Food Springtime Thread 2016

thats what i call staking i think. The challenge i have with it, is it supports the central stalk only, and tomatoes tend to get out of control quick and get 3-6 equal sized offshoots that are heavy, and will either tear off the central stalk if unsupported, or need to be tied up as well.

hmmm, after looking at pictures of grapes... it not.

Thats much closer to what im doing here than to staking. how many lines you thinking to run sideways across the t-posts?

thats what i call staking i think. The challenge i have with it, is it supports the central stalk only, and tomatoes tend to get out of control quick and get 3-6 equal sized offshoots that are heavy, and will either tear off the central stalk if unsupported, or need to be tied up as well.

It will support whatever you tie to the multiple wires run through the t-bars, not just one stalk.

also, you're making me rethink my orientation of trellis. Perhaps its better to put it longways, 4 feet tall, 8 feet wide. Concern would be that the tomatoes grow taller than that, and flop over the top of it.

yeah, peppers dont
It should be better than all the wooden stakes we tried this year. Too many of them snapped at the base because the plants are too big and heavy.

We'll use those for peppers and ground vine corraling next year.
thatll work, peppers dont need much, we've just got 3/8th inch bamboo stakes on ours.

Dom, is it faster at the end of the year to clear the wires on that, or is there a biodegradable twine that will hold through one season that you could cut with scissors & leave on the ground to compost with the dying plants?

big mesh, easy to clear.

Even the small mesh 2in x 2in fishing nets i have as cuke trellises arent bad to clear. Kill the plants, wait 2 weeks, vines just disintegrate off em.

• Gravy
Reactions: Amstel
Built those tomato trellises today, will see how they work
6e0205dfe0aa08a9316e329140409734.jpg

• Gravy
Reactions: Valve1138