Speaking of Vista coming out.

If I got back to the *nix camp, I'll probably load up FreeBSD again. And, the sad truth is that is a fair bit of commitment. Especially when I really don't like touching the computer after work.

More than just conversions before doing stuff, you usually have to juggle many more data structures in order to do stuff. The flipside is there is now much more that you can do. So, I am not trying to turn this into an argument of how programming sucks. (Though, I do sorta wish when programming stuff people would only worry about what is actually going to happen, and not what "could" happen.)
Developers have also gotten lazy too, since the hardware is orders of magnitude faster they don't feel they "need" to optimize.

Though I stopped programming about the time that MFC was introduced, seemed to make everything overtly complex.

I don't know if programmers have gotten lazy, or if standard ways of doing things have just exploded things.

As an example, you rarely if ever design a binary communications system anymore. Even if it is all proprietary and in-house. Instead, you design an xml system for sending messages. So, what would have been a single float, is now about 10 characters over the wire. More than that, instead of just finding the bytes and sending them through, they now have to be found, parsed, and marshalled into a float.

So, I removed a ton of shite and installed foobar. So far I like it a lot. It feels almost funny to have to control so much about where my music files get placed, though.

I'm also messing around with the user javascript stuff of Opera. It is evidently like GreaseMonkey in FireFox. (Something else I don't use.) If I remain this ambitious for a time, I think I'll try and recreate a few of SongBird's cooler features. I don't think it will be too hard.

Speaking of Songbird, I saw they pimped a site called elbo.ws. Anyone else visited that?

Last edited:
Sadly... I got that when I was a TA for programming in college. So many people have very little clue how the computer is actually doing what it does.

I'll never forget having to explain what a linked list is. And lately, I am wishing I was back so I could stress heavily why queues are a good thing.