Ontopic Sports thread

I had an odd request from one of my customers. He wants me to replicate some vintage cricket/curling bats from some photos. I've never made these before - should be an interesting weekend.

can you
I had an odd request from one of my customers. He wants me to replicate some vintage cricket/curling bats from some photos. I've never made these before - should be an interesting weekend.

should be similar to making an oar i would thing. Which is not fully a lathe job. In fact, i debate (unless you had a 4 foot open ended lathe) that its a lathe job at all, as you want those to be one piece as best possible)

Then again, im not a turner, and turners do some impressive stuff that i wouldnt even think of.

• Gravy
Reactions: Jehannum
Yeah - not much lathe work. Some of them are not even symmetrical, so will be all hand shaping. For the symmetrical one, I'll use the lathe to round the handle - that's it.

That's part of what makes this interesting. Sometimes I get the actual product so I can see exactly what it is, sometimes I am just working from a photo. I had a guy last year found a photo of a townball bat that sold at auction for something like $70,000 (really ornate handle) - he wanted me to try to make something similar. I had an idea as to the dimensions, so made some calculations, and made one up - now it's actually a model I sell. Kind of cool.

• Gravy
Reactions: Domon
Ugh F1 fan friends bugging me, told them to fuck right off, fkall boring waste of fuel and time this F1.