Spoiled/Spoilt Learned/Learnt

ZRH

(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
<3
Marklar
₥21,152
Now people tell me the -t is wrong in all cases which I strongly object to. It was my brother so I punched him. Violence may be wrong but my grammar is nearly flawless.

It is the opinion of myself (and other people) that the explanation that -t is more common in British English than American/Canadian is a huge over simplification.

I think that the past tense would be -ed and the past participle would be -t.

Example: spoiled is to did as spoilt is to done

Participles are what describes a noun as being a participant in the action of the verb if anyone forgot.

Most people just use the -ed form though since you rarely need the distinction between the participle and the past tense in English constructions. It is also my opinion that some of the vast simplification of English grammar makes it a bit dull and vague. To be exact you have to be wordy.

I bugs the shit out of me when I'd see even emails in a professional setting with execs misusing terms like "whole/hole" "one FAIL swoop" and so on.

lol@one FAIL swoop coming from a VP's email.

I always thought spoilt was wrong too. Thanks for setting me straight. While I was reading up I became very annoyed with dictionaries. Why do they do this? They wrote the word 'spoil', then right next to it in parenthesis they wrote the word 'spoil' again.
They did it again on the next line with the word 'spoilt'!!! Why are they wasting the ink? What is the point??? I know it has something to do with pronunciation, but only geeks really know how to read those keys anyway and it's not like spoil is that difficult to pronounce anyway, they could just write nothing for pronunciation and let pronunciation geeks figure out that if there is nothing there they should just pronounce it the way it looks!!! I dunno, I'm just annoyed with the dictionary this morning.

spoil (spoil) Pronunciation Key
v. spoiled or spoilt (spoilt), spoil·ing, spoils

v. tr.

Dictionaries vary in quality, a lot. Since there is no authority of the english language they are whatever the publisher feels like puttting in them and most american ones are varying upgrades of webster's 1840? edition.

The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language is what I use as a desk dictionary, though it misses some more archaic words. I despise Webster's 3rd. The OED if you can get access to the unabridged version is of course the most complete.

Fowler's grammar tends to be more useful than Stunk and White, no idea why. It just seems more complete.

Now people tell me the -t is wrong in all cases which I strongly object to. It was my brother so I punched him. Violence may be wrong but my grammar is nearly flawless.

It is the opinion of myself (and other people) that the explanation that -t is more common in British English than American/Canadian is a huge over simplification.

I think that the past tense would be -ed and the past participle would be -t.

Example: spoiled is to did as spoilt is to done

Participles are what describes a noun as being a participant in the action of the verb if anyone forgot.

Most people just use the -ed form though since you rarely need the distinction between the participle and the past tense in English constructions. It is also my opinion that some of the vast simplification of English grammar makes it a bit dull and vague. To be exact you have to be wordy.

I had a professor tell me that amongst is not a word. Yet it is in the dictionary. I guess it's up to opinion.

I bugs the shit out of me when I'd see even emails in a professional setting with execs misusing terms like "whole/hole" "one FAIL swoop" and so on.

lol@one FAIL swoop coming from a VP's email.

This and it drives me crazy when people do not use paragraphs. I don't want to read a foot long block of text. Break that shit up yo, did you go to school in a barn?

This and it drives me crazy when people do not use paragraphs. I don't want to read a foot long block of text. Break that shit up yo, did you go to school in a barn?

Yeah I dont even bother to read those, I just reply with LOL WALL OF TEXT.

I also hate misplaced modifiers.

As president of the US, the prisoner must be well groomed

So the prisoner is the president o_O

Those are just irregular nouns. Though 'waters' is a MASS plural noun.

Regrettably Regretfully