Sports Enhancements

b_sinning

Erect Member
Nov 22, 2004
Savannah, GA
Marklar
₥10
I watched an interesting documentary yesterday named Bigger Stronger Faster. It was all about steroids in the Directors life and in his personal family. It was honest and touched on both sides of the arguement. He also talked about how growing up in the 80s you were pretty much raised on muscles/fitness is an easy way to success and how most of the action stars were huge muscled guys that kicked ass.

He's touched on the other forms of Sports Enhancements such as Tiger Woods laser eye correction to 20/15 vision, professional musicians use of anxiety reducing drugs, or athletes' dependence on cortisone shots, which are a legal steroid.

What do you guys think about athletes getting/doing enhancements?

I think steroids are often blown out of proportion and can be beneficial to some people suffering diseases or even aging in older men, both mentioned in the film. As with any drug there are negative effects but they are no more than you get from over doing almost any other drug or even vitamins.

I've never done steroids but regularly take over the counter supplements and vitamins.

Steroids and sports should never be mixed, but I'll admit I'm a purist. I think steroid use skews the nature of competition, and the amount of steroids pro atheletes would take would pretty much shorten their lifespan tremendously.

I get cortisone injections into my shoulder now and again from a doctor I work with.

I don't see a big deal really, I suppose it's cheating when it's for running etc but if you're doing it for weight lifting etc (which is just boring and stupid imo) then good luck to you and I hope your balls shrink.

Cortisone is not the same as anabolic steroids. The steroids used in general medicine don't have the same muscle building capacity that anabols do.

The thing that anabolic steroids do for athletes is not just give big muscles, but aid in the recovery so that they can train more. No rest days needed. That gives them an enormous advantage over those who do not use or have access to steroids. Competition is about putting my best against your best. Anything that skews that fundimental idea is cheating, plain and simple

I agree that if it's a professional sports team then they are cheating and should be punished.

Most steroid users are not professional athletes but the regular gym rat that may not even play a sport.

I don't view that as an enhancement, but a repair. It doesn't give superior vision, but just fixes the vision so it's back on par.

But there has been athletes that has had their vision improved from what we all consider normal to better than par.

Is that not similar to corking a bat or greasing up in a mma fight?

I think "professional" athletes should take whatever the heck they want to take.

And if several of them randomly explode during play, that might actually start to justify the obscene salaries for playing a game.

Olympic athletes are a different story.

Olympic athletes should be absolutely pure. Drug and enhancement free.

But there has been athletes that has had their vision improved from what we all consider normal to better than par.

Is that not similar to corking a bat or greasing up in a mma fight?

it's not like they get cyborg arms or anything

I say the Olympics should have a special "unrestricted" class.

It wouldn't really work because a lot of these performance enhancing drugs are not legal without a valid prescription.

but it would fun as hell to watch

I think "professional" athletes should take whatever the heck they want to take.

And if several of them randomly explode during play, that might actually start to justify the obscene salaries for playing a game.

Olympic athletes are a different story.

jim rome commented on this very thing, but said let em ALL take whatever they want.. wanted to see someone run a 4 second 100 and their heart explode at the finish line.

high jump 14 feet, etc.

I say the Olympics should have a special "unrestricted" class.

[ame="http://www.hulu.com/watch/4090/saturday-night-live-weekend-update-all-drug-olympics"]Hulu - Saturday Night Live: Weekend Update: All Drug Olympics@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/SX1NU3DYknwC6EuBZxdH_Q@@AMEPARAM@@SX1NU3DYknwC6EuBZxdH_Q[/ame]