Sort of a Promotion

b_sinning

Erect Member
Nov 22, 2004
Savannah, GA
Marklar
₥10
My bosses just dragged me into their offices to let me know one of our guys is leaving later this year and pretty much offer me his job if I wanted it. I do a huge amount of server admin now and they wanted to know if I wanted to get into structured cabling/managing our wiring crews and running all the switches, routers, etc. I figure I've done a few years on this side of networking and I can only get one more promotion over here before I'm stuck until someone leaves or dies so I might as well learn the other side of the field.

It would be six months until a true title change/promotion and a lot of work trainng a few guys to replace me on this side. Which is annoying. One good thing is we're replacing most of our wiring guys becuase they found different jobs or got promoted so I can hire all new lackeys loyal to me. It's going to be an interesting rest of the year.

How's work going for you guys?

So you took it? Congrats, that's a good job. I used to do something similar for Worldcom. If anything it will look great on your resume in the future. Guys who know both sides can be pretty valuable for their flexibility.

Congratulations all!!!

My job description of "IT Dude" was just expanded to include being the "Adobe After Effects Dude". :) It's pretty sweet! That program is amazing, and I have one of the best After Effects Wizards (my boss's brother) burning to get his A.E. knowlege into my head!!