Some new PS3 info

I would even banner link to it from my page, so people would be like "Bub must kick ass if Damon Kicks Ass, AMIRITE???"

some dude named teh scud responded:

theacoustician said:
First, if everything is so fine and dandy, why did he not mention that the PS3 has not even started manufacturing yet. That isn't rumor, that's straight out of the mouth of Kaz "Riiiiiiiiiiiiiidge Racer" Hirai. I want to know how the fuck they're going to manufacture 2M of the most complicated console of all time in 2 months.

xbox 360 didnt' start till september 05 and components for the PS3 were being prepared in July.

theacoustician said:
And now the major , BluRay. What a load of wonky garbage. Game devs need more than 9 gigs of space right now? Um, there hasn't been a 360 game to my knowledge that required it. I certainly didn't see any dev having a problem publishing games over multiple discs.

maybe the devs aren't stupid enough to let a game go over 9GB when they're fully aware it won't fit on a game disc. we've already had a lengthy discussion over games on multiple discs -- read up on it.

theacoustician said:
Even if they did need this space, can you imagine the cost involved with publishing a game that takes up 20 - 30 gigs? Let me rephrase that, can you imagine publishing a game that takes that much after its compressed and optimized for the processor? How the hell is that going to work exactly? BD-ROMs are only up to x2 speeds.

lol, most media created for games nowadays doesn't start off at a shitty compressed resolution

theacoustician said:
The HDD of the unit is only 40 or 60 gigs, depending on model. If you do a full install, you're only going to have room for 1 or 2 games at a time. If its a partial install, you're still not looking at a lot of games. If it used the HDD as a cache, then you're going to thrash the shit out of it and kill it lickity split. That's if you ONLY use the HDD for games. Remember, there's supposed to be Live-ish functionality and PVR capabilities.

"only"? that's at least twice as big as the 360's, and 360 has already had to use hdd cache for games like oblivion and nnn.

elpmis said:
some dude named teh scud responded:

xbox 360 didnt' start till september 05 and components for the PS3 were being prepared in July.

maybe the devs aren't stupid enough to let a game go over 9GB when they're fully aware it won't fit on a game disc. we've already had a lengthy discussion over games on multiple discs -- read up on it.

lol, most media created for games nowadays doesn't start off at a shitty compressed resolution

"only"? that's at least twice as big as the 360's, and 360 has already had to use hdd cache for games like oblivion and nnn.
Is this a cut and paste response or are you playing devil's advocate?

elpmis said:
oh snap

give me some details plz

When Fuxx and I first started dating (and Genmay didn't know), I drove up for a normal weekend visit. Unfortunatley she hadn't been able to get one afternoon off work, so I decided to set up a Genmay meet for all the people in the Vancouver area. Lots of confirmations, from Vancouver and Bellingham (south of the border about an hour).

I show up at the restaurant 5 minutes early, and nobody else is there. I ask for a table for 11 people (slow time of day). mike27 saunters in 20 minutes later. Nobody else showed up for TWO HOURS. Mike and I ate at our three tables pushed together, trying not to be too embarassed about taking up half the restaurant.

I wanted to talk about the in-development Genmay front page, since we were supposed to be working on it together but he'd been ignoring my PMs. He kept changing the subject back to gay marriage :tard:

So we talked about gay marriage for two hours until finally three guys from Bellingham showed up. At that point Mike left and I hung out with the Bellingham guys for a couple hours walking around Vancouver. They were cool :cool:

EDIT:
They said they were two hours late because of traffic :fly:

Fat Burger said:
When Fuxx and I first started dating (and Genmay didn't know), I drove up for a normal weekend visit. Unfortunatley she hadn't been able to get one afternoon off work, so I decided to set up a Genmay meet for all the people in the Vancouver area. Lots of confirmations, from Vancouver and Bellingham (south of the border about an hour).

I show up at the restaurant 5 minutes early, and nobody else is there. I ask for a table for 11 people (slow time of day). mike27 saunters in 20 minutes later. Nobody else showed up for TWO HOURS. Mike and I ate at our three tables pushed together, trying not to be too embarassed about taking up half the restaurant.

I wanted to talk about the in-development Genmay front page, since we were supposed to be working on it together but he'd been ignoring my PMs. He kept changing the subject back to gay marriage :tard:

So we talked about gay marriage for two hours until finally three guys from Bellingham showed up. At that point Mike left and I hung out with the Bellingham guys for a couple hours walking around Vancouver. They were cool :cool:

EDIT:
They said they were two hours late because of traffic :fly:
at what point did it cross you mind that you should stab him in the face

theacoustician said:
I thought it would be cool to make one and actually give it some style. Then I got in there and started playing around with it and realized the CSS implementation is completely fucked. I simply don't understand how that is considered "easy", yet writing a website is "hard".
We should make profiles here like myspace. :fly:

I'm still waiting for an explanation of exactly why we need games that take up such a massive amount of space and how that's going to be economically feasible (for studios or consumers). I mean, such beasts could be distributed for PC right now and played with the kinds of resolutions the PS3 is claiming.

Did anyone else catch the 720p reference in the original post? Why would they be demo'ing material on a 720p monitor if the PS3 is supposed to be 1080p? I mean, that's "true HD" or at least that's what Sony is pushing, right? If you're designing games in 1280x720@60Hz, that's lower than what a lot of PC games on the market are capable of. So why the massive files? If the games are 1080p, why not show them on 1080 native monitors and show them off in all their glory?

I'd also like some word on how the blue laser diode shortage has been solved. Sony and Nichia are the only companies in the world that can supply the diode needed for the BD-ROM. Nichia is still saying they have manufacturing problems and they still don't have any clue when they'll be ironed out. Sony is mum. It is possible they're stockpiling them, but if so, why make every other manufacture delay their BluRay players and yield ground to HD-DVD in the mean time? Better yet, if other companies realize that their partner Sony is holding out for them and hoarding diodes while their PUH assembilies languish, you can bet hardware support for Blu-Ray will take a dive.

He doesn't want to talk Cell yields? Ok, but IBM still has it at best a 20% yield. Does Sony have special sauce in their manufacturing process? If so, the same scenario as above holds with what will happen to Sony if they screw their partners for their own benefit. I also would like to know how the thing is cooled. It really hasn't been discussed, but we know the 360 is hot. Both units are basically specialized PowerPC cores, so I'd imagine efficency is at least in the same ballpark. So what is Sony going to do about cooling to avoid the MS snafu of overheating units?

While we're on it, what happened to the 2nd HDMI port and all the cool features that were there before this past E3? How about revealing some of the surprises that Sony says they still haven't revealed about the PS3?

This is from Darklight Adept at the [M]:

theacoustician said:
How the hell is that going to work exactly? BD-ROMs are only up to x2 speeds.

Yay, lets throw out meaningless numbers!
Because, you know that BD 2X is OBVIOUSLY the same Speed as DVD 2x amirite?!!

Blu-ray's 2X is 8MBps CONSTANT whereas DVD's 12X is 8.2 - 16.5MBps VARIABLE

BD 2X is NOT as slow as you'd think. Get the picture kids? And imagine, if Sony DOES pull off 4X BD drives like Scriv mentioned, then that's 18MBps to the 12X DVD's 16.5MBps Maximum on the variable scale.