Sport Sedans

CletusJones said:
Ahh. At this point I'm just looking anyway so it doesn't really matter. I'm sure I'll buy a CPO when the time comes though. The WRX seems to be the best bang for the buck so far with a 2004 being available for under $20k.

This is a good idea. I drove an 05 once, and it was the best car I've ever driven in my life, bar none. (Including the A4, which I don't think handles too much differently than the S4, power aside.)

CletusJones said:
I've always been impressed at how well BMW vehicles handle the road from the factory. My dad's Z3 is an absolute joy to drive once you get over 100mph, as is my friend's 325 sedan. The 325 isn't as nice as the Z3, but it's still very respectable on the highway. I have to admit though, if I were to get a 3-series it would probably be a coupe even though I'm in the market for a sedan.

I keep hearing good things about older volvos, I may have to look more into them.
I liked the 540 a little better because it was slightly quicker, but definitely not any more smooth. And the limiter is set lower on those :fly:

I do LOVE those uber-adjustable BMW sport seats though :drool:

yoda634 said:
This is a good idea. I drove an 05 once, and it was the best car I've ever driven in my life, bar none. (Including the A4, which I don't think handles too much differently than the S4, power aside.)
The S4 has a tighter suspension setup, but nothing you couldn't do to a regular A4.

WRX is a great car too, and you won't feel as bad about abusing it :fly:

ChikkenNoodul said:
I liked the 540 a little better because it was slightly quicker, but definitely not any more smooth. And the limiter is set lower on those :fly:

I do LOVE those uber-adjustable BMW sport seats though :drool:
You mention speed limiters like they actually matter. I'm sure it'd be removed within 30 days of having the vehicle, regardless of what I purchase. There's always so much potential with new engine management. I'd have everything all researched and probably even have everything possible purchased before I even got the car. I had about $3000 worth of parts when I got my truck, when I brought it in for brakes at 500 miles they were impressed that I'd already lowered it and modified it in other ways.

Yeah, BMW does make a comfy seat. :drool:

ChikkenNoodul said:
The S4 has a tighter suspension setup, but nothing you couldn't do to a regular A4.

WRX is a great car too, and you won't feel as bad about abusing it :fly:
Why would you feel bad about abusing an S4/A4? I'm sure my driving style and "hobbies" constitute abuse of a vehicle, but as long as you keep everything in ship shape "abuse" tends to be more of a grey area anyway...

ChikkenNoodul said:
Because Audi electronics are touchy and expensive

electronics aren't what fail when you drive a car like you stole it :p

that's more like differential, 1/2 shafts, tranny, etc...

why_ask_why said:
electronics aren't what fail when you drive a car like you stole it :p

that's more like differential, 1/2 shafts, tranny, etc...
That's another thing I hadn't thought about with an AWD vehicle... How durable are the transfer cases and stuff in them? I've heard that some of these vehicles aren't the best with transfer cases or transmissions...

CletusJones said:
That's another thing I hadn't thought about with an AWD vehicle... How durable are the transfer cases and stuff in them? I've heard that some of these vehicles aren't the best with transfer cases or transmissions...
I've heard there are issues with putting too much power through the 5-Speed on the WRX, but I'm not sure how much is too much.

An STI 6-speed swap would take care of that though ;)

I know the Audi's should be easily good for 300+ HP

CletusJones said:
Just because it's a sedan doesn't mean it can't be fun too. The vehicles I've got in mind are definately fun. I'm looking at sedans because I'm tired of driving essentially a 2-seat vehicle. Plus, I can get something fairly quick and still be able to have a reasonable insurance payment.

I'll buy the "toy" later on after I buy a house, for now I need something more practical.

Than don't buy the WRX, while it's fun to drive and reliable, there really is no back seat. It's too small for anyone bigger than the average 5 year old to sit back there (car seats do not fit at all, just for reference).

Edit: I vote for the S4. :drool:

CletusJones said:
Why would you feel bad about abusing an S4/A4? I'm sure my driving style and "hobbies" constitute abuse of a vehicle, but as long as you keep everything in ship shape "abuse" tends to be more of a grey area anyway...

He's got a point.

It's nothing specific, it's just that behind the wheel of an A4, you don't feel lke you're driving a sports car. You feel like it's a luxury sedan that just happens to be able to be driven awesomely.

The WRX, though, you feel like you're in a sports car, hell, a go-kart. When in the driver's seat, you know that you're there to drive the shit out of it.