Advice Southern Living Journal

NukesII

Giant Member
Aug 29, 2021
Somewhere over the rainbow
Marklar
₥3,725
"A Jew and a Filipina move to the South..."
We've been here 7 years. Sometimes I agree with Neil Young. Sometimes I side with Ronnie VanZandt.
Last night we went to what was my new favorite steakhouse. Waitress was all smiles until I opened my mouth. I have a difficult time masking a clearly Yankee accent.
Most people around here have accepted the Northern invasion.
Some of these people worship at the altar of Jefferson Davis.
The waitress stopped speaking to.us for about half an hour. She chatted up all the adjacent southern families tho.
Sometimes I love this region. The natural beauty rivals New England, from the Blueridge mountains to the Outer banks.

Then you'll see a confederate flag 50 feet wide a couple hours from the city. Unrivaled poverty. High-school grads with 3rd grade reading skills. Whole towns in SC made up of trailers and quonset huts, even the police station. Boggles rhe mind.
I often encourage my kids to seek brighter pastures for their own families when the time comes.
My sis is a professor at Auburn U. Outside of Auburn they have similar disparities.
Cliffs: these people should try being less ignorant.

We've been here 7 years. Sometimes I agree with Neil Young. Sometimes I side with Ronnie VanZandt.
Last night we went to what was my new favorite steakhouse. Waitress was all smiles until I opened my mouth. I have a difficult time masking a clearly Yankee accent.
The waitress stopped speaking to.us for about half an hour. She chatted up all the adjacent southern families tho.
Sometimes I love this region. The natural beauty rivals New England, from the Blueridge mountains to the Outer banks.

Then you'll see a confederate flag 50 feet wide a couple hours from the city. Unrivaled poverty. High-school grads with 3rd grade reading skills. Whole towns in SC made up of trailers and quonset huts, even the police station. Boggles rhe mind.
I often encourage my kids to seek brighter pastures for their own families when the time comes.
My sis is a professor at Auburn U. Outside of Auburn they have similar disparities.
Yeap!!

Their local, state and federal governments should enable them and offer opportunities to help them grow and be better

Their local, state and federal governments should enable them and offer opportunities to help them grow and be better
Their federal government coup failed. What they view as OUR federal government failed to perform the so-called "reconstruction " until the WPA was forced to rebuild local southern infrastructure (1870 to1930s).
Was the South wrong for trying to hold on to slavery? Yup.
Was the rebonded Union wrong for such deep and prolonged punishment? Absolutely.

Yay to FDR for something positive and tangible tho.

What's needed is a deep down cultural change. That's not something government can do. In order to "stick" it has to come from the people, a little at a time, in this case likely over generations.
Sure you can force shit. History shows that doesn't always work out so well. About as good as things like spreading democracy or nation building.
In order for it to really work the people have to want to. That takes time. The sort of time you measure in generations.
Push too hard and all you're gonna get it pushback.

What's needed is a deep down cultural change. That's not something government can do. In order to "stick" it has to come from the people, a little at a time, in this case likely over generations.
Sure you can force shit. History shows that doesn't always work out so well. About as good as things like spreading democracy or nation building.
In order for it to really work the people have to want to. That takes time. The sort of time you measure in generations.
Push too hard and all you're gonna get it pushback.
Guess it's gonna be a long haul. At least half of the south would rather die than change.

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Guess it's gonna be a long haul. At least half of the south would rather die than change.
Correct. The redneck gospel states that they are still the CSA and therefore an occupied nation. There's a tiny contingent whom will absolutely refuse dialogue with any accent north of Maryland (which I believe the Mason Dixon runs right through).

• Gravy
Reactions: HipHugHer
Correct. The redneck gospel states that they are still the CSA and therefore an occupied nation. There's a tiny contingent whom will absolutely refuse dialogue with any accent north of Maryland (which I believe the Mason Dixon runs right through).
yeah for a time I lived & worked in Parole, Maryland, a subset of Annapolis, which was named "because it was a parole camp, where Union and Confederate prisoners of war were brought for mutual exchange and eventual return to their respective homes."

I just tell them we didn't have anything to do with that war we were still busy killing Indians.

• Barf
Reactions: NukesII