Some new PS3 info

What I have issues with is that even though its been confirmed that 700k will be sent to the US, the amount of PS3s that will be available keep on jumping from the 2 million to the 4 million range as of last night. Yes the parts has probably been in production for a while but they still should have a realistic number of what can be produced before the year is out by now. +/- 2 million units just seems odd.

And I still stand by my statement that through procedural synthesis the need for high in textures on a disk is unnecessary. Why would you put gigs and gigs of textures on a disk when you can have a couple of hundred text files of a couple of Kb and have one of the processors (or in the PS3's case, a cell) create the texture on the fly. At least in that way they can keep the text files in memory all the time because its a drop in the bucket, instead of constantly swapping out textures between the disk and the hard drive. Even if you dont use it to create textures on the fly you can still use it to make a few models as props the engine can use and modify later (which was done with the trees in Oblivion.)

Ryokurin said:
And I still stand by my statement that through procedural synthesis the need for high in textures on a disk is unnecessary. Why would you put gigs and gigs of textures on a disk when you can have a couple of hundred text files of a couple of Kb and have one of the processors (or in the PS3's case, a cell) create the texture on the fly. At least in that way they can keep the text files in memory all the time because its a drop in the bucket, instead of constantly swapping out textures between the disk and the hard drive. Even if you dont use it to create textures on the fly you can still use it to make a few models as props the engine can use and modify later (which was done with the trees in Oblivion.)
I thought about this myself and came to two conclusions
1. Its their way of shortening dev time. If you never have to learn how to use the processor, why bother?
2. They are encoruaging dev's to do this to justify the need for massive disc media.

I think that sets a bad precident. It encourages sloppy coding or the use of gratuitous cut scenes in order to fill the disc. Neither benefits the consumer.

The only plus side is that it makes it much harder to pirate games. 30 gig torrents plus $25 for blank media isn't exactly a deal. Sure, its only a stop gap as broadband becomes faster and media prices go down, but I'm almost certain that crossed Sony's mind when making plans for the PS3. I mean, they made the same arguement in the DCI forums, so why not?

I stay out of your gaming threads usually unless it is for an inane comment. But this conversation from the genmay thread was humorous to some extent. You can skim through the first two quotes to get an idea of the conversation and the last post nearly cracked me up.

The [G]riff said:
Speaking of pics - Here's a real bellows-to-the-bonfire opinion of mine that will really get the flamers going - Am I the only one who doesn't like the physical look of the PS3? It just looks akward. When it stands vertically it looks OK, but on it's side it just looks... well, funny. It looks like something a 1st year product design student would make.

Scrivener said:
Speaking personally, I don't really like the look of any of the next-gen consoles. Maybe I'm in the minority but I like neat, square, and low profile. Sure the PS2/PS3/360/Wii are made to stand on their edges but, come on, that's not going to fit in my cabinet and it's sure not going to look good - especially when my decoder, DVD player, and stereo are all horizontal on the next shelf. Of the three systems I still think the PS3 is slightly more aesthetically pleasing than the others.

Just my personal preference.
VapoRub said:
Haha! Design is my field. BSc gents. In North America the design may not make sense, but apparently it's based on structures in certain parts of Tokyo undergoing massive redevelopment, implying the appeal of modern lifestyle of this decade... meaning it's meant to be stood up like skyscrapers which are popping up all over in Japan and improving life in general.

The whole thing about it being able to sit it on its side is just a nod to the way consoles are 'supposed to be' but it makes you feel special to stand it up. The illusion of choice. Anyways, here in NA, it looks a lot more like the George Foreman grill, which completely changes our perspective on it: We know there's been a past champion behind it, possibly aging and in desperate need of retirement from that sole position in boxing/gaming and so is now endorsing (multi)media to find wider/alternative appeal, it grills shit and knocks out the fat, so much so that the casing is convex. Fuck that's a mean burger.