Speakers like razorblades. will there ever be enough?

Ryokurin

Erect Member
Oct 15, 2004
www.ryokurin.net
Marklar
₥0
http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=10528&pg=1 its a slashdot article so the page is slashdotted at the moment. basically its an enhanced AC-3 format that is 13.1

I remember 6 years ago when they said 5.1 was enough, then it was 6, then 8. but 13? WTF? is next year going to be 22? This has to be for the ubergeek who is living alone as I imagine its hard enough to get your wife to put up with 8 speakers (that aren't tiny ass bose speakers) 13 is going to be virtually impossible to get permission to do.

I think theac or someone or I read an article or something mentioned the 13 speaker dolby spec. Thats a lot of Bose.

what-what.jpg

Ryokurin said:
http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/Index.cfm?ArticleID=10528&pg=1 its a slashdot article so the page is slashdotted at the moment. basically its an enhanced AC-3 format that is 13.1

I remember 6 years ago when they said 5.1 was enough, then it was 6, then 8. but 13? WTF? is next year going to be 22? This has to be for the ubergeek who is living alone as I imagine its hard enough to get your wife to put up with 8 speakers (that aren't tiny ass bose speakers) 13 is going to be virtually impossible to get permission to do.
No theater uses 13 channels of sound. There's only 5 or sometimes 7. The extra speakers end up playing the same program.
Code:
13 Speakers in your typical theater:

1 ------- 2 -------- 3
1                    3
-                    -
4                    5
-                    -
4                    5
-                    -
4                    5
-----4---------5-----
Positioning in the X-Y plane with more than 7 channels is useless unless its a very large room. However, if they started mounting speakers in the Z-plane, that would make some interesting improvement.

Point blank : you won't see this at home any time soon.

Ryokurin said:

There is no 8 channel system. Perhaps you're confusing the it with 7.1 which is about the end of the line for consumer rooms.

theacoustician said:
There is no 8 channel system. Perhaps you're confusing the it with 7.1 which is about the end of the line for consumer rooms.

I always heard a bickering on if it was 7 or 8, not to meantion all the soundcards that claim that they provide 8.1 sound and so forth. But anyways like I said before you completely pwn me when it comes to sound and I dont know jack about it anyways. :)

The real matter is here that consumers can't even lay out a 5.1 system properly 95% of the time. There is no way that they would handle 13.1. This will only be used in pro applications and custom built rooms.

I think I have asked this many times, but I want to future proof a home theater wiring scheme, should I wire it for 7.1. If so, that means a center, two front surrounds, two side surrounds, and two rear surrounds?

theacoustician said:
The real matter is here that consumers can't even lay out a 5.1 system properly 95% of the time. There is no way that they would handle 13.1. This will only be used in pro applications and custom built rooms.

So how many speakers does TAC actually have in his own home?

SpyderGST said:
So how many speakers does TAC actually have in his own home?

My money ends up in home improvement projects.

I have a 5.1 system at my desk at work and a 7.1 in my demo room at work.

SpyderGST said:
Consider me surprised... :eek:

Not really. Think of how many plumbers who's house has crap plumbing, or how theres a fair amount of computer techs with crap pcs at home. They either cant afford to keep up or simply dont want to do their work at home.

Ryokurin said:
Not really. Think of how many plumbers who's house has crap plumbing, or how theres a fair amount of computer techs with crap pcs at home. They either cant afford to keep up or simply dont want to do their work at home.

theac is just waiting and biding his time till he can afford the best of the best of the best of the best. Of the best. Only better.

smileynev said:
I think I have asked this many times, but I want to future proof a home theater wiring scheme, should I wire it for 7.1. If so, that means a center, two front surrounds, two side surrounds, and two rear surrounds?

I always thought 7.1 was center, L & R front, L & R side, L & R surround then sub.....

edit- dammit, nevermind :tard:

BigDov said:
I always thought 7.1 was center, L & R front, L & R side, L & R surround then sub.....

edit- dammit, nevermind :tard:

Ummm, yeah, so...how bout them cornhuskers.

Opinion question only here- would you think that a home setup of 6.1 would be better than 7.1 or vice versa? I've always wanted to upgrade from 5.1 but can't ever decide on which way to go from there......