Spankings return

DoubleJ

Half-staff Member
Oct 30, 2008
Shelton, WA
Marklar
₥0
So, there has been a very noticable decline in respect in my house fromn our kids for the last couple of years. The wife and I discussed it today and, the only thing that's really different is that the spankings have stopped. So, they are now on a comback, starting today when I get home. My 8 year old got into trouble for spitting on the bus. He was given the punishment of writing "I will not spit unless I am brushing my teeth" 50 times before I get home (about 2 hours). He has done nothing but yell at my wife and me when I called the house about how he doesn't get any respect and he's not going to write any stupid sentences. Hell is going to be unleashed when I get home. :mad:

Yeah this happened with my younger brothers.

Now one of them is 17 and expects to be driven to work everyday and picked up and do NOTHING at home. He slapped my mother because she didnt have dinner prepared for him a few months ago.

Arguing with children is pointless, as is negotiation.

Not to be a dick, but spanking will only enforce your children to handle problems with aggression. Now I understand if you spanked once, and then stopped, the aggression lesson is still there, and probably wont go away without some serious help.

Not to be a dick, but spanking will only enforce your children to handle problems with aggression. Now I understand if you spanked once, and then stopped, the aggression lesson is still there, and probably wont go away without some serious help.

That's not true, I was spanked growing up and I'm just fine and don't solve my problems with aggression.

I was spanked growing up too. I think it is how you handle the situation. My dad doled out spankings with a calm stern demeanor... never was it aggressive or a snap reaction. Which I think can teach the kids bad behavior.

More like, "Ohhh so you emptied everything in the pantry into the sandbox outside? The consequences for that is 3 spankings." Very serious and stern like.

...and then I would get it and hate it. The belt came out sometimes when I was unruly.

As for spanking pets... that is a huge no-no.

I was spanked growing up too. I think it is how you handle the situation. My dad doled out spankings with a calm stern demeanor... never was it aggressive or a snap reaction. Which I think can teach the kids bad behavior.

More like, "Ohhh so you emptied everything in the pantry into the sandbox outside? The consequences for that is 3 spankings." Very serious and stern like.

Indeed.

Thats because parents now a days are pussies. They somehow think their children have the logic of an adult. Pain is simple enough for them to understand. No offense tho :p

Parents try to be this magical/mythical parent when it comes to their kids. If they can raise them to be good people without spanking them it is an achievement they can rub in other parents faces.

Disclaimer: I'm not a parent, but this is a web forum so I am going to make up silly opinions. :fly:

Parents try to be this magical/mythical parent when it comes to their kids. If they can raise them to be good people without spanking them it is an achievement they can rub in other parents faces.

Disclaimer: I'm not a parent, but this is a web forum so I am going to make up silly opinions. :fly:
No this is how my cousin is. She has two "accessories" because parenting was in fashion at the time in universities (she's a professor). She has "discussions" with her kids, and tries to "reason' with them. It usually ends up the kids do whatever they want and she totally forgets about their existence.

This is even more fun because she's embroiled in a bitter custody dispute that she barely even tries at and the kids prefer her to their father to the point they went on a hunger strike last time they visited him.

I don't spank often, but sometimes the situation deserves it. My middle child would not listen to us about not running in the road, a nice firm swat on the butt was the only thing that got his attention and he's learning and doing better about not going in the road without us.

I don't spank often, but sometimes the situation deserves it. My middle child would not listen to us about not running in the road, a nice firm swat on the butt was the only thing that got his attention and he's learning and doing better about not going in the road without us.

:clap:

I agree that it shouldn't be done often, but they should know the offer is on the table.

/flys parenting skillz

We've started throwing toys in the garbage when the boy doesn't listen. Pretty effective so far.

i was spanked as a child. i don't have aggression problems.

i have spanked my kids. it's very controlled and a known thing. i don't just hit them when i feel like they need to be. they get a warning, a chance to stop/correct the behavior, and then a spanking. i rarely have to use it anymore. the other thing i have tied into spanking is counting to three. if i even say 1, i rarely make it to 2 and never make it to 3. consistency is a crucial key to parenting. my kids know when i'm not playing. even the 2-year-old has caught on.

when i was spanked, it wasn't the actual slap that i remember. they never left more than a red mark that disappeared within the hour. it was the shame of doing something wrong. it was the disappointment i had because i had disappointed my parents. and it was the HELL of having to wait until DAD got home. he NEVER forgot either. and he NEVER did it as soon as he walked in the door. sometimes it'd be right before bed. THAT'S A LONG FUCKING DAY TO WAIT FOR A SPANKING. :rant:

Knowing when to use corporal punishment is the key to useing it effectively. It's more the shame than the pain, and it learns a valuable lesson to a mind that really doesn't comprehend the big picture, but comprehends a swat on the ass in full effect.

todays world of Doctor Spock if full of pussies. Spanking a young child effectively always has been, and always will be, the best way to establish rules and respect in a young mind.

It's been done for thousands of years. Now, in the past 50, we think we know better.

no. we don't.

We've started throwing toys in the garbage when the boy doesn't listen. Pretty effective so far.

As soon as they have a concept of money, and that it's your money, idk. My dad used to do this and I remember telling him when I was like 6 that he was throwing his toys out.

i was spanked as a child. i don't have aggression problems.

i have spanked my kids. it's very controlled and a known thing. i don't just hit them when i feel like they need to be. they get a warning, a chance to stop/correct the behavior, and then a spanking. i rarely have to use it anymore. the other thing i have tied into spanking is counting to three. if i even say 1, i rarely make it to 2 and never make it to 3. consistency is a crucial key to parenting. my kids know when i'm not playing. even the 2-year-old has caught on.

when i was spanked, it wasn't the actual slap that i remember. they never left more than a red mark that disappeared within the hour. it was the shame of doing something wrong. it was the disappointment i had because i had disappointed my parents. and it was the HELL of having to wait until DAD got home. he NEVER forgot either. and he NEVER did it as soon as he walked in the door. sometimes it'd be right before bed. THAT'S A LONG FUCKING DAY TO WAIT FOR A SPANKING. :rant:
Ooh yeah. My mom was a stay at home mom until I can't remember middle school perhaps? She would do that "wait until your dad gets home."

Report card days were the worst.