Soilent Green is .... tofu?

Lord Flaccid said:
What the hell is tofu, anyway? I eat real food.

It's soy. I was a vegetarian for a long time and I lived on Boca brand frozen stuff, pastas, rice, and veggies. The Garden brand is made from nuts and nasty ish like that. The Boca is made from soy and is quite tastyt considering what it is. I have tried to eat the Asain version of tofu and it cannot even pass as real food. That's the nasty stuff that feels like wet sponge on your tongue and it just seems to keep expanding the more you chew. Nasty *shudder*

This is the good stuff...
http://www.bocaburger.com/main.aspx?s=&m=index

Last edited:
Bubbles said:
It's soy. I was a vegetarian for a long time and I lived on Boca brand frozen stuff, pastas, rice, and veggies. The Garden brand is made from nuts and nasty ish like that. The Boca is made from soy and is quite tastyt considering what it is. I have tried to eat the Asain version of tofu and it cannot even pass as real food. That's the nasty stuff that feels like wet sponge on your tongue and it just seems to keep expanding the more you chew. Nasty *shudder*
I always thought tofu was either like yougurt (silky tofu) or like scrambled eggs (hard tofu). You're right, it doesn't really taste like anything, but that's part of the point. You can make it taste like whatever you want.

Bubbles said:

This is the good stuff...
http://www.bocaburger.com/main.aspx?s=&m=index
Morning Star Farms Prime Grillers > that

And Publix has yummy tofu crumbles. Good in chili, tacos, and lasgana.

Man I love those Boca Burgers. For not having any meat in them they're pretty darn good. And Morningstar Farms makes yummy flavored ones like tomato basil pizza, fajita, etc. They are gooooooood. :drool:

edit: beaten by fly

theacoustician said:
I always thought tofu was either like yougurt (silky tofu) or like scrambled eggs (hard tofu). You're right, it doesn't really taste like anything, but that's part of the point. You can make it taste like whatever you want.

I've never seen or heard of tofu with the conststency of yougurt. The scrambled egg consistency is made from crushing up a block of regular Asain tofu. My parents used to cut it into cubes, but it all feels really not good on my tongue - I'm a texture person. Having no flavor is not really part of the point, but part of the convenience. Even flavoring it how you want it still has that "wet-sponge" thing kicking.

Lord Flaccid said:
Man I love those Boca Burgers. For not having any meat in them they're pretty darn good. And Morningstar Farms makes yummy flavored ones like tomato basil pizza, fajita, etc. They are gooooooood. :drool:

edit: beaten by fly

I've used the morning star crumbles in everything from Pasta sauce, to chili, to hamburger helper. I'm a fan of the crumbles, definately.

Bubbles said:
I've used the morning star crumbles in everything from Pasta sauce, to chili, to hamburger helper. I'm a fan of the crumbles, definately.
Try their Prime Grillers, if you haven't. I find their taste to be much better than Boca. Actaully, I liked Boca's better until about 2-3 years ago, they changed the 'smoke' flavor and made it gross.

The Prime Grillers w/ cheese are also good, as are the corn dogs.

fly said:
Try their Prime Grillers, if you haven't. I find their taste to be much better than Boca. Actaully, I liked Boca's better until about 2-3 years ago, they changed the 'smoke' flavor and made it gross.

The Prime Grillers w/ cheese are also good, as are the corn dogs.

My favorite are the Boca smoked sausages with a little spicy brown mustard..........:drool:

I'll try the prime grillers next time I'm int he mood for some meatless cuisine.

Bubbles said:
My favorite are the Boca smoked sausages with a little spicy brown mustard..........:drool:

I'll try the prime grillers next time I'm int he mood for some meatless cuisine.
Never had the smoked sausage. Sounds good

My wife has been pushing tofu on me forever. She's always buying Silk Soy milk too. The tofu icecream isn't bad.

I'm a carnivore so the tofu never hits the spot a big hunk of meat does.