Food Springtime Thread 2016

Nah, it's been dead at the top for a while. The other mango has been inside the lanai for pretty much all it's life, my big one was outside for a while and wasn't looking 100% so I brought it in and put it right next to the other one hoping that it would benefit from the same spot. It looked like it was recovering nicely, but now...
Cats like to pee in potted plants. That's some strong shit. :)

The cats don't go outside/next to the pool, and that pot is over three feet tall

Sure they don't, and 3 feet is more than enough to stop a cat. :)

Honestly, I don't know what's up with your mango, but I would smell the dirt.

My SO gets a lot of potted plants that look sickly from people and all they need is some packing of the dirt. Too loose, air getting to the roots.

How about repotting it with fresh soil? Or maybe just some plant food.
I might try to do the former, but I think I need to wait till winter-ish?
I have been trying to feed it mango/citrus fertilizer fairly regularly as long as I've had it, I think I've been keeping a good schedule with it.

I try to make sure my pots have proper drainage so they don't rot the roots but with this pot I'm not sure if I was able to nail that, that's about the only thing I can think might be happening?

Got out this morning before the sun hit the farm.

Picked two crates of big tomatoes, half a crate of cherries, and some banana peppers.

I think we have 1 1/2 more big picks for tomatoes out there this season.

Then a load of sweet peppers hopefully if they stop blistering before they change color, I'd like them to not all be
green.

And melons. lot's more canteloupes and honeydew, and maybe even some watermelon.

• Gravy
Reactions: Ledboots
Got the electric fence back up and running to full potential yesterday, fixed all the rabbit/groundhog mesh. Garden is fully protected again, which is good since zuchinni beans and cukes are taking off.

I think we're gonna skip a second planting this year and concentrate on murdering the crab grass so we can till in the spring, and amend in a bunch of peat moss to fluff things up.

man that stuff sucks.

Im so glad to not have to deal with weeding this year.

man that stuff sucks.

Im so glad to not have to deal with weeding this year.

There isn't any under the melons, it's just everywhere else.

The tomato plants will get cot down in place along with all the other plants, then I'll find sufficient hay to dump on top of everything so we can till in the spring.

Then we'll do black mulch plastic rows like farms do, and drop hay and other shit in between the plastic to keep those weeds down.

yep yep. alternatively, just make your aisles the right width to turn over with a plough, cultivator, tiller and drive the tractor down em once a month to kill off the weeds.

yep yep. alternatively, just make your aisles the right width to turn over with a plough, cultivator, tiller and drive the tractor down em once a month to kill off the weeds.
This is what my dad does, then he just has to weed around the plants.

gearing up to build some tomato trellises today after work. Ive not been happy with any of my previous attempts at tomato support, they get out of control too quick with staking, and the vines are too heavy to just be held up by the central stem. Cages are ok, but generally too small mesh, and kinda meh for support.

It seems most tomatoes would naturally be most happy just weaving their way along the ground, but that makes for difficult management. So im building these. 8 feet tall by 4 feet wide

slight angle, will weave the tomato branches through the mesh as they grow, pick from the back and front sides like i do with my cuke trellis. no pruning or tying.