Sport Sedans

CletusJones

CUCKGBLR
Oct 15, 2004
Marklar
₥3,691
With the 90k mile mark rapidly approaching on my truck I think it may be time to begin looking at purchasing a new(er) vehicle. I'm thinking about getting a sedan this time but want something sporty and it has to be either RWD or AWD, I will *not* drive a FWD vehicle. Not to mention that I'd prefer a manual transmission in these vehicles, or at least a tiptronic of some sort if no manual is available.

I'd like to keep it right around $20k for a CPO vehicle, so here's what's in the running:

- Lexus IS300
- BMW 325i & 330i
- Subaru Impreza WRX

I'm looking for something I can drive for about 5 years and have it be reliable. I've been able to find plenty of these vehicles in my area (chicagoland) with under 25k miles on them for about what I'd like to pay. Any more ideas?

I'm kind of leaning towards the BMW as they're basically maintenence free for the first 36k miles so there's a 99% chance it'll be well maintained. The Lexus or Subaru, not so much. However I'm not so sure what "Certified Pre-Owned" really means so perhaps someone could shed some light on that for me?

why_ask_why said:
check autotrader dude...you should be able to find something
They seem to all have substantial mileage in the $20k pricerange. It does look nice though, I'd definately drive one. They're reliable?

CletusJones said:
They seem to all have substantial mileage in the $20k pricerange. It does look nice though, I'd definately drive one. They're reliable?

afaik, there was an early turbo problem that was fixed in later years...can't remember offhand what the cutoff year on that problem is though...other than that, pretty sound cars

why_ask_why said:
afaik, there was an early turbo problem that was fixed in later years...can't remember offhand what the cutoff year on that problem is though...other than that, pretty sound cars
Hmmm... I may have to look into this, is there a large online community for them?

CletusJones said:
Hmmm... I may have to look into this, is there a large online community for them?

there are around 4-5 guys on automay that have them...if it were up you could get some info quick :mad:

why_ask_why said:
there are around 4-5 guys on automay that have them...if it were up you could get some info quick :mad:
Yeah, I posted this here because automay was down. :( I figured those assflutes would have been able to sprinkle the thread with some useful information before it turned into a flamewar. Is automay coming back?

edit: I know very little about cars, so this was interesting to me. Others might say "Well no shit, you idiot."

Interesting info from a tire replacement article:

Most AWD are actually only sophisticated 2WD cars - they have "automatic AWD". They are the ones that power only one axle most of the time (thats why those tires wear out faster) and only kick in the other axle when slippage on the main axle occurs. It is the cheaper solution for people who want the added stability of AWD to feel safer. Volvo is a good example.
Drawback of that cheaper solution is (engineers often call it "hang on" solution because it has been hung onto an existing 2WD platform) that the consumer is possibly hit with the high cost of tire replacement. This is mainly true for automatic AWD systems that use a viscous coupling to activate the other axle.
However, some of the automatic AWD systems are more robust than others and a tire size difference does not immediately lead to an expensive repair. The Jeep Grand Cherokee (WJ) is one of them. The more robust system employ Haldex couplings or Gerodisc couplings to activate the other axle.

ChikkenNoodul said:
No-one who's never driven one would even bother to look at one

Amazing how many RWD 'sports' sedans I creamed on winding backroads with my WWD Saab......
Please elaborate...

Sarcasmo said:
Interesting info from a tire replacement article:
tire wear/replacement is unimportant to me. I end up buying at least one full set of tires every 12 months anyway.