Some more web stuff

kiwi

Messin’ with Sasquatch
Apr 22, 2005
Summer
Marklar
₥15,707
I want to make static spots on a page (the boxes on the sides on this layout www.mccutchanmedia.com/becki/webpage2.jpg). I am making this website for someone else and when they update the information in those boxes, I want them to only have to update them once, but have them change on all the web pages. The information in the middle will be changing with each page. Any suggestions on the best way to do that? I really just need a starting point, than I can search and figure out all the specifics.

April23 said:
Whoa where has kiwi been?

begin thread derailment... right about....

here.

I've been around, it's just been a busy week and I haven't had much to add to the threads that have been posted, so I've been a little quiet.

SpangeMonkee said:
if you use the the include command, it should work

<!-- #Include virtual="news.htm" -->

So in my CSS div layer, I include that information and it will pull from one spot? That sounds easy enough.

moose said:
quick table layout

http://moose.cc/tmp/asdf.html

i didn't make it look pretty

it might be easiest for you to pick up/obtain a copy of dreamweaver to save your sanity

I know how to do tables and the basics of CSS (and I use dreamweaver), I just want the info on the sides to be the same on all pages and update from the same source so that when the girl I'm making the webpage for updates the information, it updates on all pages with only one spot to change it.

kiwi said:
So in my CSS div layer, I include that information and it will pull from one spot? That sounds easy enough.

It just combines the html together, sorta.

kiwi said:
I know how to do tables and the basics of CSS (and I use dreamweaver), I just want the info on the sides to be the same on all pages and update from the same source so that when the girl I'm making the webpage for updates the information, it updates on all pages with only one spot to change it.

ahhh.. that's different than I thought. If I wasn't totally slammed with my own work, I'd figure out exactly what you need. For now, google is your friend.

hint: add this to your search

-"experts-exchange" -buy -sell -sale -sell -purchase -buy -market -sales

it elemenates most of the clutter.

Why not use some kinda prebuilt blog tool to update the page? I know Word Press can be setup for just about anything.

When I mentioned "includes", I was thinking of ASP. I'm not sure what server options you have. What is the server setup? Standard server with php? Maybe with an SQL db? If so, it'd be REAL easy to do the news thing. You could even setup a little web app so that they can update it without even editing HTML.

Lemme know and I can prolly hook you up with some easy code.

Also, you could prolly do most of that layout with CSS.

Check this coolness out. http://www.spiffycorners.com/

I usually stay away from the standard <table><tb><col> stuff if you can. It just doesn't seem flexible enough. <div> seems so much easier to control your content and still be able to adjust to the user.

I'm by no means an expert in CSS, but I do understand the code. ;)

Use php and an include file that is accessed throughout all pages so you only edit one file and it shows up on all pages.