Some general questions

ZRH

(retired?) Google-F.U.
Mar 5, 2005
<3
Marklar
₥21,054
Does anyone have Nexis-Lexis access for work/school whatever? I need a case, or some cases rather... People v Tomlins, 213 NY 240 [1914], People v Goetz, 68 N.Y.2d 96 [1986], and Erwin v. State, 29 Ohio St. 186 [1876] In order of want. The first one I'd really like to read and my library does not have the court reporter going back that far.

Have you ever read I Am Legend by Matheson? It looks good. I finally got a copy. Vampire zombies, a classic head fuck.

They are finally releasing A Scanner Darkly... But only in select cities. Wtf? I've waited three years for this movie. I read the book when I was 9. IT'S ROTOSCOPED. But it aint out here yet... :mad:

That is about all. I reserve the privilege of interrogating anyone who posts in this thread.

In other news I am also listening to folk music and doing homework for money.

eileenbunny said:
We are going to see A Scanner Darkly tomorrow. I hope it's good.
It'd better be. Seeing as they've ruined Starship Troopers and I, Robot among other classic sci-fi I'm not holding out much hope. The sheer confusion the book manages to portray doesnt seem to be something that would translate well to screen.

Ah and Bushmills Original, first taste just minutes ago. Very smooth, but also very little flavour. Maybe some smoke, but absolutely no taste of note. How disappointing.

Edit: no smoke, just very mellow

This help: (I didnt do a google search, so you may already have this. :iono:)
People v. Tomlins, 213 N.Y. 240, 243 (1914).

(29.) See pp. 12, 22. The family had to move to a less elegant residence when Ben was three, and they moved again when he was four and seven; the last move "appears to have marked a return to former comfort." P. 19.

(30.) Letter from Cardozo to Learned Hand (Apr. 10, 1921), on the death of Hand's mother, quoted in POLENBERG, supra note 8, at 7.

(31.) In 1916, in the only letter that he wrote to Nellie that survives, he said that he would not want to keep living if anything happened to her. See p. 147. For her part, she had earlier said that she would die if he married. See p. 85.

(32.) From 1891, when Ben began his professional career, until 1929, when Nellie died, she was always home when he came home. Except for the last years, when she was ill, she was there to share intelligent conversation, books, chess, the piano, gossip, humor, worries, and the intimacies of family life.

Pp. 86-87. See also supra notes 20-21.

Cardozo, of course, had no children. In this respect, as Judge Noonan has pointed out, he was no different from Justices Holmes and Frankfurter -- two extremely worldly jurists. See NOONAN, supra note 8, at 143. (Judge Noonan also says that Brandeis was childless. In fact, Brandeis had a daughter, Elizabeth Brandeis Raushenbush, a well-known economist.)

(33.) See pp. 138-39 (describing camaraderie on the Court of Appeals and Cardozo's other friendships during his Albany years).

(34.) Letter from Cardozo to Iago Galdston, 2-3 (Aug. 25, 1934), quoted in Goldberg, supra note 21, at 1433.

(35.) Id.

(36.) Letter from Cardozo to Arthur Corbin (Jan. 17, 1918), quoted at p. 328 (discussing DeCicco v. Schweizer, 117 N.E. 807 (N.Y. 1917) (citations omitted).

(37.) Through our great good fortune, in our youth our hearts were touched with fire. It was given to us to learn at the outset that life is a profound and passionate thing. While we are permitted to scorn nothing but indifference, and do not pretend to undervalue the worldly rewards of ambition, we have seen with our own eyes, beyond and above the gold fields, the snowy heights of honor, and it is for us to bear the report to those who come after us.

Oliver Wendell Holmes, Jr., Memorial Day, Address at Keene, N.H., before John Sedgwick Post. No. 4, Grand Army of the Republic (May 30, 1884), in THE ESSENTIAL HOLMES: SELECTIONS FROM THE LETTERS, SPEECHES, JUDICIAL OPINIONS, AND OTHER WRITINGS OF OLIVER WENDELL HOLMES, JR. 80, 86 (Richard A. Posner ed., 1992).

(38.) "The implication [of the promise in question] is that the father appreciated the fact that husband and wife would need some aid in the battle of life, and that he promised this aid to them to induce them to proceed." Letter from Cardozo to Arthur Corbin, supra note 36.

(39.) Cardozo's support for continued separate seating at his synagogue, see supra note 23, might be deemed a counter example, but his (uncharacteristic) involvement appears to have been too brief and unsustained to characterize him as part of a movement.

(40.) P. 478 (reporting that Cardozo joked that Brandeis ought to pay for a statue of Hitler because Hitler had done so much for Zionism).

(41.) P. 100. Kaufman, relying on his interview with Burlingham, reports that the approach was made in 1908 or 1909 at the behest of Attorney General George Wickersham. Stephen Hessler has raised reasons to doubt the date. Wickersham did not become Attorney General until the inauguration of William H. Taft as President in 1909. Between 1907 and 1911, inclusive, there was only one open seat on the court in question, the District Court for the Southern District of New York, and it was filled by the appointment of Learned Hand in 1909. Gerald Gunther has investigated carefully the considerable evidence documenting the choice of Hand, and reports no evidence suggesting that Cardozo was a candidate at that time. See GUNTHER, supra note 6, at 127-28; Letter from Gerald Gunther to Stephen Hessler (Jan. 26, 2000) (on file,, with the Michigan Law Review). Hand himself recalled to Kaufman that he approached Cardozo about the possibility of Cardozo's taking an appointment to the federal bench; Hand was uncertain about the date, except that he said it was before 1913 (by which he probably meant it was before Cardozo's election to the state supreme court). It seems probable that Hand would make this approach only when he was already on the court -- and that would mean that it concerned a subsequent vacancy. The first vacancy after the one filled by Hand, and the only other one that occurred before Cardozo was elected to the state court, occurred in 1912 and was filled with the appointment of Julius M. Mayer, who like Cardozo was Jewish. It appears to me that, although the near-centenarian Burlingham was remarkably clear-headed when Kaufman interviewed him four and a half decades later, the probable explanation is that he got his dates wrong, and that the approach he had in mind was made with respect to that later vacancy; it appears that the federal selectors, like the state selectors who settled on Cardozo the following year, were looking for, or at least favorably disposed to the choice of, a Jewish judge. Cf. Letter from Gunther to Hessler, supra (saying that "the explanation I would least accept is that Burlingham remembered his dates incorrectly. I interviewed Burlingham when he was about to turn 100, and I have never seen anyone, certainly anyone of advanced age, who was clearer on dates than he." -- but also suggesting that "the explanation that the offer was made in 1911 and 1912 is the most persuasive one").

If I am wrong about that, then we apparently have the intriguing fact that Cardozo was offered and rejected the place on the federal bench that went to Learned Hand. This leads to some amusing counterfactual speculation: What happens if Cardozo accepts? A distinct possibility is that Hand languishes in practice, never going on the bench; Cardozo serves out his career with distinction but little fame on the lower federal courts; Judge Andrews' majority opinion in Palsgraf is virtually unknown, cited only in occasional string cites; Herbert Hoover appoints a moderately conservative Republican to the Supreme Court in 1932; the Five Horsemen barely prevail in Nebbia, Blaisdell, the Gold Clause Cases, Jones & Laughlin, West Coast Hotel and the Social Security Cases; weary of all these rightward-looking decisions, Congress goes along with FDR's Court-packing plan to the extent of adding two justices to the Court. And if I am right -- the seat offered Cardozo was the one that eventually went to Mayer -- the speculation as to what happens given an acceptance by Cardozo is different only in that Hand remains a district court judge rather than in practice. (Mayer was appointed to the Second Circuit in 1921 and, when he left that court in 1924, citing inadequate salary, Hand was appointed to fill the vacancy. It seems likely that had Cardozo been on the district court he, like Mayer, would have been promoted ahead of Hand -- but that unlike Mayer he would have served until his death.) Of course, one butterfly more or less and it could all be very different. Cf. RAY BRADBURY, A Sound of Thunder, in THE GOLDEN APPLES OF THE SUN, 135, 149 (Greenwood Press 1971) (1953).

(42.) See Kaufman, Art of Biography, supra note 3, at 1249-50.

(43.) See pp. 3 ("[H]is life included the toughness of his many years as an ambitious lawyer."); p. 4 (Cardozo was "a self-confident, ambitious, and tough-minded man who looked out for himself and those he loved in a conscientious pursuit of success"); p. 75 ("Cardozo's willingness to go all out demonstrates his zeal as an advocate. He was tough."); cf. p. 408 ("[H]e was neither a `hanging judge' nor a `bleeding heart,' but he was tough on the guilty.").

(44.) See, e.g., pp. 71-77.

(45.) "Aristocratic ideals fit comfortably in a man who took pride in his heritage and in his own talents." P. 214.

(46.) See Zimmern v. United States, 298 U.S. 167 (1936).

(47.) Before Marshall became Chief Justice, the justices gave opinions seriatim. He put a prompt end to the practice. See PERCIVAL E. JACKSON, DISSENT IN THE SUPREME COURT 21 (1969).

(48.) See Coombes v. Getz, 285 U.S. 434, 448 (1932) (Cardozo, J., dissenting); see also pp. 494-95 (discussing Coombes). During Marshall's tenure, two justices wrote their first opinions concurring in cases in which Marshall -- who hogged most of the important cases -- wrote the lead opinion. See Rose v. Himely, 8 U.S. (4 Cranch) 241, 281 (1808) (Livingston, J., concurring); Huidekoper's Lessee v. Douglass, 7 U.S. (3 Cranch) 1, 72 (1805) (Johnson, J., concurring). Apart from these two justices, Cardozo was the first since the accession of Marshall whose first opinion as a justice was other than a majority opinion. (There have been several more since Cardozo, in part because this has been an era of fragmentation on the Supreme Court.) See Memorandum from Nancy Vettorello, Research Attorney, University of Michigan Law Library, to the author (Apr. 13, 2000) (on file with author). My thanks to Ms. Vettorello for tenacious research in checking out this point.

(49.) 293 U.S. 388 (1935).

(50.) 295 U.S. 495 (1935).

(51.) In Home Building & Loan Ass'n v. Blaisdell, 290 U.S. 398 (1934), Cardozo wrote a draft concurrence that he eventually withdrew after Hughes, writing the majority opinion, added a passage incorporating much of its substance. See pp. 500-02. As Kaufman says, this draft "was a forceful and candid justification for reinterpreting constitutional provisions in light of their purposes and in light of changing conditions of society." P. 502. Cardozo's emphasis on the importance of growing social interaction (speaking of the state "furthering its own good by maintaining the economic structure on which the good of all depends," p. 500-501 (citations omitted)), had been foreshadowed as long ago as 1921. See BENJAMIN N. CARDOZO, Introduction. The Method of Philosophy, in THE NATURE OF THE JUDICIAL PROCESS 9, at 24 (1931) (speaking of "the growing complexity of social relations" as having revealed the inadequacy of the earlier rule "that A. may conduct his business as he pleases, even though the purpose is to cause loss to B., unless the act involves the creation of a nuisance").

In Railroad Retirement Board v. Alton Railroad Co., 295 U.S. 330 (1935), in which the Court held unconstitutional a federal statute requiring railroads subject to the Interstate Commerce Act to establish retirement and pension plans, Cardozo helped Hughes craft his fine dissent. Cardozo suggested the analogy between a pension law and workmen's compensation laws. "What is the distinction between compensating men who have been incapacitated by accident (though without fault of the employer), and compensating men who have been injured by the wear and tear of time, the slow attrition of the years?" Pp. 519-20 (citations omitted). Hughes adopted the argument and much of the language. See 295 U.S. at 384.

In Grosjean v. American Press Co., 297 U.S. 233 (1936), Cardozo turned the Court around. Louisiana, under Huey Long, had passed a statute taxing the advertising receipts of newspapers and other periodicals. Justice Sutherland originally wrote an opinion of the Court holding the tax invalid as a denial of equal protection because it made the size of the tax depend on the publication's circulation. Cardozo drafted a concurrence that rejected this basis and concluded that the tax was a violation of freedom of the press because it discriminated against newspapers in favor of other forms of business. Sutherland rewrote his opinion, adopting a rationale much like Cardozo's. See pp. 539-41.

(52.) I made this suggestion in a previous article. See Richard D. Friedman, Switching Time and Other Thought Experiments: The Hughes Court and Constitutional Transformation, 142 U. PA. L. REV. 1891, 1944 (1994) [hereinafter Switching Time]. Professor Barry Cushman has challenged the characterization, properly pointing out that some of Roberts' decisions for the Court were anything but timid. See BARRY CUSHMAN, RETHINKING THE NEW DEAL COURT: THE STRUCTURE OF A CONSTITUTIONAL REVOLUTION 262-63 n.58 (1998). I have nevertheless adhered to the view that some form of timidity must account in part for Roberts' mysterious conduct in Morehead v. New York et rel. Tipaldo, 298 U.S. 587 (1936), in which Roberts "failed to write separately, despite the fact that the majority opinion clearly adopted a position that he must have found appalling (and in Cushman's account, he failed even to state his mind clearly in conference)." Richard D. Friedman, Taking Decisions Seriously: A Review of Rethinking the New Deal Court: The Structure of a Constitutional Revolution, 24 J. SUP. CT. HIST. 314, 320-21 (1999). The stark contrast in this respect with Cardozo -- who clearly was willing to press his views upon his more senior colleagues -- seems to fortify this conclusion. To put the point in somewhat oversimplified terms, Roberts sought the cover of his colleagues, and Cardozo did not.

In one interesting respect, however, Roberts and Cardozo acted similarly. On the basis of the available transcripts, it appears that Roberts asked hardly any questions at oral argument, and Cardozo was the next most silent member of the Court. (Justice Van Devanter, the most senior associate justice, asked the next fewest, and all the other members of the Court were far more active questioners.) See Switching Time, supra, at 1944 n.267.

(53.) See CARDOZO, supra note 51, at 21.

(54.) See id. at 22.

(55.) See BENJAMIN N. CARDOZO, Adherence to Precedent. The Subconscious Element in the Judicial Process, in THE NATURE OF THE JUDICIAL PROCESS, supra note 51, at 142, 178-79. See also id. at 179 ("In the endless process of testing and retesting, there is a constant rejection of the dross, and a constant retention of whatever is pure and sound and fine.").

(56.) See CARDOZO, supra note 51, at 28.

(57.) Id. at 22-23.

(58.) Id. at 25.

(59.) See CARDOZO, supra note 55, at 178.

(60.) See CARDOZO, supra note 51, at 25.

(61.) P. 199. See, e.g., BENJAMIN N. CARDOZO, Functions and Ends (Continued). Conclusion, in THE GROWTH OF THE LAW 109, 143 (1924) ("The victory is not for the partisans of an inflexible logic nor yet for the levelers of all rule and all precedent, but the victory is for those who shall know how to fuse these two tendencies together in adaptation to an end as yet imperfectly discerned.").

(62.) Of course, he was not alone in this dual recognition. Consider this famous passage by Justice Holmes:

I recognize without hesitation that judges must and do legislate, but they
do so only interstitially; they are confined from molar to molecular
motions. A common-law judge could not say I think the doctrine of
consideration a bit of historical nonsense and shall not enforce it in my
court.

Southern Pacific Co. v. Jensen, 244 U.S. 205, 221 (1917) (Holmes, J., dissenting), quoted in BENJAMIN N. CARDOZO, The Methods of History, Tradition and Sociology, in THE NATURE OF THE JUDICIAL PROCESS, supra note 51, at 51, 69.

(63.) CARDOZO, supra note 51, at 20

(64.) CARDOZO, supra note 55, at 164.

(65.) Id.

(66.) Id. at 165.

(67.) Id. at 149.

(68.) CARDOZO, supra note 51, at 34.

(69.) Id.

(70). Id. at 30.

(71.) Id. at 32.

(72.) "There were brave men before Agamemnon; and before the dawn of the last decade there were those in jurisprudence who strove to see the truth in the workings of the judicial process, to see it steadily and whole, and to report what they had seen with sincerity and candor." Benjamin N. Cardozo, Jurisprudence, Address Before the New York State Bar Association Meeting, Hotel Astor (Jan. 22, 1932), in SELECTED WRITINGS OF BENJAMIN NATHAN CARDOZO, supra note 12, at 7, 10-11.

(73.) Id. at 14-16; see also id. at 30 ("[T]here must always be remembrance of the truth that of the ends to be achieved definiteness and order are themselves among the greatest and most obvious.").

(74.) Id. at 19. Cardozo cautioned that he was referring not to dicta -- though he recognized that even they "have been propagating forces and have borne a fruitful progeny" -- but to "the professed and declared principle dictating the conclusion." See id. at 19-20.

This essay generated a heated private response from Jerome Frank. See pp. 458-60. Professor Goldberg takes Kaufman to task for concluding that "Jerome Frank was simply too ethereal for Benjamin Cardozo." P. 461. According to Goldberg, "Cardozo did not reject Frank's Realism because he found it `too ethereal.' He rejected it because he thought it was wrong! And he thought it was wrong because of its reductionist claim that legal concepts and principles must be reduced to statements about observable causes and consequences." Goldberg, supra note 21, at 1453. Goldberg is surely right that Cardozo thought Frank was wrong, and for the reason he says -- and I do not think that Kaufman meant to suggest otherwise. But it also seems clear that at least one reason why Cardozo thought Frank was wrong was that this "reductionist claim" ignored the reality that Cardozo confronted every day, that doctrine has generative and constraining force. (I find quite mystifying Goldberg's assertion that "Posner and Kaufman ... do[] their best to ignore Jurisprudence."

See Goldberg, supra note 21, at 1453. In fact, Posner describes it as "neglected" and as a fitting capstone to Cardozo's writing on jurisprudence. See POSNER, supra note 1, at 21, 31. Kaufman gives a full and fair description of the lecture, its background, and its aftermath.)

(75.) See CARDOZO, supra note 51, at 49.

(76.) See id. at 40.

(77.) See id. at 30-31; CARDOZO, supra note 62, at 51-58.

(78.) See CARDOZO, supra note 51, at 31; CARDOZO, supra note 62, at 58-64.

(79.) CARDOZO, supra note 62, at 66. This passage is presented prominently on the wall of the lobby of the Benjamin N. Cardozo School of Law in New York City.

(80.) CARDOZO, supra note 62, at 72; see id. at 65-66.

(81.) In a letter to Learned Hand, Cardozo expressed the hope that in his judicial work he was "interpreting the common will," the fear that this was "a sham," and the sense that he was "expressing thoughts and convictions not found in the books and yet not totally [his] own." P. 215.

(82.) BENJAMIN N. CARDOZO, The Method Sociology. The Judge as a Legislator, in THE NATURE OF THE JUDICIAL PROCESS, supra note 51, at 98, 106. Kaufman discusses criticisms of this passage -- that it is vague, that it is elitist, and that it is a euphemism for the judge's own values. See pp. 214-16.

(83.) Moreover, as Kaufman points out, "Cardozo espoused the dominance of community standards, both as actually practiced and in their normative or ideal sense, without advertising the problem that these two standards, actual and normative values, might often conflict with one another." P. 211.

(84.) BENJAMIN N. CARDOZO, The Growth of Law, and the Methods of Judging, in THE GROWTH OF THE LAW, supra note 61, at 56, 64.

(85.) CARDOZO, supra note 55, at 166.

(86.) Grant Gilmore said that The Nature of the Judicial Process "has almost no intellectual content." GILMORE, supra note 16, at 76.

(87.) Kaufman reports an almost rapturous reception to Cardozo's Storrs Lectures, which became The Nature of the Judicial Process, and to the publication of the book itself. See pp. 217-18.

(88.) See POSNER, supra note 1, at 31-32 ("I believe ... that little that has survived of legal realism cannot be found, more articulately as well as more temperately expressed, in Cardozo's jurisprudential writings. The limitations of his jurisprudence are the limitations of pragmatic jurisprudence generally."); Kaye, supra note 1, at 1041 ("[D]espite my own wide reading about my beloved craft, I have yet to find a better articulation of what appellate judges do."); Noonan, supra note 21, at 7 (calling The Nature of the Judicial Process "still the best account of the judge's job").

(89.) CARDOZO, supra note 55, at 161.

(90.) Benjamin N. Cardozo, Law and Literature, 14 YALE REV. 699 (1925), reprinted in LAW AND LITERATURE AND OTHER ESSAYS AND ADDRESSES 3, 16 (Fred B. Rothman and Co. 1986) (1931).

(91.) CARDOZO, supra note 82, at 136-37.

(92.) Cardozo, supra note 90, at 15.

(93.) AMERICAN LEGAL REALISM 3 (William W, Fisher III et al. eds., 1993).

(94.) Goldberg, supra note 21, at 1423.

(95.) Snyder v. Massachusetts, 291 U.S. 97, 114 (1934).

(96.) Despite Gilmore's characterization of Cardozo as a judge who "could, when he was so inclined, find consideration anywhere," GRANT GILMORE, THE DEATH OF CONTRACT 69 (Ronald K.L. Collins ed., 2d ed. 1995) (1974), Kaufman shows that Cardozo "was not always so inclined.... holding fast to traditional doctrine" when the alternative seemed to be destruction of the basic doctrine, p. 324 (discussing Dougherty v. Salt, 227 N.Y. 200 (1919)).

(97.) Cardozo's general attitude toward the law of accidents derived from his acceptance of the central fault-based principle of negligence doctrine. That acceptance took him a long way toward the decision of most negligence cases, for he did not constantly have to revisit first principles.... He sought to apply doctrine impartially, in line with its purposes.

P. 264. See also p. 265 ("A major theme of Cardozo's negligence decisions was his effort to develop a coherent explanation of two troublesome concepts, duty of care and proximate cause, that helped define the extent of a defendant's liability to an injured party."); pp. 345-46 ("The field [of the statute of frauds] is one where the law should hold fast to fundamental conceptions of contract and duty, and follow them with loyalty to logical conclusions.") (quoting Imperator Realty Co. v. Tull, 228 N.Y. 447, 455 (1920)). That Cardozo was a conceptualist is the major thrust of Professor Goldberg's review. See, e.g., Goldberg, supra note 21, at 1463 (Macpherson, Hynes, and Palsgraf "each posed problems in the application of the concept of duty, problems that he thought had to be resolved by a careful and sensitive analysis of precedents and the concepts contained within them.").

(98.) Usually, when Cardozo did not think that the rule should be altered, he followed it and accepted the consequences, as in the teachers' pension cases [O'Brien v. N.Y. State Teachers' Retirement Board, 155 N.E. 884 (N.Y. 1926), and others discussed at pp. 430-32] in which the strict enforcement of procedural rules deprived the beneficiaries of benefits. Sometimes, especially in his private memoranda to his colleagues on the Court of Appeals, Cardozo was explicit that the result called for by applicable legal principles was harsh, but that the court had no power to alter it. His eventual refusal to recognize a remedy for the wife in Allen v. Alien [159 N.E. 656 (N.Y. 1927)], whose husband had jailed her without cause, was just such a case.

P. 573; cf. p. 488 (Cardozo writing to a friend: "What is the use of striving for standards of judicial propriety" if "lapses" such as a magistrate's inflammatory opinion in dismissing charges against anti-Nazi demonstrators are condoned?) (citations omitted); p. 514 (to the same friend: "The difficulty is that most people fancy it to be the business of a court to condemn as `unconstitutional' everything that is unfair. Nothing of the kind! There is room for a lot of immorality within the confines of the constitution and of constitutional law.") (citations omitted).

(99.) For example:

Cardozo ... stood by the assumption of risk defense. He believed that life
was risky and that risks had to be accepted.... [He] simply followed the
rule that denied recovery when the risk was obvious without any
consideration whatsoever of the economic pressures that might cause a
worker to take a chance with his own life.

Pp. 258-59; see also, e.g., p. 310 ("Cardozo approached negligence law with a fundamental acceptance of its central premises, even when some of its principal features, including the dominance of the fault principle over strict liability and the persistence of some of the defenses to the negligence action, were coming under strong attack.").

(100.) Dissent presumably plays a comparatively larger role in Cardozo's contribution on the Supreme Court than on the Court of Appeals because of the very different institutional and ideological climates on those courts during his tenures, not because of any changing personal orientation on the part of Cardozo.

(101.) Cf. POSNER, supra note 1, at 127 ("The second most important factor in Cardozo's eminence may well be his judicial program ... of bringing law closer to the (informed) non-lawyer's sense of justice.").

(102.) See, e.g., pp. 309, 556-57.

(103.) P. 430. See also p. 318 (discussing the suggestion that Cardozo's decision for the plaintiff in Wood v. Duff Gordon, 222 N.Y. 88 (1917), was motivated by sympathy for the worker plaintiff). As noted by Kaufman, "The judge who took verdicts away from children in Perry [v. Rochester Lime Co., 219 N.Y. 60 (1916)] and Adams [v. Bullock, 227 N.Y. 208 (1919)] and from a poor widow in Palsgraf would not have been troubled about holding a salesman to his contract." P. 318. Judge Noonan makes a point of the fact that Cardozo imposed costs on the losing plaintiff in Palsgraf. See NOONAN, supra note 8, at 144. Judge Posner offers reasons to doubt the significance of this fact. See POSNER, supra note 1, at 16-17, 36-37; see also p. 656 n.43.

(104.) 305 U.S. at xxvi (1938) (Hughes, C.J., memorial tribute in memory of Mr. Justice Cardozo).

(105.) See Snyder v. Massachusetts, 291 U.S. 97, 115 (1.934) (making the test "whether in the particular conditions [of the case, the alleged violation] is so flagrantly unjust that the Constitution of the United States steps in to forbid it"); Palko v. Connecticut, 302 U.S. 319, 325 (1937) (listing liberties that "might be lost, and justice still be done"); but cf. id. at 326-27 (regarding freedom of thought and speech as "the matrix, the indispensable condition, of nearly every other form of freedom").

(106.) 131 N.E. 898, 900 (N.Y. 1921) (quoting in part Roscoe Pound, Mechanical Jurisprudence, 8 COLUM, L. REV. 605,610 (1908), and Noble State Bank v. Haskell, 219 U.S. 104, 110 (1911) (Holmes, J.)). See also Schubert v. August Schubert Wagon Co., 164 N.E. 42, 42 (N.Y. 1928) (also referring to "a jurisprudence of conceptions" and saying, "Few formulas are meant to serve as universals, A progeny deformed or vicious may be known as illegitimate.").

(107.) Hynes. 131 N.E., at 899.

(108.) Id.

(109.) Id. at 900.

(110.) Id.

(111.) Id.

(112.) Id.

(113.) See, e.g., p. 315.

(114.) Kaufman emphasizes that Cardozo was "confident in his ability to read case records and decide when a factual issue was sufficiently clear that it should be decided by the court and not by a jury," p. 257, because he "brought from his own legal practice a confidence in his own ability to grasp particular factual settings," p. 254.

(115.) In Mirizio v. Mirizio, 161 N.E. 461 (N.Y. 1928), the plaintiff sued her husband for separation on grounds of nonsupport. The defendant, an auto mechanic, defended on the basis that she had refused to live with him as his wife. The plaintiff eventually testified that she had been willing to live with him but not to have sexual intercourse until they had been married in a religious ceremony. Cardozo responded that this would not have been a bona fide offer: "For people in their social station, dwelling in one or two rooms, such an offer, if made, would have the aspect of a subterfuge." See id. at 462. As Kaufman says, the gratuitous reference to social station "suggests considerable lack of knowledge on Cardozo's part about the sexual proclivities of people of his own social station." P. 231. In Hoadley v. Hoadley, 155 N.E. 728 (N.Y. 1927), Cardozo wrote an opinion denying a husband's plea for annulment of the marriage on the ground of the wife's insanity. As Professor Polenberg has shown, Cardozo was affected by "fears of male concupiscence," POLENBERG, supra note 8, at 145, which he expressed in the overripe line, "There is instinctive revolt against the notion that infirmity of the mind shall be used as a pretense for relief against satiety of the body," 155 N.E. at 732. According to Polenberg, however, there was nothing in the record suggesting that the husband sought the annulment because he had tired of the wife sexually. See POLENBERG, supra note 8, at 146-47. In People v. Carey, 119 N.E. 83 (N.Y. 1918), the court reversed a rape conviction because the corroboration requirement had not been met, but Cardozo was among a minority that would have held additionally that the trial court had erred in refusing to admit evidence that the victim was unchaste. "The truth remains," he wrote in an unpublished draft opinion, "that chastity has once been yielded, that honor has been lost, and that great motive which inspires resistance even unto death has gone. To deny this is to ignore a truth which all history and all literature and all experience proclaim." P. 404 (citations omitted). As Kaufman says, it was doubtful that this view "was derived from experience, certainly not his own." P. 404.

(116.) Kaufman suggests an exception with respect to the assumption of risk defense:

Cardozo had no personal experience that would have taught him how workers
often had to accept dangerous conditions in order to make a living. While
he was willing to protect train passengers like himself who were in a hurry
to leave the train, he had never had a job like washing windows.

P. 259. But neither have most judges had such experience, and Cardozo, as Kaufman points out, p. 645 n.46, had cases in practice that could have sensitized him to the issue. Certainly Cardozo understood the concept of economic pressure. See, e.g., Letter from Cardozo to Arthur Corbin, supra note 36 ("Husband and wife would need some aid in the battle of life."); Coler v. Corn Exchange Bank, 164 N.E. 882, 885 (N.Y. 1928) ("The law does not stand upon punctilios if there is a starving wife at home."). And it seems highly improbable that Cardozo had ever jumped off a railroad plank into a river -- but that was a situation he understood well enough.

(117.) 298 U.S. 238, 327 (1936) (quoting Schechter Poultry Corporation v. United States, 295 U.S. 495, 554 (1935)).

(118.) Cardozo, supra note 90, at 7.

(119.) See id. at 9. A related point is that Cardozo had a tendency to include in his opinions all reasons supporting his conclusion. Kaufman is probably correct in attributing this tendency to the lawyer's habit of including in an argument all significant supporting points. See p. 446. But I think there is something more as well: If a judge finds it difficult to articulate just why a given result should be reached, then the natural tendency is to offer all significant supporting reasons, leaving the case incompletely theorized.

(120.) See supra note 61 (quoting Cardozo's statement on "adaptation to an end as yet imperfectly discerned").

(121.) Cardozo, supra note 90, at 9.

(122.) Berkey v. Third Avenue Railway, 155 N.E. 58, 61 (N.Y. 1926).

(123.) For example, Cardozo wrote that:

Those who think more of symmetry and logic in the development of legal
rules than of practical adaptation to the attainment of a just result will
be troubled by a classification where the lines of division are so wavering
and blurred.... Where the line is to be drawn between the important and the
trivial cannot be settled by a formula.

Jacob & Youngs, Inc. v. Kent, 129 N.E. 889, 891 (N.Y. 1921)

(124.) See, e.g., Hynes v. New York Central R. Co., 131 N.E. 898, 899 (N.Y. 1921) ("Rights and duties in systems of living law are not built upon such quicksands.").

(125.) See Carter v. Carter Coal Co., 298 U.S. 238, 327 (1936) ("At times ... the waves of causation will have radiated so far that their undulatory motion, if discernible at all, will be too faint or obscure, too broken by cross-currents, to be heeded by the law."); Weisberg, supra note 16, at 325 ("Seizing upon the dramatic visual aspects of [Hynes] ... Cardozo thrice prepared his audience for the ultimate outcome by enveloping crucial legal points in metaphors of geometry and nature."); see also RICHARD H. WEISBERG, POETHICS 19-20 (1992).

(126.) Berkey, 155 N.E. at 61.

(127.) Thus, in Berkey, Cardozo wrote:

We say at times that the corporate entity will be ignored when the parent
corporation operates a business through a subsidiary which is characterized
as an `alias' or a `dummy.' All this is well enough if the picturesqueness
of the epithets does not lead us to forget that the essential term to be
defined is the act of operation.

Id.

(128.) William Powers, Jr., Thaumatrope, 77 TEXAS L. REV. 1319, 1330 (1999) (reviewing ANDREW L. KAUFMAN, CARDOZO (1998) and offering an alternative, far clearer version of what Cardozo might have written in Palsgraf).

(129.) Berkey Photo, Inc. v. Eastman Kodak Co., 603 F.2d 263,273 (2d Cir. 1979).

(130.) Pp. 358-59 (quoting Arthur L. Corbin, Mr. Justice Cardozo and the Law of Contracts, 52 HARV. L. REV. 408, 409 (1939)).

(131.) With respect to MacPherson v. Buick Motor Co., 111 N.E. 1050 (N.Y. 1916), Kaufman writes that Cardozo's opinion "virtually completed the process" established by a line of New York cases that "had broadened the exception [to the privity requirement] for dangerous articles to the point where it seemed about to swallow the general rule of nonliability." P. 271. Cardozo's opinion "did not acknowledge that any important principle was at stake.... Cardozo presented the new rule in the most modest terms. This style of argument would become typical of Cardozo's writing -- the attempt to narrow differences of principle or to turn apparent differences of principle into differences of application." P. 273. Kaufman shows that Palsgraf v. Long Island R.R. Co., 162 N.E. 99 (N.Y. 1928), "did not represent a radical shift from traditional negligence doctrine. It was traditional doctrine, newly formulated." P. 303. It is, of course, "a legal landmark," because of "[t]he bizarre facts, Cardozo's spin on the legal issue, the case's timing in relation to the Restatement project, its adaptability for law-school teaching, the policy-oriented dissent by Andrews, Cardozo's rhetoric, and Cardozo's name." Id. In Allegheny College v. National Chautauqua County, 159 N.E. 173 (N.Y. 1927), Kaufman writes, Cardozo "demonstrate[d] how the case could be fitted within the traditional view of consideration without recourse to `the innovation of promissory estoppel.'" P. 333 (quoting Allegheny College, 159 N.E. at 175). He also points out the strain in doing so. See p. 662 n.74 (noting that Alfred Konefsky, How to Read, or at Least Not Misread, Cardozo in the Allegheny College Case, 36 BUFFALO L. REV. 645 (1987), contends that "Cardozo expanded consideration while purporting to respect conventional doctrine").

(132.) "When he was done, he had clarified and changed New York contract law in small but important ways." P. 313.

(133.) See Clarence Darrow, Loeb-Leapold Plea (Chicago, 1924), in ATTORNEY FOR THE DAMNED: CLARENCE DARROW IN THE COURTROOM 16, at 35 (Arthur Weinberg ed., University of Chicago Press 1989) (1957) ("Somewhere in the infinite processes that go to the making up of the boy or the man something slipped.").

(134.) Mous, supra note 19, at 39.

(135.) See id. (Cardozo "withdrew from the manner of living followed by most of his fellow men. Yet he did not seek refuge in morbid introspection or in an ivory tower.... [H]e reentered [twentieth century living] disguised as an eighteenth-century scholar and gentleman.... [His style] is neither twentieth century nor American.").

(136.) See, e.g., pp. 126-38 (listing several factors that contributed to Cardozo's eminence, chief among them his rhetorical skill and his pragmatism); POSNER, supra note 1, at 19 (noting that "virtually all the critics of Cardozo, even Frank, dutifully acknowledge his greatness en route to delivering their criticisms," that critics and admirers are spare in details, and that therefore a mystery remains); Goldberg, supra note 21, at 1474 ("Cardozo was a great jurist because he self-consciously combined astute lawyerly analysis with a sensitivity to social conditions and social norms.... But legal academics will understand fully why Cardozo was a great judge and jurist only when they are willing to question realist orthodoxy."); Powers, supra note 128, at 1334 (acknowledging that Kaufman has persuaded him that Cardozo was a great judge).

Richard D. Friedman, Ralph W. Aigler Professor of Law, University of Michigan Law School. B.A. 1973, J.D. 1976, Harvard; D.Phil. 1979, Oxford. -- Ed. Many thanks to Paul Diller, Stephen Hessler, Charles Keckler, and Nancy Vettorello.

I saw the movie with Charleton Heston. Turns it outs Earth he landed on.

Thanks fly, I think that is some kind of listing about "Albert Jacob Cardozo" though. He was a judge in NYC or something. I've really turned google inside out looking for Tomlins but the complete opinion doesnt appear anywhere.

itburnswhenipee said:
So I turn on the History channel. and what do I see? The Road Warrior? What the fuck!? Is this some part of history I missed?
Like totally.

EquilibriumRotoscope2.gif

Rotoscope on the cheap.

Took me about 5 minutes to figure out a script and about 10 minutes to render/edit it.

edit: made another one for the hell of it.

EquilibriumRotoscope3.gif

Last edited:
Haha, equilibrium! I was mostly interested because I remember watching Heavy Metal forever ago and the movement anyway, looked interesting. There was also a LOTR movie that was made in the same style, not sure if anyone else here has actually seen that...

thrawn said:
Whiskey? I am opposed to alcohol in all its forms.

blended even :(
Irish! It's supposed to be blended. I think, single malt, single grain. I wanted to try it. It was that or rum. Both of which Ive not had before.

FlamingGlory said:
Irish! It's supposed to be blended. I think, single malt, single grain. I wanted to try it. It was that or rum. Both of which Ive not had before.

It's not bad. Better than rum. I would have gone with it also faced with rum.

FlamingGlory said:
Haha, equilibrium! I was mostly interested because I remember watching Heavy Metal forever ago and the movement anyway, looked interesting. There was also a LOTR movie that was made in the same style, not sure if anyone else here has actually seen that...

:tapping foot::mad:

Not only do I have the Ralph Bakshi movie on DVD. I also saw it in the theater, in the movie original release.

Arátoeldar said:
:tapping foot::mad:

Not only do I have the Ralph Bakshi movie on DVD. I also saw it in the theater, in the movie original release.
Well then you have the original release of The Hobbit too, eh? :p

It came out before I was born man...

FlamingGlory said:

Yeah, there were a few of those around the early 80s. LOTR, Heavy Metal & Wizards.

So, we went to a charming little theater and saw A Scanner Darkly. It was good. I wish I had read the book first. I'm still processing it. Kinda depressing. Keanu Reeves actually wasn't that bad in it. I can see why it may bomb if released nationally, rather than in select theaters. It's not exactly something that would appeal to the masses. There's no action or explosions, no sex, and very little to keep you occupied except talk. I really want to see the film again. Rotoscope seems to me like a really great choice for the film too. Go see it if you can.