

I told the boss that I'd be more than willing to learn some SQL to try and make up for the loss, but I guess I'm not quite sure what I'm getting myself into. Is it difficult to learn, use, etc? I have to admit, I'm a little scared at the prospect of branching so far out of my comfort zone, but at the same time, something new and different will sure be nice.

Thoughts on SQL please.

So basically not very difficult eh? Good..... I think getting the basics down will at least help me understand some of the stuff he's got set up that's running right now.

it's easy, but about as much fun as a kick to the testicals

Fat Burger said:
Oh, you're screwed then.

Just kidding. I took a week of SQL training, but I hardly remember any of it, since I knew absolutely nothing about SQL before the class.

Is this one of those teaching an old dog new tricks kind of things??? :(

:lol:

Don't worry about it. You'll pick it up in no time at all. If you're not at all into programming it might take you a little while longer but I wouldn't worry too much about it.

SELECT foo FROM bar WHERE foo = 'meh';
Select field "foo" from table "bar" where field "foo" has a value of "meh".

That's the most basic way of extracting data and as you can see it's quite straight forward. What can get a little bit tricky is table joins. But once you get the hang of it you'll see that it's very logical.

BigDov's diary entry at the end of the day:
I told my big meanie head boss today that I'd learn something new, but he called me a poo-head and told me to "sit on this and rotate" and stuck his middle finger in the air. Then I went online to see if I was getting in over my head and those meanies told me to "sit on this and rotate" then showed me a picture of a middle finger.
So I decided to try it and now my poo-hole is bleeding.

Diary...never try to learn SQL...it makes your poopy hole hurt.
:( :(

PS
I saw the cute guy today at work and he smiled at me. heheheheheheheheheheheheh

BigDov said:
That doesn't look like it'll be too awful...... thanks :)
Check an online tutorial, like this http://www.w3schools.com/sql/default.asp

Should give you an idea of what you're getting yourself into. Hell, if you want my books from the class I took, I can give them to you. They're typical Microsoft stuff. I'd want them back eventually, but I haven't used them yet, so you can keep them as long as you'd like.