Someone is going to die today

water

Flaccid Member
Oct 29, 2004
AZ
Marklar
₥272
So I came in this morning to see "Hard drive erase complete" printed in DOS text on my monitor. "Ha ha, great joke guys." I think as I reboot, immediately horrified to see that there is a floppy in the drive. No joke, my hard drive was in fact erased. I then come to find out that my "boss" was making some drive erase discs on my PC Friday night after I left (without telling me of course) and neglected to remove the last one. I then picked up a forced automatic update/reboot from our patch server which restarted my machine, started the drive erase process, and blanked my hard drive.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Oh well, I was planning on installing XP instead of 2000 at some point in the next couple of weeks anyway. Bastards.

Why do you have a boot disk that automatically starts a hard drive erase? And "find" GetDataBack to get all your stuff back (unless you guys do secure deletes).

They are the disks they use to completely wipe everything clean off their computers prior to sending them back to Dell (they lease the computers), to ensure that NO information is accessible off of the computers.

I'm sorry hon, that sucks, a lot.

kiwi said:
They are the disks they use to completely wipe everything clean off their computers prior to sending them back to Dell (they lease the computers), to ensure that NO information is accessible off of the computers.

Maybe autorunning that isn't a good idea...

kiwi said:

If he can re-install, the data is still there. (Low level format batch disk?)

Coqui said:

I don't know exactly but if I remember correctly it wipes everything clean, as if the drive was the way it was when you bought it.

b_sinning said:
Did you lose a lot of data?

Nothing that can't be recovered fairly easily. Anything of value was stored to the network, so all I lost were my favorites (which are a minor annoyance) and some odds and ends I had on the desktop.

Coqui said:

Unpossible with this particular program. It goes through and writes zeroes across the whole drive.

ChikkenNoodul said:
A DoD 3-pass overwrite?

Yes, exactly that.

ChikkenNoodul said:
The new standard is, I still see lot's of people using the old standard of 3 now referred to as 'DoD Short' by some programs.

We've got 3's, some of the people in our business have 7's.